“A late review!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cornish Riding Holidays

Cornish Riding Holidays
More attraction details
Owner description: Riding Lessons, in dressage, side saddle, showjumping and cross country.Hacking around Carn Brea Castle and along the World Heritage Site of the Mineral Tramways.Riding Holidays for unaccompanied children and families during school holidays and adults during term time. Association of British Riding School, Ofsted, Quality Tourism and Club Mark Approved. All our staff are qualified, CRB checked and 1st Aid trained. All ages and abilities welcome. Shortlisted for Cornwall Tourism Awards for 2012.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A late review!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

A slightly late review, but I stayed for a week at Wheal Buller last November and had a fantastic time. There were only three of us for the week and the instructors went out of their way to make sure that we were all catered for. I loved the drill riding and would love to do that (and other flat work) for a week, but having a whole variety of riding was something that is not normally offered. My husband was a non-riding partner and Janet was kind enough to make sure that he had a packed lunch every day for his lengthy walks around the mineral tramways and railway heritage of the SW. There really is something for everyone, with as much or as little involvement in 'all things horsey' as guests want. I'd love to return - maybe one day!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Lesley W
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review it was a pleasure having you both stay with us, hope to see you again.

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Brilliant pub ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked a two person pub ride here (2hrs approx) and were able to amend our booking at late notice to become three persons. The horses were riding school, but entirely fit for purpose, not lame and not unfit. One of our number was very much a beginner and had the perfect horse for his needs.

The ride itself was in the Stithians area and explores the tin mining country. It was sunny, but a little windy. Be sure to prepare for it to be chilly! The terrain was mixed from roads and pathways to climbing up some relatively steep, rocky ascents. The ride leader was relaxed and cheerful, happy to help and once she established that we were happy she was able to throw in lots of canters and trots to prevent it from being a monotonous walk.

The pub is in the middle of nowhere, but all the locals were welcoming and the beer was reasonably priced and tasty.

Aside from the lady who took our money at the start, who was more than a little frosty, the whole experience was superb and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the area. Great value for your money.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank HJ0RD4N
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review, we do our best to ensure everyone enjoys themselves. Apologies, from the member of staff who you thought was" frosty " because the rest of the ride were on their horses and waiting for you when you arrived, she was just trying to be efficient and get the ride out as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing you again.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to teach your Children to ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been taking my son with additional needs for sometime now.it's had a massive therapeutic effect on his wellbeing and has drastically helped with his challenging behaviour.the staff are always accommodating, helpful and willing to listen. My son loves his weekly private lesson and occasional sat club. Can't thank them enough

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Marie R
Thank you so much for your review, it is very much appreciated. I agree with you my staff are wonderful and I will pass your kind words onto them.
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Brilliant holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Another brilliant week at Wheal Buller. Definitely improved my riding and confidence. It was lovely to ride so many different horses and ponies, meeting some of the newer ones as well as some of my favourites from previous trips. Even got to try vaulting! If you're looking for a place to ride where the horses and ponies are well looked after - they too get holidays and friendly staff providing great tuition, you can't go wrong.

Thanks to all the staff and Janet's good cooking I really didn't want to come home. I'll be back!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Sue H
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you so much for the nice things you have said about us, you were a pleasure to have stay and I will of course pass on your remarks to the girls. Look forward to seeing you again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful week-sad to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I am a cautious and nervous adult beginner, having ridden for only a few months. I booked a week's holiday to gain more "saddle experience" than my weekly lessons allow. Before arriving at Wheal Buller I had never been into a stable to groom or tack up a horse, never ridden outside the arena, had jumped only one jump and had a mental block about cantering having done 3 strides of it. During my week at Wheal Buller I jumped a course of 5 jumps, cantered on hacks and groomed, tacked up and turned out horses. Moreover, I loved every minute of it and wanted more of it all, despite the physical agony of using muscles which have never been used before.

The instructors are professional and calm and they get the balance right between pulling no punches as to your ability (in my assessment lesson Ruth told me what I already knew, that there was no reason I couldn't canter and that when she got back after her day off she wanted and expected to see me cantering) and yet giving you the confidence and trust so that you push your own boundaries and want to do so. They never suggest anything that you cannot do, but calmly tell you you can do it and leave it to you.

I found the week well-structured. For example, on my first hack Gina let me trot with her horse whilst the others cantered and on my second hack Charlotte smiled, calmly gave me a couple of key pieces of advice and encouraged me to canter, which I did with complete trust in her and my horse. On my third, we cantered through a field, again pushing my experience.

All riders on a hack are catered for. On all of mine there were mixed ablities and the more experienced helped those like me. If the object of the exercise is to enjoy the experience, feel that you have learned something and want to go back for more, then Wheal Buller easily achieves all of that. It puts the safety of the customers and horses as paramount. The horses are well cared for, well schooled, cherished, happy and well chosen for the rider. All the instructors are professional, enthusiastic and give you confidence and trust.

The accommodation is comfortable and the food excellent and plentiful. Wheal Buller is very organised and everyone is friendly and helpful. I would recommend a holiday there to anyone.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank lucy w
janetalison, Owner at Cornish Riding Holidays, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to have you stay and we look forward to seeing you again.