“Stopped for lunch and returned for a second visit”
Review of Talland Bay Hotel

Talland Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Porthallow
Birmingham
“Stopped for lunch and returned for a second visit”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at Old Lanwarnick who recommended the restaurant at this hotel and that they accept dogs in the brasserie. So we went for lunch and had a table on the terrace.Food and service was excellent but the drinks are a bit pricey and no draught lager! So good,we went again two days later. Once again good food and lovely friendly and efficient staff. Some reviewers complain about the owners but although a bit edgy even arrogant they run a really good restaurant in a quirky hotel in a beautiful location. Definitely with a visit. Food value excellent.

1 Thank Brian33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

i read the review where they descrbed the decor as quirky and eccentric and i agree with them but that is the only thing i agree with them about. it is the quirkiness which makes it unique but everything else in the hotel was perfect also. the staff were the friendliest and most helpful i have ever encountered. incidentally the majority were english but those who were east european were also excellent and all seemed really genuine.if you want pretentious try gidleigh park. the rooms were comfortable modern and well equipped, the gardens outstanding especially the infinity lawn. the food was excellent. the bistro was good bar food standasrd i recommend ordering from the dish of the day. i had beautifully cooked sea bass. the main restaurant is in a different league. incidentally i was telling everyone that gidleigh park was the best hotel i had stayed in until i came here. just loved the atmosphere and everything about it

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeCockcroft
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have to admit that I am reluctant to review this hotel as selfishly I want to be able to book my favourite room when I want , and I am worried about giving too good a review in case it prompts people to book!!!
However, I feel I have to say that last July I had possibly the best holiday ever. Admittedly the weather was fabulous, which always helps, but upon arrival at the hotel I knew I had made the right decision,
It has to be said that the hotel is not cheap, but I am returning again this year, so obviously I think it was well worth the money!!
The hotel is magical. I have read a recent unfavourable review from someone who just didn't "get it" which just goes to show that you can't please everyone!!
The only guest we spoke to who wasn't a repeat visitor assured me that she would be booking again for this year. Some guests were regular visitors. I think that speaks volumes.
There is an enchanted atmosphere at the hotel. You really do feel like you are on holiday. The owner and his wife are very hands on and take the time to talk to you whenever they get the chance even though they are obviously working long hours.
Upon arrival we sat on the terrace enjoying the location, the garden sculptures and the fantastic views and a few lovely drinks.
When we were showed to our room ( I am reluctant to tell you that is was room 27) I was very impressed that it surpassed the pictures on the website. It felt luxurious, and had a marvellous modern bathroom. There was even a sheet folded up on the bed together with some dog shaped biscuits which indicated to me that it was okay to let our pooches sleep on the bed if we put the sheet down over the duvet, which was a very reasonable suggestion. We chose this room as it is on the ground floor with French doors leading onto a small patio. A few steps across the gravel driveway is the expansive lawned area complete with comfortable sunloungers, and of course more interesting scultpures. I would love to know where Vanessa gets them from as they are so unusual and appeal to my sense of humour!!
I don't believe in going on holiday with my dogs and leaving them in the room, so they come everywhere with us, this included meal times. Luckily we had good weather so most times we ate outside on the terrace, there was always a sausage on offer for the dogs, and occasionally we sat inside the bistro area. There is a fine dining area, but naturally dogs are not allowed, and this is as it should be.
The food is fabulous . Be prepared to put some weight on while you are there, and the staff are lovely and attentive. The decor is tasteful and entertaining at the same time. So much thought has gone into the finishing touches.
A short walk from the hotel is Talland Bay itself, which has a small dog friendly beach, perfect for a stop off on the walk to Polperro or Looe.
About the area and location... If you are looking for a hotel in the hub of everything then this is not for you. Other than Looe or Polperro most places are only accessible by car, so it is not a car free holiday.
It would be very easy to spend the whole time in Talland Bay and at the hotel, but when you have travelled a long way to get somewhere it makes sense to explore. So if you don't mind driving 40 minutes or so then you will be fine.
When choosing where to go this year, we bore this in mind....somewhere more central or somewhere that was a pleasure to stay and where the dogs were welcome, not just accepted....well there was no question. It's room 27 again for us and our dogs.
There, now I have given away my secret. I probably won't be able to get into 27 again, but not to worry there are other equally lovely dog friendly rooms!!!

