“Lived up to expectations”
Review of Outlaw's - CLOSED

Outlaw's
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the Camel estuary, Outlaw’s at the St. Enodoc Hotel is the perfect place for a memorable meal, showcasing modern British Seafood cookery and locally sourced meat. In fine weather diners are able to enjoy their meal whilst taking in the fantastic view from the terrace.
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The whole family had been looking forward to our holiday in Cornwall, and specifically our visit to Outlaw's.

The restaurant did not disappoint. Great evening, very attentive staff, great food and, given the location and quality, pretty good value.

We have all said we'd love to go back!

Well done to all at Outlaw's.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We felt we were treated really well here. Had a drink on the patio first while we read the menus. Lovely view over the estuary but the hotel is in the middle of houses so not a spectacular location. Great varied menu. Had lovely fish served impeccably. My husband had beef but wished he'd had the fish. Cheeseboard was very nice too. Just a nice meal out - not spectacular but very enjoyable.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were very excited at the prospect of dining at Nathan Outlaw's. We were staying in Padstow for a few days, and had always been curious about visiting Rock.

Once across the short hop from Padstow, St Enodoc hotel is about 5-6 mins walk from where the boat docks. It's quite a climb up the drive to the hotel, but the views from the terrace and gardens are wonderful.

We enquired at the reception of the hotel, and were immediately given a very warm, and friendly welcome. We were invited to take our seats on the terrace, where we were met by a very friendly, and courteous waitress, called Anna. We were seated in a lovely spot on the terrace, giving us panoramic views of the camel estuary, and the nearby town of Padstow.

We had a choice of 2 set menus for lunch. The sample celebration menu was didn't really appeal to us both, so we opted for the 3-course sample summer menu, from which the Stir Fried Chilli Squid, Beetroot, Bread & Walnut Salad, were ordered as starters, Slow Cooked Short Rib beef and the Bass, Cider Spring Onions, Tarragon & Anchovy Butter for main course, followed by Strawberry & Elderflower Sorbet, Meringues, Elderflower Cream & Lime, for pudding. My wife had some sort of ice cream sandwich with either honeycomb, or biscuit crisps, the name of which escapes me.

The starters were both excellent, delivering a perfect blend of sweet, sharp, and texture. The portion size was above average too, which was impressive.

The main courses were less impressive. I had no real complaints about my fish dish, which was beautifully cooked to the second. The cider onions were delicious, but, if i had to pick something, the anchovy butter was borderline overpowering. My wife's beef dish was a bitter disappointment. There was no denying the tenderness, although after a 24hr smoking, this is to be expected. However, the taste wasn't very satisfying, and had an overpowering flavour of liquorice. Moreover, the sweet and sour carrots were just plain strange, and had a lingering, rather unpleasant perfumy aftertaste that did little to compliment the tender beef. It's as if they were trying too hard. Yes, i understand that seasonings and infusions are necessary to extract all the flavour of food, but not at the expense of completely changing their identities. What's wrong with good food, cooked to perfection? Emperor's new clothes?

The puddings were very good indeed, and i especially enjoyed the featherlite strawberry and meringue. It was a really warm afternoon, and was a perfect dessert.

As i was celebrating my 40th birthday, i had hoped that a restaurant of this pedigree would have given this more than a passing mention, but, alas, they did not.

One must remember that this is not the Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, but an upscale kind of bistro attached to the hotel, and obviously trading heavily on the Outlaw brand. It's basically PADSTEIN V ROCKLAW.

No doubt if we'd subjected ourselves to "Wine flights" and tra-la-la at the 2- star flagship restaurant, the food, and attention to detail may well have lived up to the billing.

Such a shame, because they have a setting to die for. When you consider that for less money, we dined at Paul Ainsworth at No.6 last year, and we were kind of expecting similar things here. Not to be, i'm afraid.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Staff were very attentive and knowledgeable. We had the the taster menu which was excellent. Only one course was disappointing,that being the turbot. One of my favourite fish, it was made to taste very ordinary. I have eaten at 2 and 3 Michelin star restaurants several times before and this one fell short for me of the second star. Gideligh Park for example is far superior and also two stars and Restaurant Gordon Ramsey's 3rd star is well deserved.

It was good, but I probably wont be back.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked outlaws for my boyfriends birthday and it certainly lived up to expectations. Beautiful surroundings, service impeccable and the food is top quality. One of my favourite restaurants I have ever visited and we will certainly be going back again.