“Excellent Bed and Breakfast”
Review of Pen Star House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Austell
Pen Star House
Ranked #82 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Lovely friendly hosts, made us feel at home, a lovely house and so clean. Our room at the front of the house was immaculate well decorated and nice and cool on a hot summer night. We slept well, and breakfast was great, with lots to choose from. Will be visiting again when we are next down that way. Thank you for a perfect weekend.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had 2 nights stay and it was wonderful, we were made to feel at home instantly the rooms were exceedingly clean and had everything in them that you needed and more. Breakfast was fantastic with a very wide selection and even a specials board. Lots of info on what was going on locally. If we return to Cornwall we wold most definitely use this B&B again.

Room Tip: If a hotel or B&B has 10 good reviews and 1 bad then think very carefully about the bad one beca...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Had the chance to come down to Cornwall again for a few days and have stayed here before. Found everything spot on as we did last time. Really warm welcome, Lovely clean comfortable rooms and briliant wide choice at breakfast. Plenty of info from the owners on where to dine and visit made the stay really enjoyable seeing things we would have otherwise missed.

Room Tip: All rooms are large and airy and we had no problem sleeping.
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This place is just average really.
It was clean and had a car space but that's about all I can say to recommend it.
The location is ordinary, it's right on a main road and you are constantly bombarded by traffic noise going up and down the street. The curtain is not adequate to block out light so the room remains lit up by street lights. I had to sleep with eye patches which is normally a sign of a cheap room.
The bed is a sprung mattress type and not very comfortable so my sleep was not great and to top it off they knocked on the door at 10am sharp on a Sunday. Great! (not).
Didn't try breakfast because the service time was between 8am and 8:45am. Ridiculous (for guests anyway). They have a " 7 day linen change policy" which seems a bit mean if you're staying a week but I didn't check the tarrif so it might be reasonable.
Also - smallest tv set in the universe (probably) in the room. Not that this was a priority but here's a warning for you if it is.
Some positives: a short walk to Charlestown is convenient for a night out, the owners seemed nice enough and there is free wifi.
I'll be side stepping this one if I'm back this way though.

Room Tip: Do not take the rooms facing the road!
3  Thank Mick M
starnstorm, Owner at Pen Star House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you it was a pleasure to meet you too! Honestly you booked 1 night only then rip us to pieces because we are not a 5* hotel. Which bit of the web site did you read? We are exactly as it states and yes on a road there are not many b&b's that are not!! Breakfast time suits the majority again we are not a hotel with a wide time range, the tv is 26" and 3ft from the bed how big do you want a tv right next to the bed?? there is a 40" tv in the sitting room!

I knocked on your door at 10mins past 10am as you had not come down for breakfast and you should have vacated before 10am stated on the internet booking page and your booking form and your confirmation email and also the room info !! we have a charging policy for people that do not check out on time I was saving you this - I should not have bothered you did not deserve it. Honestly 1 nighters are a pain in the backside nothing is ever good enough.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Needing somewhere to stay for a single night whilst walking the coast path, and failing to find anywhere nearer to the coast than a mile inland, I thought I'd struck lucky with this place which was cheap and took single night stays, unlike most of the B&Bs along the coast. The room, and separate bathroom, themselves were clean, a decent size and in good condition. The quality of the breakfast was good. In fact all of the physical facilities were good. But the whole experience was spoiled by the attitude of the staff. Having waited half an hour around the corner until the strict four pm check-in time, we were then left hanging a further quarter hour while the landlady checked in another couple (fair enough), but really slowly. That I could live with, but not the moaning about everyone turning up at once (well what do you expect if you operate a strict 4-6pm check-in ?). The profusion of signs and instructions, and reminders that "this is our home" were also not conducive to actually making a guest feel at home, neither were the over-worthy signs about environmental policies ("we don't take baths we use the shower" - so why leave a bath plug in the bath then if you don't want me to use it ?). But what really took the biscuit was the service at breakfast. I didn't want the full breakfast, so I asked if I could have the smaller option of poached eggs, but with a sausage too, and got an outright refusal. You could have heard a pin drop in the breakfast room. This is an unacceptable way to treat a paying guest. I wouldn't stay at Pen Star again if you paid me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hillplodder

That shows how much notice you took of where you were as we have no staff ! firstly the check in times of 4 - 6pm are when you can arrive at any time between these times alternatively a different arrangement can be made with us with notice you can even book early check or late check out on the web site !! seems you did not take much notice of what you were booking or the confirmation email I sent you detailing this!! and I certainly don't mind if everyone turns up at the same time - it makes my job easier !! what you didn't like was that someone else got here just before you and you had to wait and of course I will take my time greeting guests and explaining where to eat and answering their questions etc.
As for the environmental policies we in the hospitality industry are encouraged to do our bit and so we all should, the notice is there but so is the plug for you to choose!!

And breakfast?? one minute you say it was really good the next it was not?? and I think you miss understood the sausage bit - we were not serving sausages only hogs pudding and the dining room was quiet as guests were appalled at your attitude and commented after you left. You made me feel extremely uncomfortable from the moment you arrived until you left. Oh and you left without so much as goodbye!! I had to open the door and come out after you and say thank you & goodbye!!! think that shows how rude you were.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Yes this is a well-appointed guest house; you cannot say otherwise, the room was well equipped, spacious, clean and well decorated. The single bed was okay for the one night.

What surprised me was the lack of a friendly welcome, which I was expecting. I found little evidence of a friendly welcome, it was come in here’s the keys; pay now if you are leaving during breakfast and good night.

Be aware of the amount of rules to follow.

Note the stupid check in times, only from 4pm to 6pm.

The website states ‘The bus and railway station is also in easy reach’ this is not the case, when you arrive to find you cannot get a taxi as in my case, it is a thirty minute walk to the guest house.

The town centre, the nearest place to get an evening meal is at least a twenty minute walk away, so be warned if you come by train.

Then be warned that this is a family home, so expect noise from other guest’s televisions and the like, in my case until midnight.

Breakfast was good, nice choice and efficient service.

Room Tip: If coming by train or bus, look for a more central location, this guest is isolated
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CTHTravelUK
starnstorm, Owner at Pen Star House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your review - Oh dear, never a truer saying than can't please all the people all the time! the bit that made us laugh was remote !! we wish!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed one night to break our journey to St Ives ... everything was perfect. Our room was absolutely spotless, stylish and very well equipped. Hosts, Anne and Gary were lovely, professional and friendly and the breakfast was superb; lots of choice, cooked and presented perfectly! If you are looking for quality accommodation in this area then Pen Star House would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
starnstorm, Owner at Pen Star House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you so much for your really kind review, we are so fortunate to meet so many really lovely people such as yourselves, it makes all the effort and hard work worth while:)