“Our first ever horse ride...extremely well looked after by all”

Cornish Riding Holidays
More attraction details
Owner description: Riding Lessons, in dressage, side saddle, showjumping and cross country.Hacking around Carn Brea Castle and along the World Heritage Site of the Mineral Tramways.Riding Holidays for unaccompanied children and families during school holidays and adults during term time. Association of British Riding School, Ofsted, Quality Tourism and Club Mark Approved. All our staff are qualified, CRB checked and 1st Aid trained. All ages and abilities welcome. Shortlisted for Cornwall Tourism Awards for 2012.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I were holidaying in Flushing (across the water from Penryn and Falmouth).

After a brief horseback experience on our holiday to Cuba earlier this year we decided to have another go so off we went to the Wheal Buller Riding School.

Due to us being total novices it was decided that we should go on a steady hack (two hours...our choice) with one of the stable girls (sorry, forgot her name) leading the way on foot.

My mount was called Harvey and my wife's mount was called Mia. It's a good job the stable girl was leading the way because my wife's mount was a little feisty and needed a bit of persuasion to move on (only once or twice)
My mount, Harvey, was as good as gold and looked after my so well. I gained confidence on the way round and even lead him to grass now and again so he could have a snack.

We took a lovely trip around the Redruthian area and got some lovely views of the old tin mines and countryside.

The downside was that halfway through the ride I started with typical hay-fever type symptoms which, in October, should be non-existent. I started with streaming, bloodshot eyes and an asthmatic type chest which got worse when I arrived home. This culminated in calling out the paramadics who administered a nebuliser and a anti-histamine injection.

This is in no way an attack on the riding school but a word of warning to anyone who could be allergic to horses (which I guess I was)

So, once again, thanks to the Wheal Buller Riding School and we will be back (this time with precautions)

Kindest Regards,

Andy and Alexandra (Alex) Lockwood

2  Thank Andyjl1964
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you, I am so pleased you enjoyed your ride, I will pass your comments on to Charlotte who took you out. Sorry to hear about your allergy and I hope you are now fully recovered. Best wishes.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I are novice riders who booked a week's riding (living out) to try to improve both technical ability and confidence. I have to admit to being a little fazed by the assessment lesson as there appeared to be some extremely confident riders in the group. However, the next day we were separated into two groups which appeared to be based on ability and we were much more comfortable from that point on.

The riding lessons were very good and I was pleased to have some success at show jumping and cross country which I have not tackled since my teens. My husband tried both of these for the first time and was equally pleased (a special note of thanks to Gina who was very patient with him!)

The hacking was the clear highlight, despite the weather being extremely poor for most of the week. Cantering on Gwithian beach was wonderful and the pub ride was fun however the day ride to Devoran was just amazing. 25 miles through amazing scenery, scrambling up rocky hills, cantering through thick forest and stopping for a picnic lunch in a wonderful little clearing sporting evidence of the area's tin mining heritage. If I could pick just one thing to repeat it would be this experience - indeed I hope to do it again in the future.

The horses and ponies were good-natured and willing and when my husband really wasn't getting on with one of the horses it was changed. Similarly when a seam on a saddle had left his bottom with bruises a seat saver was provided the following day. In short, nothing was too much trouble and we would love to visit again.

1  Thank Yorkshire_Bunny
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

You started the week full of enthusiasm and tried everything that was on offer, riding for up to six hours a day, which is the best way to get the most out of your holiday. Sorry about the bruises I hope they are now better. Thank you for review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had our first riding lessons at wheal buller riding school. The horses were great and the teachers were patient and knowledgable. So we had a good time and really learned a lot.
After a few days of riding school we did our first hack - unfortunately we had real British weather after a whole week of sun and sweating in the riding school. But nevertheless it was a great trip out.

1  Thank KSoho
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you so much your review is very much appreciated. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have ridden here every year whilst on holiday for the past 5 years, my husband and 5 year old have also started to ride here too. Wonderful horses (best I've ever seen at a riding school) and really friendly helpful staff/owners. The hacking is amazing, we plan on going for the beach ride next time.

1  Thank MrsJollyVadler
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you so much, I have wonderful staff and they do their best to make sure everyone has a good time.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I booked my daughter a weeks riding holiday this year and it's turned out to be one of the best times she's ever had. She's 16 and has been riding since she was 4 but during the week she had so many wonderful experiences that she's begging to return next summer. She is quite shy and I felt that this would be an opportunity to be more independent and outgoing. She shared a dorm with three other girls of similar age and has made so many lovely new friends. She came back full of confidence and buzzing with excitement. Her days were full from getting the horses in from the field first thing to cross country, hacks through lovely countryside, beach riding, swimming with the horses in lakes, show days, and gymkanas to name but a few!! On one evening they were taken to the local cinema but mostly just chilled out. I felt confident that she was being looked after well and had plenty of food. Most of all of course she absolutely LOVED the horses. I had previously booked a hack for her two younger sisters and they had a great time also. I had better take out a bank loan as now they want to go on a holiday also!!! Can't rate it highly enough, it is a wonderful place for horse mad kids and teens to get some freedom, independence, new experiences and have a thoroughly great time. See you next summer.

2  Thank fpriest

We have had a great Summer with some wonderful guests. Thank you for your outstanding review we all really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post this. We look forward to seeing all your girls in the future.