“re-union”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Agnes
Exeter, United Kingdom
“re-union”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We heard of this hotel from friends on a coach trip who were staying.there. I contacted the hotel (Sharon, the manageress) to see how we could join our friends for dinner. The contact and subsequent dealings could not have been better. We were sent a copy of the menu for the night we would be there so that we could pick items that my disabled wife would be able to eat.

When we arrived a portable ramp had been fitted so we could go straignt into the restaurant area where a table had been set up for our party to sit together. ( normally arrangemets are made for coach parties to sit together, and we had a small room off the main restaurant, where we could see what was going on , but had some privacy for a "good old natter". The table had one chair removed and was set up so that a wheelchair could be pushed straight in

There is a good choice on the table d'hote menu and adjustments were made to suit my wife's eating ability.The food was excellent and was served on hot plates. The chicken was the most moist we had ever eaten out. The service was superb and the waiter was most attentive. He even knew that my wife had made special menu choices. There was no rushing, or delay with the courses, and the waiter talked just enough for us to know he was there,and that he cared about doing his job to the best of his ability.

Sharon, the Manageress, could not have been more helpful, and I would suggest that anyone with doubts about the suitabllity of the hotel should give her a ring, or conat by e-mail as I did.

It was a very pleasant evening, and could not have been a better environment to meet very dear old friends

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alanhardy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just returned home from staying at this hotel with a mixed review... My bedrooms decor was all very mismatch and contained a couple of cobwebs..made the mistake of pulling the bed out after dropping an earring on the floor lets just say you could sneeze from the dust.. near enough every morning my corridor smelt of smoke..Also my frinds were in rm 27 and they could hear someone elses telly over theirs. On the plus side the resataurant staff were always happy and nothing was too much trouble, as well the food fantastic but found toast abit hit and miss at breakfast (either burnt or like warm bread) but the full english made up for it. Would definately visit the hotel again but for an evening meal only... certainly not to stay

Room Tip: dont pick rm 27 ... would recommend an upgrade for a bigger room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank alison c
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My impressions of the AA 3* Rosemundy House Hotel, reception is pleasant hotel which tries to have an 'ye olde world' feeling but doesn't quite hit the mark. My room, a single overlooking the pool, appears to be 'tired' in parts and could do with a spruce-up, bathroom appears to be clean on the surface but on closer inspection cobwebs can be found in areas. It appears on the outside this room is little used.

I would also suggest the room lacked any suitable soundproofing, the many and varied nocturnal noises from other guests could quite clearly be heard.

Access to the room is via a long corridor but there doesn't seem to be any order to the room numbers. My room was located on the ground floor which was fortunate as there's no lift to the upper floors which I believe should be a necessity in a hotel that caters for a clientele made up of mainly elderly people on coach tours.

For all the disappointment with the room, I have to say the evening meals were prepared to a high standard and the waiting staff were all enthusiastic and always had a smile.

Adjacent to the dining room was the small bar which required negotiating a couple of steps which would be ok in normal circumstance except when you have to consider elderly or disabled guests.

Overall the first impressions of Rosemundy House Hotel is one of excellent service let down by issues with my room but made up with superb food. The only downside is the apparent lack of disabled facilities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank drag0n98
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We shall start with our first impression, I was tripped by a muddy green rug upon entry, not terribly in keeping with the red carpet I might add. Reception was dim and dusty. Upon entry to our room, the first thing I did, as with all hotels was move the net curtain to see my view for the week. Only to be met with dust and dead insects. The room was small and decorated with a mix match set of poor quality furniture. A seat bottom actually fell out in our friends room and was shodderly put back together with a piece of wood. The shower was appaling. I did bring this up at reception to be told there, "was a knack to it". There is no knack, although being told we would have to let it run for ten minutes before use, after thirty I gave up. The one day it was warm enough the pressure dropped halfway through, so much so I had to get out and rinse my hair in the sink. There was a tea tray in the room which was nice and included hot choclate and biscuits a very welcome treat after the awful weather. However the teapot was stained inside and the kettle looked older than myself. There was a hairdryer in the room but I didnt dare to touch mine, as it was covered in some sort of sticky mess. My friend had the same problem. She did bring it up with reception, and it was replaced. I chose to suffer in silence as had already complained a couple of times.
There is a pool table at the hotel which seemed like a fun after dinner activity, however it only just fits in the room it has been allocated. Which appears to be more of a dumping ground for spare tables and chairs. Its difficult to play when the cue hits chairs or failing that the wall every time you try.
On the up side, the hotel had a heated outdoor pool which we werent informed about so was a nice surprise, although as outdoor and given the weather we did not get to use.
Also to mention that the hotel itself serves sandwiches at lunch time, which they do not advertise, but made for a preferable option to walking up the very big hill to the main village.
The dining room was our fabourite place, it was filled with a nice atmosphere, pleasant, but not overpowering music and fantastic food. The waitresses were an asset, pleasant, polite and very helpful when we asked about the village etc. They were all constantly smiling even when we had breakfast at half past seven in the morning. They clearly enjoy their work and it really helps to make the dining experience.
The breakfasts were also worth mentioning, a proper english breakfast sets you up for the day. It was all fresh produce and with real butchers sausages, we actually bought some to take home. Along with pasties from the local bakery which were worth the trip on their own.
Overall the holiday was good, the village was charming, but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank nevertooold_52
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed here as a party in May and despite the awful weather we enjoyed our stay and the comfort and food provided by this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank france036
East Anglia, England
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just returned from a six day stay here with a cornish country gardens tour group. Whole hotel experience was excellent -food, accommodation, staff , service -can't fault it. The Rosemundy House is a historic building with add ons so once upstairs the corridors are narrow and rambling and room numbering a bit confusing.No problem though as on arrival a squad of young staff were at every corner to help and all baggage was brought to rooms and similar excellent service on departure.These young staff appeared in the restaurant also and nothing was too much trouble for them.With such an old building there is sure to be some accommodation more spacious than others but I found my single room one of the best thought out and arranged that I have stayed in. It was most comfortable and more than catered for my needs.All rooms seemed to look out on some aspect of the garden or other and despite the hotel being full it was very quiet. Located on a corner site at the foot of a steep hill, getting to the main village and shops could be a problem for some. It also prevents mobile phone availabilty!
As our programme was full I did not experience any of the entertainment but understand that the talk about the village history on one night was most interesting. Previous reviewers have commented on the late(for them) start for entertainment but as it takes place in the lovely dining room after dinner it makes sense as the meal needs to be completed and the room re arranged.
Over all a lovely place to stay and I would certainly like to return. The organisation and professionalism is first class.

Room Tip: Smokers seem to gather out on the front lawn around the front door late evening so you might have tr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank MX19
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Room was too small and dusty. The restaurant was cramped. Everything is outdated which is saying something for a 67 year old! Also everything is almost unfinished bits of paint missing wallpaper not joining perfectly. Little things but a few of them. The girls in the restaurant were perfect! As was the reception team and very happy to help. The food was of an excellent quality and served in real portions which makes a nice change! The only food complaint was I have put on weight! However these two aspects really saved it for me.

• Stayed April 2012
Lowenac Hotel
Lowenac Hotel
#4 of 5 in Camborne
Tregenna Castle Resort

Been to The Rosemundy House Hotel? Share your experiences!