Room Tip: Room 27 !!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Julie J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

What a wonderful discovery! The views of the dramatic Cornish coast from the hotel are simply breathtaking, some of the best I've seen anywhere in the world. The rooms were luxurious (comfy, sumptuous beds and a stand alone bath) and I enjoyed having a terrace to sit and enjoy my sea views. The staff were very helpful and I love how dog friendly the hotel is, whilst managing to maintain its upmarket, boutique style. Breakfast was brilliant and the staff were all very helpful. I ate in the restaurant and brasserie and would heartily recommend both. Another night I went to the pub by the bay in Polkeris, which is a must also. Cannot fault anything with this hotel at all. Simply loved it.

Room Tip: It is more expensive, but well worth having a sea view. I had a garden suite, which was fantastic.
3 Thank eleanorlavish
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We should really have known, from a perusal of the website, that this is not really our sort of place.
It should have been clear that the interior and exterior furnishings, décor and objets, quirky to the point of eccentricity, were not our sort of thing, but we were taken in by the effusive reviews and the website’s wide-angle photographs and descriptions, which proved to be exaggerated to the point of being misleading.
We were also influenced by Judy Finnigan, who, in her novel Eloise, enthuses about the hotel. But then, she lives virtually next door, and is a regular visitor, and she heaps equal and indiscriminate praise on several other Cornish eateries.
We could perhaps have ignored the bizarre décor, and the strange sculptures which crowd the not over-large garden, were it not for the fact that the place promises so much and provides so little.
The overall impression is one of pretentiousness.
This was our experience:
When booking our stay I had requested a ground-floor room described as having its own outside access to a private courtyard adjoining the gardens. This would have been ideal for our dog, and because one of us is a smoker, though we never saw any evidence of such a courtyard. This room was not available, and it was suggested that one of the three cottages would suit us.
From the descriptions on the website we chose a cottage described as having “a terrace outside with table and chairs overlooking our picturesque garden”. When we checked in we found that the sitting room overlooked a building site, and that the outside table and chairs was on the edge of the site, and could never had commanded a view of the gardens.
We were moved to another of the cottages, which had a small adjoining garden with table and chairs, reasonably secluded, but oddly not mentioned in the description.
The rooms were small and dark, with little daylight, and bordering on claustrophobic. We accepted this cottage because of the little garden.
The heating was not on, and one of the Roman blinds was jammed, so the handyman came to fix the blind, and said that the heating would come on at 6. He did not say that it would go off again before nine, and leave us with a cold bedroom, bathroom and sitting room until the morning, on a night when late frost was forecast.
We went to the “fine dining” room for dinner by 7, as early as we decently could. The food proved to be stuck in the 1990s, with nouvelle cuisine proportions and fussiness. The choice was limited.
The staff were all young and from Continental Europe, and went through the motions of insincere politeness. Although only three tables were at the time occupied, they managed to bring us both the wrong dishes. Later in the meal the waitress was heard giving profuse apologies to the two ladies at another table for some unknown transgression.
At breakfast the next morning the obsequious waiter asked me how my kipper was before I had picked up my knife and fork.
To be fair, the feedback on Trip Advisor is overwhelmingly positive, with very few negative reports. My criterion for a hotel is that it should be at the very least as comfortable as one’s own home. Maybe the people who enthuse about the Talland Bay do not live in very comfortable homes!
Fortuitously, we were forced, by external factors, to cut our stay short, foregoing our wedding anniversary dinner, and returned with relief to the comforts of home.

12 Thank Michael S
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This really is a gem of a place completely living up to expectations with delicious food in both the brasserie and main restaurant. First impression was our seaview room was on the small side but overall experience was so good it paled into insignificance- cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Lovely to have a sea view and listen to the sea all night
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thebellinnatlacock
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

One night stay to begin a break in Cornwall. Delighted to find we had been upgraded to a suite (room 1) with lovely view of the garden down to the sea. Ate in the brasserie where the food and service was excellent. Great night's sleep in a big comfortable bed followed by a first class breakfast. The fine weather helped to make this a perfect start to our holiday

Room Tip: Ask for your choice of shower or bath. Go for a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tarmac_ted
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthallow
Trelaske Hotel & Restaurant
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to Talland Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!