The Rising Sun Inn
Tremarne Hotel(Mevagissey)
US$147
US$172
The Llawnroc Hotel(Gorran Haven)
US$154
US$150
US$187
US$182
US$60
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
US$247
The White Hart(St Austell)
US$187
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
US$214
US$220
  • Breakfast included
US$174
All reviewscornish pubselection of beersfriendly pubscampiportmellon covelovely viewmushroom curryquizseasharonpintpubscoast
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As this is the only place to eat in Portmellon it is great that the food, beer, and service is so good.
This lovely unspoilt pub is just across a narrow road from the sea. In fact, in blowy weather, the waves splash over the road at high tide. The Rising Sun reminds me of the pub of the Cornwall that I visited in my youth, over 40 years ago. Proper pub furniture, little windows which frame views of the sea, and as much used by locals as visitors.
We, five of us, ate here twice during our stay and were very pleased on both occasions. The service was friendly and informal. The beer was well kept and the price of food and drinks was very reasonably. No rip-off prices here. The menu is a little limited, but then so it should be for a small inn serving fresh food. Be suspicious of small establishments offering huge choices. I chose a sirloin steak on my visit, and it was the tastiest I have been served in a long while. On the second evening, plain old fish and chips, which was an excellent and generous portion of fish in a light and crispy batter. Incidentally, I also chose apple and sultana crumble and custard for pudding on both occasions, and it was superb. Well done, the Rising Sun.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank granfavas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

For some reason my review of the rising sun inn was listed under a new reviewer. So here goes,again. This brilliant pub is an amazing place. Right on Portmellon Bay. Damn hilly walk to Mevagissey, legs still ache today. Superb hospitality, great beer, great food and amazing location. I loved it here and cant wait to go back. I cant thank all of the people at the Rising Sun enough for the welcome they gave me. Authentic genuine cornish pub. Fabulous.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Just spent a long weekend at this pub. I loved it! Cant wait to go back again. Superb location. Damn hilly though. Legs still ache. If you love cornwall visit this pub. True cornish hospitality. Brilliant.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stopped here for lunch on the way into Mevagissey. On first appearances you might think, keep going on to Mevagissey! Having no car park and having to pay for the one you do park in is a bit rich, especially, although it was a blustery day and whilst a nice beach, there was no one on it and the village, apart from its houses has no obvious sign of a need for a cp! On entry to pub, it's clearly old and has character, but is looking very tired.it was a Wednesday and only two others in the pub. The menu is reasonable and sensibly priced. Some interesting things on the menu, such as stuffed cheese croquettes on a bed of spinach. I had a pasty, which I must say was to die for, not literally! Good pub nosh, not pretentious and an ideal stop. Give it a try.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mike n
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This Hotel(pub), is located right on the edge of a lovely bay. It's located within 12 meters from the sea. With the sun shining it was amazing.
We were greeted by a friendly landlady, and we were happy with our rooms. Both had sea views.
At breakfast the next morning, we had to ask for the milk to be changed as it had gone sour!
Our waitress at breakfast looked very untidy, which did not inspire confidence.
When we returned in the evening, our beds remained unmade, and the towels had not been changed.
Our cups had been replaced though!?
After our experience at breakfast , we decided to have breakfast elsewhere on the second morning.
It's a real shame, because the location is brilliant, but the service standards were poor,and amateurish.
We won't go back.
Aneurin.
Wiltshire
We won't stay there again

Stayed: June 2014