“Good hotel, comfy and good service”

Penventon Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Redruth
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Not a particuarly modern hotel but really cosy and the rooms were very large. Had everythign you would need. I stayed here for a night for a nearby wedding. Breakfast in the morning was also great!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank miniperson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had a two night break at the Penventon, combining work with pleasure. I would recommend anyone to stay here. It is a family run hotel and offers a unique combination of comfort, high quality service, great facilities and lovely food. The room was spacious and well equipped, with a beautiful bathroom. After a busy day working it felt like going back in time to a more civilised and gentle pace of life as we enjoyed the fabulous jacuzzi, sipped cocktails in the bar and were waited on and entertained in the excellent restaurant. I couldn't believe what great value for money it was. The staff obviously take pride in providing a thoroughly professional service. I didn't think that hotels like this existed any more and we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: We had one of the garden rooms, which was great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I went along with some of my friends for the 1 night spa break at £80 pp. We had a lovely time and used the spa facilities and pool area (the price included a massage, bucks fizz on arrival, 3 course meal, overnight stay and breakfast). The staff were incredible, very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms (garden suite) were spacious and comfortable with a nice view out into a small garden area. Food was tasty and we all ate far too much!
A couple of *very* small points - we didn't receive the bucks fizz on arrival but I notice that this offer is no longer being advertised and we didn't ask for it. The decor is looking a little faded and could do with a freshen up. There are some beautiful antiques pieces around the hotel but they look like they could do with freshening up a little too.

Room Tip: The garden suites are spacious and have a small outside area, great for. Couples or just friends...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We returned to the PV for our bi-annual short break & again we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are so welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. We had a garden room which is airy & spacious.
The evening meals (both a la carte & table d'hote menus) are so delicious and interesting. Its not the usual standard meals- they are so creative with their menus and they use local produce whenever possible. We rarely can manage a dessert but my husband succumbed to the vanilla creme brulee served with ice cream, fresh berries & a delicious shortbread! With coffee comes some lovely homemade petits fours!

The breakfast offers so much choice- I usually have bacon etc but I had the smoked haddock (naturally smoked -not the standard yellow variety!) with poached eggs. It was superb! My husband had eggs benedict one morning then eggs royale the next!

The waiting staff, although mostly young, are professional yet friendly & its obvious that they are trained to high standards!
We used the swimming pool, steam room & jacuzzi before dinner each night which was relaxing!
We love this hotel because it has high standards of food & service & is traditional.

Room Tip: Garden suites are great
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank widders
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel was recomended by my brother. It did not dissapoint. Booking in was easy and the staff were very friendly. The room was spacious and very clean. The hotel was very warm which was great as we had come from the midlands which was cover in snow. The evening food was exceptional and so was the breakfast. The menus were varied and superb. The service was second to none and nothing was ever a problem or too much trouble. We have been staying in hotels in this area for the last 15 years as my parents live in St Ives and this was the best by far . We stayed 4 nights and it was a great luxurious relaxing break and will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda12345
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have a six month contract working weekends in Redruth and have been booked in here for the weekends of the next 4 months. I have spent three weekends here to date. I am in negotiations with my employer to spend no more nights at the Penventon Hotel.
Overall a middle ranking 2/3 star hotel, bit dated and in need of investment particularly refurbishment, but comfortable enough. Its aged appearance might, to some visitors, be part of its charm.
My dislike is based on small but annoying defects. On the first night staying I went to the bar, for a drink before bed. There were other guests, who seemed to take great pleasure in making racist jokes. I asked the bar steward if that kind of language and behaviour was commonplace here, only to be advised that they had heard nothing untoward. I know the hotel is not responsible for its guests, but to tolerate this kind of behaviour was rather shocking.
After some reassurance that racist behaviour was not acceptable the following day, I booked my family in with me for the next weekend as it was half term.
Upon arrival I was given a double room. Towels etc for two and no sign of beds or bedding for my children. Coming back from work nothing had changed so I asked at reception when this would be put right, then two camp beds were erected in the room, making for very cramped accommodation, too few towels, soaps, cups and so on.
Of the three weekends stay so far, one morning no cooked breakfast was available due to a fault with the stove, the next weekend, a cooked breakfast was offered and ordered, but not served.
Small annoyances that were resolved when raised, but at £150 plus a night I do not expect to have to be constantly asking for the basics; bed making, breakfast, toiletries.
Overall the staff are pleasant, the accommodation comfortable enough, just not good value for money and all a bit slap dash.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mickphoton
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This hotel came recommended by our neighbours as we were looking for a place to have short two night break to re-charge our batteries. We booked on the Winter Break offer which was dinner garden suite room and breakfast for £129 per night. Our summary of good points and not so good is as follows:

Restaurant - the food and the restaurant is excellent - first class service and cuisine so many dinner choices and flavours. Breakfast again very good. No complaints whatsoever in this department
Reception - very helpful and attentive
Buildings - the public areas are well maintained and full of interest especially the pictures
Bedroom - our room was spacious and quiet and fully functioning. Everything was clean. However, the bed was a disappointment - the mattress sagged and movement was accompanied by noise from the springs. Neither of us slept well and I would suggest the hotel management look at the mattress in Room 168. Other than that one but important issue the room was fine.
The spa is well appointed although there was condensation everywhere. The one disappointment was on Sunday when we tried to book a treatment or massage for the Monday only to be told that that the therapist was not available until 2 pm on the Tuesday after we were due to check out.
Overall though I would return to this hotel and recommend it to others especially if you are seeking excellent cuisine at reasonable prices

Room Tip: The garden suites are lovely but check the mattress first!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EdenhurstBandB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
The Alverton
11 mi away
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Penventon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!