“A Warm Welcome”

Mullion Cove Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
“A Warm Welcome”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Myself, my girlfriend and my dog took an early morning walk from Kynance Cove to Mullion Cove. We'd heard there was a nice cafe there but arrived half an hour early.

Hungry and thirsty we thought we'd try our luck at the hotel on the hill. They not only made an exception for us but were so kind and friendly. They treated us like guests of the hotel. Amenable, we sat outside and they served us coffee, juice and a wonderful fresh full Cornish.

Staff were chatty and polite but not obtrusive. It was a lovely surprise with stunning views.

We will be back for lunch. Recommended. I'm local, it's now on my favourite regular haunts list.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Neil F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I first came to this hotel about 25 years ago. It is very pleasing to see the transformation. It looks amazing. Considering that dogs are welcome, you would never know they were present. We stayed for three weeks and did not find a single dog hair. We heard the occasional bark but nothing to worry us. Our room was awesome. We did however pay extra for full sea view but it was worth it. The staff were very helpful throughout our stay. The reception team were always helpful and willing to make a call or research something for you. House keeping we're just amazing. The hotel is spotless and the rooms cleaned daily to a high standard. The food was generally good although we were disappointed with the seafood platter which was an extra £35 supplement. The quality was poor and it was way overpriced. The supplements were too much considering the price for the meal is already £28 or £35. A fillet steak costing £16 supplement for example. The variety of the fish and meat was very good and we enjoyed the selection although the veg and pots were restricted. This is probably not an issue if you stay for a shorter time. Overall we loved our time at Mullion and will return. It is priced at the top end for travellers though.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview every time
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Mullion Cove Hotel in early August 2014 for six nights (with our dog.) The staff couldn't be more welcoming, the food was very good and the hotel clean as you would expect. We chose the half board option (breakfast & evening meal.) The evening meal was a high-end classic four course feast. We didn't eat at the bar but others told us the standard was good also. We had a premium room which overlooked the harbour with a small balcony, our room was plenty big enough, I can't comment about the size of other rooms as I didn't see them, others staying at the hotel remarked that these rooms were sufficient but choose a room with a full sea (or harbour) view if possible for the full effect.. Many people chose to use the hotel as a base to walk the SW Coast path and other hiking routes nearby. I can testify that the cliff top views are spectacular and the walking tough in places for those who are not as fit as they could be but the dog was in her element! On this subject there is a "Dog" lounge where you can eat with your dog if you wish, we took this option and it was joy to find a hotel of this standard that accepts dogs. Clearly the hotel has undergone a makeover but this did not affect the ambiance in anyway, the staff made our visit pleasant, it's a people business after all. It's a great place and we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbour or to the front overlooking the sea
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blue235
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've tried to write a balanced review of the MCH., so there is a lot of positive stuff as well some negatives.
A review for other travellers may help in the areas of importance to them, but what is important? For me it's value for money. I don't mind paying for good quality accommodation and food. But there's the rub, what suits me may not suit another. So enough of this shilly shallying. The MCH as others have said is in a fantastic position perched on top of the cliffs overlooking the cove. The SW coastal path runs past the hotel. The hotel was refurbished when the present owners took over about 7/8 years ago. Some of the bedrooms now need another refresh. There are several lounges including one dedicated to dog owners and their pets. The bar area has recently been refurbished and I understand there are plans to extend the dining area out towards the road. there is ample car parking space albeit most is just outside the curtilage of the hotel across the road. Staff are friendly and helpful and you get a complimentary cuppa when you arrive.
B&B at this time of year (July/August) is £150 for a standard room, you can add dinner in the restaurant for £28 per person if booked at the same time.Given the standard of the standard room we had and the food portions for breakfast and dinner, I would say the hotel seriously overcharges and this is where I wouldn't rate it highly for value for money.
So in summary if you want a fantastic view (assuming it's not misty), easy access to the coastal path, mainly peace and quiet (though when we were there, there were a lot of screaming babies) you may decide this hotel is for you. However if price, food portions and large bedrooms (without paying a premium) are what you require you may be disappointed.
It did seem to us, having travelled to Cornwall since the 1940's, that the tourist spots are very pricey, the only people who didn't seem to mind paying large sums were the poor, hard working, families whose pay we are constantly being told has fallen behind the cost of living. For them money seemed no object, but then I'm forgetting it is their holiday after all. For me whose savings have fell behind inflation for over 10 years I have to weigh up the price and value carefully even on a holiday.

Room Tip: The premium rate rooms (ie anything other than standard) are probably larger.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 36staffboy_10
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Had lunch at this hotel. Sat outside as we have a dog. Spectacular view over the Cornish Coast. Right on the coastal path. Lunch was excellent. I had a crab salad with home made bread. My husband had mussels. Staff were very friendly. Would love to stay at this hotel one day

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

5 of us had a very enjoyable meal at Mullion Cove last night. The food was excellent with a wide selection and choice for all 3 courses,the presentation of the food was exquisite and tastes to satisfy all of the taste buds in our mouth.

The setting of the restaurant with views over the sea and beyond were magnificent. Above the staff were all very attentive, extremely obliging and happy in their jobs. Full credit must go to the main man ( Richmond, London) who obviously looks after his staff very well and puts the hotel in such good light! Mr Grose give the man pat on the back. Simple things that certain other Seaside hotels could learn from!

Mackay Party (Thurlestone,the Lizard and Leicester)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank andy m
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed in the Mullion Cove hotel last week for four nights with my partner. My parents and brothers were also staying in the hotel.

The staff were brilliant. Moving us to a different room because we were not happy with ours. Also I had hurt my neck while I was there and the reception staff went back and forth to the kitchen for me heating up a gel pack thing and putting it in the freezer when I needed it cold.

The food was also amazing!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Superfoodcat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullion
Polurrian Bay Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
Premier Inn Helston Hotel

Been to Mullion Cove Hotel? Share your experiences!