Polurrian Bay Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Angel Hotel(Helston)
The Bay Hotel(Coverack)
View Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
Tregildry(Gillan)
Meudon Hotel(Falmouth)
View Hotel
All reviewsvista loungefamily hotelsea viewgames roombaby listeningleisure facilitiestable footballcomfy sofaswaiting staffamazing viewslounge areathe cliffstunning hotelbreakfast and dinnerwine listkids clubindoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Anyone reading my review in 2005 will know that I said I would never visit again as after many years of visiting the Polurrian standards had dropped to rock bottom. My letter of complaint to Mr Barlow was replied to with promises to do better and they have. We were tempted back by the offer of a short break and were upgraded to a superior seaview room (72).The whole hotel has been redecorated and fixtures and fittings upgraded. Our room was lovely. The jury is still out on the new decor in the lounge and dining room however. I am not sure it is inkeeping with an Edwardian building. The curtains have been replaced with white venetian blinds leaving the rooms very 'stark'. I think the sun will be a problem in summer, whilst its nice to see one doesn't want to be blinded by it.When we arrived I requested a cream tea but was told they had run out of cream (2pm).We sat in the lounge thinking 'here we go again' but were then told if we didn't mind waiting they would go out and get some, it was as lovely as ever, well done.I recognised none of the staff from before but they are all very friendly and helpful. They have a good understanding of english but were appt to be a little forgetful, we often had to request things more than once.Our meal on the first night was dreadful but we later discovered it was the Chefs night off. We waited 40 minutes from sorbet to main course and then the food was over cooked and cold. To be fair the duty manager was very apologetic and concerned.Breakfast the next day was a story of disorganisation. We waited 20 minutes from being shown to our table to our tea / coffee order being taken (the couple next to us had waited half an hour) and it was 45 minutes before we got our cooked food ( the requested sauce never did arrive). From then on though things improved, dinner that night was lovely, the time between courses perfect. Next morning Breakfast was alot better. We were seated by the duty manager who took our order there and then.Overall though the food did not match the standard of previous visits but I appreciate we were only there 2 nights and in the past we have stayed for 2 weeks at a time
We heard other storys from other guests of requested rooms not being available and rooms not being serviced.
And our verdict? Well you cannot beat this hotels position and if you have a sense of humour, can accept the odd mistake and relax then give it ago. We have booked again!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Martinthecritic
Reviewed 23 September 2008

23.9.`08

We have just had an enjoyable 5 nights at the Polurrian Hotel at Mullion in Cornwall.

The staff were most pleasant and helpful and the food excellent.
Lovely views of course and so many interesting places to visit.

On arrival we had a shock, - they had double booked our requested superior sea-view room 26. - because of a system of placing notes on their bookings to say "do not change this booking" - which did not happen with our reservation notes !!

We went to have a delicious light lunch while they talked it over and then they offered us a complimentary up-grading to their Poldhu suite, which was very acceptable.

A most enjoyable time there - excellent menu and the best scones for afternoon tea I have ever tasted !

This hotel has been bought by the Barlow family, who own the esteemed Treglos Hotel and also the Budock Vean hotel.

We enjoyed our stay very much.

Pauline Yeandle, Ascot, Berkshire. September 2008

1  Thank Groggle
Reviewed 16 September 2008

This was our second stay at the hotel, our previous was exactly a year ago as it was a long weekend for a wedding anniversary. The location is excellent, the views superb. The top floor rooms all have good views, the larger rooms on the middle floor have bigger bathrooms, but seem a little darker.

We upgraded to the poldhu suite, this is an excellent room, views are superb, the separate living room spacious, and a small bunk room makes it a realistic family room if you want to take your children.

The food in the main dining room is of mixed quality, some being very good, some rather bland.

The food was a little let down by the inexperience of the staff, although they are very keen to help, somehow the details get missed: A starter served without its sauce, which arrived 10 minutes later, a main course with one of its listed accompaniments missing, a note being taken for brown toast with only white arriving. Small things, that remove the 'luxury' feel, but not a big issue if you don't expect perfection in a 3 star hotel.

