“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Redruth
Helston, United Kingdom
“Wedding Reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

My Husband and I decided that The Penventon Park Hotel was the place to hold our wedding reception, and we were not disappointed. From the very first meeting to leaving the hotel the day after the wedding the staff were absolutely FANTASTIC. Amy our wedding co-ordinator at the hotel couldn't have done more and thanks to Amy and her team the day went so smoothly. We decided that we wanted a 3 course wedding breakfast and again I could not fault a thing, the food was above exceptional. If you are thinking of the Penventon Park Hotel for your wedding please choose, because you will not be disappointed. I looked at other places around Cornwall but The Penventon gave me the attention to detail that all brides needs and guess what I wasn't bride zilla, didn't have to be as Amy made sure it ran so smoothly. My husband and I will be staying for our one yr anniversary next year.
Our Honeymoon suite was so perfect for a newly wed couple, four poster bed, specious room. The hotel has so much character .
Last but not least the price was fantastic for what was included, I really don't think you would get this standard of service at any other hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

It was refreshing to find such a pleasing hotel in every way. Service to the customer was excellent, I felt comfortable and at ease, made to feel very welcome and would go back again, that's good for me as I am very fussy!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed here as hubby was working, so along with the sunshine, I had a fantastic few days. The staff were extremely friendly, and nothing was too much trouble. The food is second to none, and such a wide range of food to choose from, breakfast, you can have anything from cereal to smoked salmon.The only down side is if you had a ground floor room, it can be a little noisy if there is a wedding/party going on, where people are back and forth to their rooms. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are much nicer and quieter, ask for a garden suite, or the room with a four poster be...
Chester, Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed here for four nights, as part of a travelling group of 23, using the hotel as a base for visiting National Tust gardens/properties in Cornwall. It is well situated to use as a touring base.
The hotel itself is an attractive building but a bit jaded and does need some money spending on it. The decor was a bit over the top but I think this is deliberate.
Our twin bedded room was on the small side and needed a bit of manoeuvering to get past the wardrobe to access the second bed. In contrast the bathroom was large. The beds were comfortable and I had no complaints there. Our view was over a flat roof but that did not particularly concern us as it was quiet. There is no lift but cases were taken up and brought back down prior to departure on request.
Dinner: the menu for the group was a truncated version of the published menu but it was adequate. Over the four nights the quality varied but there were no great disasters. They had a very strange way of serving some meals in what appeared to be dessert bowls. Consequently there was litle room for adding vegetables and each night there was a large proportion of vegetable waste returned to the kitchen. This could easily be reduced by using dinner plates instead of bowls. Although we were 'requested' to be in the dining room at 7pm each night there was a private party in a separate room on the last night. They were served first and we were left waiting too long. Our pleasant waitress apologised but explained she had to wait for meals for the party to go in first before we were served. As I understand it was a party for a member of the owner's family this should have been rectified by a slight change in times for ourselves - or for them.
Service in the restaurant was mixed and I think more training needs to be undertaken by some members of staff. For instance, a minor detail, but table napkins should not be taken away until coffee has finished. We rebelled on the last night and kept hold of them!
Hot breakfasts were to order and were fine - but they really could do with a toaster that does not either leave the bread under-toasted or burnt (if you put it through twice)!
One unusual evening sight was the jackdaws gathering in the trees at the front of the hotel. It was like watching a flock of starlings swooping around and I have never come across this before with jackdaws

1 Thank Roamingdolly
Cullompton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed over for one night on a business trip and enjoyed it enormously. The Penventon is badged as a 3* but easily exceeds that in my view. The place is easy to find and set back off the main road in its own grounds. The key points for me were:

Architecturally the building looks like a mistake in Lego but once you get inside all thoughts of that are lost. The staff were all friendly, helpful and professional at all times. The public rooms are in a kind of Victorian style that I really liked. They were clean and were inviting and relaxing.

I had a single room and a couple of points took the edge off slightly for me, lights not working and damage to the wardrobe door. However, to put that into context, the room / bathroom was very clean, the bed was comfortable and I slept well. The bathroom looked to have been recently refurbished with a good shower but I would comment about the trough shaped sink. It looked nice but it wasn't easy to wash / shave in without splashing water everywhere.

Where the hotel really scored for me was the restaurant. All the staff were trying really hard to do a good job and their efforts were paying off. The food was excellent! There were also some nice details, a lady playing the piano and fresh flowers on the tables. Overall very good indeed!

It also had a pool and gym but due to time I wasn't able to visit these facilities.

I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Rugby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Just come back from a 4 day stay in this hotel. It is well located to tour Cornwall The Indulgence Offer is very good value with afternoon tea or sandwiches virtually anytime in the by very friendly staff including breakfast, Great pianist in the Dining Room - couldn't fault
Pentland Rugby

Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We would highly recommend this hotel.We took the Indulgence offer which includes free afternoon tea and cocktails and a Garden Room.for the pros and cons of this type of room read other reviews for us it was fine but the mirror needs more light for shaving and the doors need anti slamming dampers.The pool,the older of the 2 saunas and bubble bath were very good the changing rooms a bit cold and wet.The Food was excellent the Monkfish and Fish soup outstanding.All the staff were willing to serve and very friendly 2 coach groups went virtually un-noticed.We hope to return a.s.a.p

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redruth
The Alverton
Polurrian Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mullion
Tregenna Castle Resort
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Penventon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!