“Garden Break”

CLC Trenython Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Par
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just had a short break at the Trenython Manor hotel, Hotel 5 star, staff 5 star, cleanlyness 5 star. Dinner in the evening 5 star, cooked breakfast 3 star, buffet style breakfast nothing was hot. Sorry Trenthon you let your selves down. But because everything else was so good, would go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We planned to stay here after 5 nights camping on the Isles of Scilly, the idea being that if we'd had terrible weather, we'd have 1 night of luxury before we went home.
First impressions were great, the hotel is impressive and the grounds and views are beautiful. The entrance way is spacious and grand and the welcome at Reception was warm. We had booked a Standard room, which wasn't cheap, and I have to say we were a little disappointed with the size of the room, there was little room for anything but the massive bed!
Dinner was good, service was efficient, and we both enjoyed our food.
Sleep was very good, maybe after 5 nights camping we appreciated the comfy bed!
We tried the spa in the morning, the pool was lovely, but the changing rooms could do with smartening up and are a little small.
We also had a walk through the woodland in the morning which was pleasant. My husband's only complaint was that he didn't see the giant rabbit!

Room Tip: Room 108 is very small.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becki b
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for a two night break at the end of July. The staff were polite and friendly, but not professional. The stand greeting at reception and dining room was "You'right there? Which although quaint and Cornish, is not what one would expect from a good hotel and somewhat downgrades the level of service. At dinner, nobody cleared our starter plates before the main course arrived. The young waitress looked as if she expected us to clear our own plates!

Our room, an attic room on the second floor, was clean and newly refurbished, but tiny and stifflingly hot. The window did not open, apart from the top fanlight. We had to have the fan on all night, but it was noisy and frankly, next to useless. Other guests were propping their doors open with a chair in desperate attempts to get some air. When my husband commented on this at reception, he was told that air conditioning could not be installed in a listed building (not true) and it only gets "like this" about twice a year (probably also untrue).

My biggest disappointment was the lack of consideration for those with mobility problems. I did not see anything on the website about the hotel being unsuitable for disabled people, but I accept that I should have not assumed that this hotel would be suitable for me. The seemingly endless stairs were awful and I had a very strange conversation with three young people who were sat on reception. After the usual "You'right there?", I asked if they had any disabled parking as there was nowhere to park and was told, "Yes, you can park anywhere out the front". That would be a no then, as I explained again that there was nowhere for me to park. " Well, we usually tell people not to park at the front, then disabled people can park there." But they have all parked there, as I pointed out to them on the cctv monitor they were looking at. At that point I gave up, and my husband rebelliously removed some cones at the end of the building and parked there.

As there is nothing new in what I am saying here, judging by other reviews, I would recommend that the management, rather than simply posting a "I'm sorry you were disappointed with your stay" response, do something really positive along the lines of:

1) Do something about the appalling heat in the second floor rooms.
2) Invest in a one day customer training programme and/or employ more senior staff (such as your restaurant manager) in reception
3) You really must do something about disability access. At the minimum disabled parking spaces and perhaps a polite notice on your website CLEARLY indicating that your hotel is not suitable for people with mobility problems, but that you would be pleased to offer ground floor accommodation in one of your lodges for the same price.

This has the potential to be a great hotel, although it feels a little as if it is not yet quite sure of its identity: luxury spa hotel, or family holiday camp. I don't think it would take much to put these things right.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, make sure you ring the hotel direct, to make sure that you are not on the second fl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine L
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Trenython Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I was disappointed to see your reference to our lack of consideration for those with mobility problems. We do take seriously our commitment to assistance for those with such difficulties and have a section on our website dedicated to this, which is headed ‘accessibility statement’. It makes clear that we have no ground floor hotel rooms and no lift access to the first and second floors, sets out the number of stairs to the first and second floors and says we can provide porter service. It also states that our lodges are on one level with wider entrances, are equipped with walk in showers and most have wheelchair access. In addition it indicates that the restaurant, bar and guest lounge are on the ground floor and accessible to wheelchairs and advises on toilet facilities. We have a dedicated disabled parking bay but unfortunately the signage for this has been temporarily removed while external works are carried out on the manor house. It will be reinstated imminently. We have had some remarkably warm weather this year and I do apologise for the discomfort that this has caused. I have noted your comments about the reception and kitchen staff, and we do welcome feedback as it helps us to maintain and improve our service.