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment, and the improvements since last year are noticeable. There is still some way to go, and when everything is done this will be a great hotel, which will still have an interesiting character. At the moment this is perhaps still a work in progress, but it shows great promise.

The gym and indoor pool and spa have improved since last year, though the builders were still busy while we were there, so more is on the way.

Certainly a place to consider, I shall probably visit again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark_Winchester
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I booked the hotel for a week because of the facilities it boasted on its website. A few days after booking the hotel made it clear that, due to refurbishment, some of those facilities would not be available. For this they offered me a ten per cent discount. They were honest; I went along with this arrangement.

We stayed not in the main hotel but in self-catering accommodation, owned by the hotel, nearby. But the tariff did include use of the hotel facilities.

On arrival we found the 'cottage' shabby and, unfortunately, smelly. There was an iron burn in the centre of the carpet, the bathroom was tiny and looked forty years old. The furniture was ugly. There was insufficient cutlery, not enough lids for pans, no colander to strain pasta.

But there were some bizarre touches - a piece of fruit cake in the fridge (lovely, too) and fruit in the fruit bowl. A tin of corned beef in the cupboard.

And now to the facilities:

The 'games room' consisted of table football (50p a time for a random number of balls) a pool table (50p a time for a random number of balls, only one cue with a tip) and a table tennis table with a badly fitted net.

The indoor pool was lovely. But it was closed on the second day of our holiday and remained closed for three days because of a 'break in'. We used the outdoor pool instead - no one else did - this too was lovely, but there were insects all over the surface. I spent half an hour fishing them out.

There are good gym facilities, but the temporary accommodation in which they were housed made them less than appealing to use.

However - the staff were delightful, perhaps resigned to battling against overwhelming odds - and because of their extremely pleasant manner (all of them, especially the Asian guy in the bar - he was wonderful!) - I would consider recommending the place. If the facilities get up and are running properly, the wonderful location of this hotel will make it a treasure

So why couldn't they attend to the details? The paintwork, the smelly room (it was horrible) and the flies.

Last gripe - the beer in the bar was not looked after. I find this in so many hotels; they don't know how to keep beer.

But we enjoyed our stay despite the negatives - the area is very attractive, and still not overwhelmed by the sort of tourism that has ruined St Ives and Padstow, the walks from the hotel were very pleasant.

And the staff, bless them all, were lovely.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My family and I have been visiting the Polurrian Hotel for a few years now and have experienced it before and after it changed hands. The actual hotel is situated in one of Cornwall's most beautiful and stunning locations with panoramifc views across the bay to Penzance and Lands End. It also has a wonderful beach reached by hundreds of steps down the cliff side that promise to give you an aerobic workout while taking in the stunning views. Basically this is why we have returned year after year even though we have seen a gradual decline in the general running of the hotel. When it changed hands we thought that the refurbishment of the quite dated but quaint rooms would be a modernisation with the same quaint quirky style not the souless bland decor that we found.
The management and staff are still pleasant, helpful and I have no problems there. However, the most disappointing aspect of our most recent stay has to be The Highpoint Restaurant. We spent many an evening or lunchtime waiting (and waiting) for our food and when it arrived were more often than not hugely disappointed with the quality. eg: childs fish fingers unercooked(I mean how hard is it to warm up fish fingers), inconsistencies with portions even ingredients and generally a very under par quality.My husband who is not a fussy eater sent back his food on many occassions. We never dined in the main restaurant because it was much more formal and I believe didnt encourage children under ten. We as a family like to dine together and prefer the informality of a Highpoint style restaurant. Another problem for me was that the rooms were never serviced as thoroughly as I would have liked.(I am a very clean and tidy person and this may not irritate most of you)If i bring sand in from the beach, I dont wish to have it as a permanent fixture in my room and other than making the beds didnt feel the cleaning staff did much else most days. I had to ask reception for toilet paper a few times as they didnt refresh supplies.Get the picture? Perhaps I expect too much!
So, food and souless rooms aside it is still a lovely old building but i feel the 'refurbishment' has done it no justice, the hotel is missing its former charm and the dining experience is anything but the pleasure it should be. Unfortunately we shall be looking for somewhere else to stay when next in Cornwall which is a huge shame as we have very fond memories there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jubuLondon