The Beech Tree Guest House
The White Hart(St Austell)
US$114
US$56
Travelodge
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel(St Austell)(Great Value!)
US$80
PremierInn.com
US$162
US$129
US$220
US$206
Great 4.5/5
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewstrain and bus stationb beden projectwouldn't stay anywhere elsepiping hotset us up for the dayterrybreakfastheliganlostwithiel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The owners were very nice and helpful ( even gave me a ride when I couldn't get a taxi!!) great Breakfasts, very clean everywhere. Nice location (near rail and town) quality of sleep was good and the shower was very good too. I hope the owners will let me stay again as I plan to visit sometime in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms were quiet and very well presented.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Every good word you read of The Beech Tree is totally deserved. I stayed 4 nights last week and it was a pleasure to come back to every evening and a pleasure to start from every day. Being single the lovely comfy double bed room was a joy, especially the ceiling fan on the main light - bliss during the warm nights that week. Breakfast was perfect - crispy bacon? no problem :-) - and that was after the lovely choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt etc - honestly, the standard was 5 star. I really liked the layout of the place - no stairs, so nice! - and it was great to always have a parking place. The ensuite was kept immaculate, the room too and the best tea tray I think I've seen - I kept to tea but it was great to see a cafetiere and hot chocolate as alternatives plus a big bottle of still water - such a nice idea.
I had my plans pretty much made for where I was going every day but Shane was so kind and his suggestions so helpful I would say everyone would gain from his advice - without his knowledge I would have missed dipping my toes down at Porthpean beach the first evening - a lovely and simple little beach very nearby with a café - bonus!
Apart from some rain on Thursday afternoon it was lovely sunny weather all week. I went to the Eden Project on Monday and St. Ives by train on Tuesday- the Beech Tree is so close to the station even if you have a car don't go to St. Ives except by train - the times are good, fares reasonable, the views are lovely and no traffic worries - wonderful! I went to Fowey (said 'Foy' to rhyme with 'joy') on Wednesday, parking in the main car park at the top. Will admit I wasn't too taken with Fowey but as I'd paid for parking for the day and I'd been warned about the narrow single lanes in Mevagissey (whch was on my 'go to' list) I took the ferry over to Mevagissey - so glad I did! Great little 30 min trip over to Mevagissey which was a gem. I spent about 4 hours there and then the ferry back again to Fowey. A little walk around Fowey then the very useful bus back up to the car park (such a steep town down to the harbour!). I went to the Lost Gardens of Heligan on Thursday, spending about 4 hours just taking my time strolling through the gardens and balancing across the rope bridge in the Jungle - you've got to do it if you go! One little tip - the map they give you does say that going out you're essentially going downhill so coming back you're going uphill but some uphill bits are steep or very steep so if you find yourself at the bottom, so to speak, the Woodland Walk is actually a gentle gradiant by comparison - plus the trees are very useful umbrellas if it rains. I eat at a pub in St. Austell the first night but caught up with friends the next 3 nights at a pub, the Globe, in Lostwithiel, about 20 minutes away. The food every evening was lovely and the pub had a great atmosphere - I parked down by the river, just before the bridge, no problem - such a lovely setting. I didn't get a chance to go round Lostwithiel during the day but it's on my 'to go' list if I go back another time.
Staying at the Beech Tree was such a bonus - a lovely B&B, great location in the town and to the train station, simple and quick access to all the main roads, it made getting out and about every day easy.
If I stay in the area again I will definitely stay at the Beech Tree if I can - and so should you :-)

Room Tip: Room 2, the room I stayed in, was great for me but if you like a little more to move around in - and unless it's the only room available (in which case think very hard before saying no) - probably one of the other rooms may be better for you. I had a glimpse of room 1 I believe, the door same side of the corridor as room 2, and it looked a lovely room too with some extra 'spread out' space. You can see pictures on their webpage - mine was the double ensuite with one window.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Georgiegirl_1961
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very happy with our stay. The place was welcoming and comfortable, and Shane was very helpful and friendly. Breakfasts were wonderful. Parking on-site and walking distance to shops, supermarket and restaurants. Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just confirming what has already been written. Breakfast to sustain you all day, beautifully cooked and presented by Terry. Shane could not have been more helpful. Even supplying an extension lead to charge my wife's mobility scooter (without cost!). Terry was a mine of information with suggestions for visits for the whole week of our stay. Excellent recommendations for evening meals in the vicinity. Would not hesitate to recommend this to anybody looking for a home from home. Even the weather was excellent for the whole week!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Its hard to find anything to say about the Beech Tree that hasn't all ready been said, Wonderful Friendly Clean, Cosy, Convenient from the minute you walk up to the front gate with its well tended gorgeous garden, the Beech Tree really does deserve all the praise it gets, thank you Shane for all your help, you made our stay a breeze, thanks also to Terry for the delicious breakfasts. You wont be disappointed with a stay at this friendly guest house .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family