“One of the best breaks we've ever had”

The Driftwood Spars B & B
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St Agnes
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in The Driftwood Spars from 30 June to 4 July, having travelled from Dublin via Bristol by car. It was the longest stay during our trip to Britain and by far the most beautiful part of the country we saw.

Firstly, the location is idyllic. St. Agnes is quite off the beaten track itself, but Trevaunance Cove is a distance from there. We never walked in to St. Agnes but if we had, we'd have chosen the Quay Rd rather than the quite-insane Rocky Lane route (a 20% gradient that will barbeque your clutch if you're not careful). But the point is we never felt the need to over 4 days because The Driftwood Spars had it all.

We were told where our room was but given its location, it was tricky to reach with all our suitcases. But when we got there, we weren't disappointed. We had number 6, which many on Trip Advisor had recommended. It had an amazing sea view straight ahead, a view to the left of the surrounding hills and was both roomy and comfortable. We would have appreciated some kind of blackout curtains/blinds as we were visiting at a time when the sun was out at 5am and sleep was a little restless in such a bright room.

Nevertheless, the positives began to outweigh the negatives. Initially it was a little unnerving to see dogs in the pub, where food was being served. But they were usually brought by those visiting for a pint or two, so we were never really bothered by them. Coming from a country where an animal in a dining room would be a cause for alarm, I'm not sure I could live with this but it was a novelty. And the food made it all worthwhile – as did the drink, eventually.....

The first evening, we decided to pop down to the pub and have a few quiet pints and a bite to eat. I ordered two pints (Abbot Ale and Touchwood Cider), brought them to our table, sat on the couch next to the table and scooched over, at which point my knee hit a protruding joint in the table which shook it to such an extent that I knocked both pints over my wife. Utterly mortified (we had literally just walked in), I attempted to tidy up and asked for two new pints. Joe the barman, to his eternal credit, took it all in his stride, helped clean up and gave us two new pints free of charge, which I thought was incredibly-decent of him.

It was at this point that my fears (from reviews here) of ditzy, “too cool for school” bar staff completely disippated. We ordered our food (my wife asked for fish and chips, I went for a burger and chips) and it arrived quite promptly. My wife adored her dish and mine was so good I ordered it again two evenings later. A burger made of marinated mince that was heavenly to taste, not too filling and accompanied by fresh toppings and great chips to boot. The beer was also fantastic; I was like a kid in a candy shop with what was on offer, many of which was made on-site at the Driftwood's own brewery. I particularly enjoyed the Bluehills session ale, which was quite unusual and all-too-drinkable!

We took a walk on the South West Coastal Path on 1 July, a glorious day as it turned out. The path crossed past The Driftwood Spars on its way to Perranporth, so we ascended it on a muggy morning and took in the gorgeous views of Trevaunance Cove. The weather cleared up as we continued our trek, down into and up from other coves along with coast, with nothing between us and the sea but a sheer drop. It took us 2½ hours to walk to Perranporth, which was 4 miles away along the path but took twice as long because of the hilly, rocky and precarious nature of the walk. It was still a great experience and we even walked back the same way, thanks to some blister plasters from Boots in Perranporth!

We spent many hours in or around the Driftwood itself because we felt this was where our holiday was. We drove to Land's End one rainy day, took a walk on the beach in Trevaunance Cove and had a cream tea in the Village Hall in St. Agnes but other than that, the Driftwood Spars was our holiday. We ate and drank in the pub, watched Morris dancers who turned up on the Monday evening and danced on the road until the sun went down (something that we heard was not only a rare occurence but actually a once-this-summer occurence, since the dancers went to a different Cornish pub every Monday night over the summer) , watched Andy Murray defeat Fernando Verdasco and savoured things like their amazing Eton Mess and truly delicious fish and chips from Ollie across the road in Lewsey Lou's, also owned by the landlady of the Driftwood, Louise Treseder (who we met a few times and always had a smile and chat with customers and guests). The Driftwood has two beer gardens, one of which we used for our Lewsey Lou's fish and chips, washed down with some quality ales from their fridge.

The one piece of cuisine we had from the Driftwood Spars every day was the cooked breakfast, which was not only extremely tasty but also sold to me the idea of fried bread, which I usually shun. And the only other thing I need from accomodation, free wifi, was also simple and reliable. Mobile coverage is pretty awful in Trevaunance Cover (on 3 anyway) but it was plentiful on the cliffs if you need to make or receive calls. I didn't and wifi meant you never felt completely out of touch. Just enough out of touch for a holiday!

I'm actually making myself lonesome for the place now, so I'll wind things up by saying if you want nothing but peace, quiet (no live music while we were there anyway!), scenery, good food, good drink and a friendly Cornish welcome, this is your place. And I think it'll be our place again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Joe L

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We got married here in May and what an amazing day it was. We can not fault Claire the wedding planner in any way she was so easy to deal with and with us living in Newcastle was great in communicating with us all the way through. On the day itself all of the staff worked so hard to ensure our day ran smoothly and the locally produced food was amazing. The Driftwood is a little gem and if we lived in St Agnes it would most certainly be our second home.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

we stopped off here when visiting st Agnes, what a beautiful place,
we had lunch at the driftwood and as it was a nice sunny day, we had lunch outside in the garden area, my wife had the Cajun squid which she thoroughly enjoyed and I had the crab sandwich to which I also enjoyed.

Room Tip: there is no swimming pool but could not delete the rating not sure how??
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January 2013 on a weekend break offer that included a three course evening meal, bed & breakfast and Sunday lunch the next day. Turned out to be great value for money
The room was basic but adequate and comfortable with great views of the sea. The service and food was very good served in the bar area although there is a separate restaurant upstairs with the same menu. Dog friendly accommodation and bar area. If you are looking for good food in an informal atmosphere set in a great location then you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Yes the outside needs painting but inside its great! We got married there and found everything we wanted catered for especially by Claire and Donald! Stayed for 2 nights and made to feel welcome and special. We use it for lunch fairly often and highly recommend the whole place.

Room Tip: I like the family room across the way but all rooms are good!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were a bit disappointed when we first drove upto this accommodation as the white paintwork really needs to be touched up, it makes the place look unkempt/unloved and this is not the case when you go inside - so really need to address this. We stayed here for 4 nights over the weekend and we enjoyed the location. The room (number 9) was a little small but the hotel told us about that before we booked so we knew, however the view more than made up for this it was lovely. Breakfast was limited but really good quality and the staff/service was excellent. The bar is really cute and exactly what you'd expect from this beautiful part of the world, it's cozy and warm but some of the staff were a bit standofish (too good looking and too cool for school for his own good) so it felt like we were asking for too much, however overall staff were ok. We were allowed to bring our dog into the bar which was a real bonus - Rattlers cyder is a must, but be warned it's potent! In summary we would return, the location was great, the staff overall were great and it's excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

excellent weekend break in this fantastic setting.the room in the annexe by the micro brewery had a excellent sea view and was well equipped.the food in the dining room was very good.i can,t wait ti come back !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Rose in Vale Country House Hotel
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to The Driftwood Spars B & B? Share your experiences!