“Off the beaten track”
Review of Wheal Tor

Wheal Tor
Ranked #3 of 5 Pensilva B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just come back from wheal tor . Stayed for three nights , two nights in the family room and one nights in the hobbit pod. We thought it would be difficult to find but it was simple enough. The dirt track that greeted us was a bit off putting at first but you do get used to it .steve who showed as to our room was friendly. The first impression of the hotel was a bit old English style pub b&b , with a bit of farm like feel. Our room was ok for the family . The children loved their beds and the room was clean. Cleaning lady was nice gave the children a new pillow when we were one short. Breakfast was simple and yummy (if you like home reared pork).we were greeted by a lady at breakfast (I think she was the owners wife) very friendly . Showed us where to visit in Cornwall .the owner I think is the chap who served us breakfast second day. You've probably noticed now that they didn't introduced themselves and I am just guessing.we have the use of the guest lounge with TV which was nice .we had dinner there the final night and the pizza was delicious as described by my daughter and surf and turf too was better than the the other restaurant we tried in Cornwall .but the owner(I think) forgot to come back to take my order for my desert but it was getting a bit late in the evening so I left it. Plus he looked pretty worn out .we stayed in the hobbit hut the final night . It was very comfy for what it is and the price was good.clean and tidy. Communal shower and toilet was clean (for hobbit hut) over all it was a positive stay. I think the location sells the hotel . You have to be there to experience the view. (Awesome) without the view an average small fawlty tower style hotel very laid back. The owner(I think)works very long hrs but he needs to smile a lot more. Give it try, don't expect too much just go for the location.lastly, wifi might be a problem in bedroom and hut.(why do u need wifi anyway in a location like that just switch off from the world and relax!)

Room Tip: There's no tip .just try it .
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank chi w

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed in a Hobbit pod, great idea but as they are new they smelt of preservative. There is also a neon blue light that stays on on the heater controls, all night. We put a sock over it to try and block it out. We booked breakfast and were told to go to the conservatory the next morning. We did so but it was filthy with dirty plates from the night before and no one was about, I tried calling the phone number we were left but no one answered. When we went to check out we were told we were in the wrong place, no apology, terrible customer service. I mentioned about the neon light on all night and the guy said it was so we didn't hurt ourselves during the night, again no apology, no "I'll look into it". I also mentioned that the showers weren't properly plumbed in and the hot pipes and the hot pipe had got switched, which led to me getting burnt. The guy just laughed. Terrible "take it or leave it" attitude through the whole weekend. Such a shame, it could be great if the owners cared about the guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mel B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked the wheal tor for our sons wedding in May we also booked all rooms for the Saturday night. Maxine and mark were amazing in organising every thing. The upstairs function room was decked out in red and white with swags and drapes all round with room the little table centres were very pretty and I was so please with the overall look of the room, it was just perfect. This was there first wedding to be held there so at first we did wonder if it was going to be all ok but our worries were unfounded and they did an excellent job. The food was very good and plentiful.
Everyone who attended enjoyed the day, the views are outstanding and prefect for that special day.

They have even given the Bridge and Groom a free candle lit meal on there First anniversary , which was a lovely thought.

We also stayed there on 21st June again we were made very welcome and the work in completing the hobbit house has continued and they look great. They had a summer solstice disco which every one enjoyed.

I recommend the Wheal Tor , it is quite and the views are stunning and Mark and Maxine make you feel truly at home.

Room Tip: Try the hobbit house if you like camping the kids will love it
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shirleyc1955
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We found the Wheal Tor by accident and stayed for an extra night in a Hobbit Hut- brilliant idea and incredibly well executed. The food was delicious and we were made to feel right at home. The owners are making some exciting changes so we will definitely be planning another trip to see it all done and explore some more of the stunning setting!

Room Tip: If you enjoy the great outdoors but prefer heating and a comfy bed, give the Hobbit Huts a try!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aimee W
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at Wheal Tor for 2 nights over the weekend in one of the newly constructed Hobbit Houses. They are cute extremely well built and insulated and perfect for those who like the outdoors but would prefer a lovely comfy bed to a tent. The setting is beautiful with lovely views, eggs being laid on your decking and sheep, chickens and guinea fowl wandering free. You have use of a large lounge area with a TV and comfy sofas then there's the bar where you are welcomed by Mark and the restaurant further on with lovely freshly prepared food by Mags. I recommend the cow pie! Stay again? Definitely. The mix is just right and it's close to everything you could possibly want from a Cornish break away. Oh and the brand new shower block is awesome. Thanks again Mark and Mags and for that interesting evening out!

Room Tip: The hobbit houses as opposed to the hotel rooms if you love the outdoors but want to feel like you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bailey050276
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and went back this week, We were late arriving and had a good friendly greeting from the owner who had waited up for us to arrive and served us with a pint of the best larger ever (Cornish Larger).
The proprietor Has spent a lot of money changing this hotel from a pretty run down establishment last time I stayed to a friendly welcoming hotel with a cosy feel to it.
The breakfast was great and the views outstanding.

Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay, great hosts and location..
We would highly recommended this place to anyone. ..Especially for getting away from it all.
The breakfast was absolutely superb.
Thank you very much.
Jo and Mike.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to Wheal Tor? Share your experiences!