The Waterwheel Inn
The White Hart(St Austell)
US$187
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
US$214
US$181
US$60
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel(St Austell)(Great Value!)
US$87
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsblack labradortree fernseden projectlovely gardenlost gardens of heliganfriendly hostswarm welcomestayed for nightsan evening mealtea and coffee making facilitiesenjoyable stayfull englishcomfortable rooma lovely place to staybreakfast was deliciouswell worth a visitlocal attractions
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I didn't stay at the Waterwheel during my short stay in St. Austell, but after finding them on Coeliac UK for dinner in the area (which wasn't either a Dominos or Frankie & Benny chain) I decided to give them a visit. The building was extremely charming and once inside was greeted by friendly staff and the very lovely black lab, Kernow.

Once advising the staff of my food problem, the chef ran through the entire menu with what was safe and whether any elements could be swapped to cater for me. They could pretty much give me everything on the menu except the lasagne. I was so impressed.
All the food is home cooked and you can certainly taste the difference. I ordered the scallops to start with and duck for the main course. It was absolutely wonderful - perfectly cooked, well presented and great portions. The dining room was also beautifully decorated.
It is 100% somewhere I will visit again and this time I will stay a few nights.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ninaaargh
frithsoken, Owner at The Waterwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

I am so pleased that you found lots of items on the menu that you could enjoy that were gluten free. I am only sorry that we had run out of our gluten free lasagne and that you didn't get to try the lemon polenta pud! As we prepare and cook virtually everything on the premises we know exactly what goes in to our food which makes it a lot easier to tailor the meals to our guests.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this; it means a lot to us.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

B & B was excellent, we were made to feel welcome, a home from home. Welcomed by Kernow, Mark and Francesca, had to wait for Bailey to put in an appearance, but worth the wait.
Lovely room next to the running stream, great breakfast, excellent evening meal (Lamb Shanks to kill for) in a well decorated dining room. Kernow took us on a tour of the garden and returned us safely to the house.
We will watch the progress on the garden via the web site with interest, and will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
frithsoken, Owner at The Waterwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Waterwheel Inn. The patio has now been concreted so it is a little easier to enjoy the garden and the tree ferns have come out of the polytunnel to add some exotic beauty. It is lovely to see the garden taking shape and I will try to keep updating the progress on the website and Facebook page.
Kernow would be happy to accompany you down to the Holy Well anytime!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Found the B&B to be of the highest quality. Francesca and Mark are excellent hosts and very welcoming. The room was pleasant, great decor and facilities. The breakfast offering was excellent, plenty of choice, good local products and cooked very well. We ate in the restaurant one evening and again found the menu and choice of dishes very good. The food again was well presented, very tasty and good value. Special mention to Kernow the labrador, always available with a friendly greeting, really added to the charm of the bar and lounge area. Would highly recommend this B&B, and will definately be staying again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am glad that you mentioned 'home from home' as this is really what we aspire to create. I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfasts and restaurant meals and Kernow is really pleased to feel that he adds charm to the lounge! Mark and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We used the B and B as a base for a weekend away with friends to explore Eden and Lost Gardens and to celebrate a birthday. We were made to feel very welcome by Francesca and Dave as well as Kernow the dog and Bailey the cat. The evening meal and breakfast were top quality and all good value for money. Yes, the rooms are quite small but there is plenty of room in the lounge and if the weather were better, in the conservatory and on the terrace. Thank you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
frithsoken, Owner at The Waterwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Waterwheel.
My head is still juggling, 19, 5 and 251810 but I had to throw away the acronyms as I needed some sleep!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

great stay would highly recommend great food and lovely company we were made to feel very welcome room was very comfortable clean and tidy.the breakfast was really nice freshly cooked and we could choose what we wanted

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
frithsoken, Owner at The Waterwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for this kind review. I am really glad that you loved your stay at The Waterwheel . Mark cooks a fabulous Full English breakfast but we have also just added a few more things to the breakfast menu to ensure even those who don't enjoy the great British fry-up can enjoy greater choice.
We hope to see you again.