“Very interesting place and particularly informative”
Review of Geevor Tin Mine

Geevor Tin Mine
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Pendeen
More attraction details
Owner description: This preserved mining site features a museum, underground tour and visitor center all perched on the rugged cliffs of Penwith, offering magnificent coastal views high above the crashing surf below.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Went 9 years ago so it needed another visit as the kids were older.

Plenty to see - and it has been extended since we last visited.

Guides were very knowledgeable and were great characters - some were ex-miners.

The mine had been extended and is good fun - not too challenging for smaller kids or worried parents.

Perhaps the most atmospheric place was "The Dry" - very poignant indeed - it should make everyone stop and think about how life was for the miners and how it all ended so suddenly at Geevor.

(Discounted entry after lighthouse visit at The Lizard.)

1  Thank AnonymousAgain
There are newer reviews for Geevor Tin Mine

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We visited on a very wet, windy and foggy day at the beginning of the easter school holidays but this did not matter one bit. I have always wanted to visit, having worked for a mining company in the past and I thoroughly enjoyed it as did my husband. I was surprised that both my 11 and 7 year old daughters both loved it too. All the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the mine and it's history and we were lucky enough to be there for a talk by an ex-geevor miner in the locker rooms (quite eerie in themselves as they look exactly like all the miners have just finished a shift and gone home). Had the weather been better we could have walked over to the levant mine and picnic'ed outside so we will be back on a sunny day!

1  Thank janpallett
Reviewed 18 April 2014

To be honest I wasnt really very interested in visiting here but my son and husband were. How wrong was I ? From beginning to end it was a very enlightening and interesting experience. Quite alot of hands on things to keep younger children amused as well as older children. The tour of the mine was great but my husband who is 6 foot 2 was bent over for some of the tour, as some of the cave is quite low. I would recommend this trip and im sure that if you go then you too will have a very enjoyable visit.

2  Thank traveltrip_9
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We always visit the shop when down in the area. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and also knowledgeable. There is always something interesting to see and buy. Stock levels are good and items well displayed.

2  Thank buspassnelson
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Visited Geevor Tin Mine last week, with our two children aged 5 & 1, they both loved it. So interesting & quite moving visiting the miners Dry, with all their lockers left as they were on the last day after the mine was closed in 1990. All the staff were so helpful & couldn't give enough info about the place. My eldest couldn't wait to go down the mine, which was a bit of a squeeze & very low in places-so use your common sense & if you are infirm or very tall perhaps either give it a miss or just be aware it's very low, dark & cramped......just as you would expect a couple of hundred yr old mine to be!!!!
Overall a great day out & well worth a visit.

2  Thank RosieP18