Resort Manager, Trenython Manor

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would recommend this place the cottages are very spacious and clean. The restaurant is good and staffs are very friendly. The Hotel is located in a Nice Palace and not too far from Fowey Town.
Will come back again…

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at Trenython Manor. Greeting on arrival was professional & friendly. As with other reviewers we had to negotiate some very steep stairs up to our room but were assisted with our luggage by a staff member. If you have any mobility problems then the stairs would definitely cause problems.
Our room was warm but not enough to disturb sleep but I can see how it could be a problem in very hot weather. The bedroom and bathroom were extremely clean.
The hotel reception area, restaurant, bar/lounge area and billiards/TV rooms are all tastefully decorated and welcoming areas to relax after a day of sightseeing. All open out onto a delightful terrace area with views of St Austell Bay.

Although the hotel has a non-smoking policy inside the hotel, this beautiful terrace was taken over by smokers throughout the day and evening. Smoke wafts into the dining room when the doors are open which is very off putting. This was the only disappointing aspect of our stay. It would have been nice to sit out in the evening with a drink and enjoy the view but most non-smokers and families were deterred from doing so. As this is one of the main features of the hotel I'd suggest the hotel management consider designating a smoking area to the side of the hotel in the BBQ area or somewhere further away from the terrace which would then be more in keeping with their prominent non-smoking policy signs.

Unlike some earlier reviewers we enjoyed the restaurant and chose to eat in every night. The menu varied each day and catered for most tastes, seemed to be sourced from fresh local produce and was reasonably priced. Breakfast was standard fare but plenty of it and topped up regularly.

We found the staff to be professional, courteous and ready to help guest requests. Fortunately I had good internet coverage in our room and coverage in all the ground floor areas was good.

There are bungalows for rent which may be more suited to those unable to cope with stairs. The grounds surrounding the hotel are lovely with woodland walks, a croquet green and pétanque rink. We didn't use the pool or spa so can't comment. We found Trenython Manor an excellent base for exploring Cornwall - recommend using Sat nav to assist negotiating the road system.

Room tip: if you can't manage stairs consider renting a cabin/lodge. There are no ground floor rooms in the Hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AussiejOy_9
Reviewed 20 July 2014

An impressive looking place. We found the reception staff to be very welcoming and helpful, but the room we were shown to was up two flights of stairs (no lift) and was cramped and excessively hot and stuffy. The window could only be partially opened and, with no air conditioning, we were forced to have a noisy fan on all night. Goodness knows what it must be like in hot weather! The restaurant too was disappointing: food was adequate only, and staff were verging on grumpy, much different to those in other areas of the hotel. This hotel has the feel of a package holiday place rather than something more individual.The garden is very pleasant though, and it wouldn't take much to lift this hotel into something much better.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stewart S
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Trenython Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

I was glad to see that you noted that Trenython Manor is impressive looking. The manor house is an architectural treasure, built in 1872, lovingly restored and sympathetically converted and is subject to listed building laws. We do make clear on our website that our hotel bedrooms are on the first and second floor of the hotel and that there is no lift to access these floors as well as setting out the number of stairs. I was sorry to see you did not enjoy dining with us. We have daily changing menus and all our dishes are created by our chefs who use the finest locally produced ingredients where possible to provide plenty of choice, including vegetarian dishes. We do welcome feedback as it helps us to maintain our high standards and I have noted your comments.
Resort Manager, Trenython Manor

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had an upper suite with great views. Obvious refurbishment underway. Staff very friendly and helpful however Restaurant was disappointing which is why we only ate in once. Pool and Spa were good. Well located for visiting the south side of Cornwall. Plenty to see and visit locally.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IJC3011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Par
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
The Old Quay House Hotel
The Pier House Hotel
The Pier House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlestown

Been to CLC Trenython Manor? Share your experiences!