“Truly Wonderful!!”

The Gables Guest House
Ranked #37 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I had the great pleasure of staying at The Gables last week for a two night stay!! Barbara and Mike were wonderful hosts!! The room was exceptionally clean and had everything in it to make our stay a wonderful experience. The breakfast was superb!! I can't praise Barbara and Mike enough. Their attention to detail is outstanding!! We shall be returning!! Sarah and Simon

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for your lovely review, it was nice to see that we are looking after our guests well and you both enjoyed your break here at 'The Gables'.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We went to st Austell for a christening and I found this fab little b&b. the communication before we went was really good and very friendly. When we arrived Barbara was waiting for us with a big smile. The room was very clean and modern with ensuite. Good size room. There was a bottle of fresh bottled water on the side in a lovely hand painted bottle. The breakfast menu had unusual choices like creamy porridge, bacon butty or of course a full English which I have to say was one of the best I have had. Everything was from the local butcher not supermarket produce, and the sausage were delicious. The b&b is four star with silver grade and I can say that it is well deserved. We will defiantly be coming back to this lovely b&b and thanks for everything when we go back t visit family we will decently be booking here again. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: We had an en suite room your best to ask for one before you book.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

We are very pleased you had a nice time here at 'The Gables' and that you would book again. We would enjoy seeing you again.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Well we booked this via KGB, initially having a nightmare to get the booking, despite having paid for a voucher, the owners initially refused to honour it. It is not my fault as the customer, you entered into a deal, that has left you out of pocket.

We were greeted by a gentleman, saying that if you wanted a cooked breakfast that would be extra, and despite my complaint, his attitude was tough. I actually found him very rude. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Now to the room, very small. Barely enough room to open the door. No wardrobe, a very tiny tv, and no en-suite. The shower room was across the room. Not the cleanest room I have stayed in, dust on the bed steals, nice for someone with asthma. But no, I never mentioned it, because I had already been shouted down by the owners.

Breakfast... Warm and good quality. But why make so much fuss about white wheat bread?

Car parking, very small

Location, location is really good, they need to trim the bush outside cause it block the pavement, but nice and close to town, and easy walking distance.

Overall. Would I go back. NO, not even on the bargain KGB deal I had, if I had paid full price for the room, I would have asked for a refund and left. I think I would have a better experience at the travelodge or premier inn.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ring and ask for an en-suite. Don't email, they won't reply.
3  Thank SRD112
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

A case of 'sour grapes' as you seemed to think you would altomatically have our 4 poster luxury room; you didnt do your homework and go on our web-site and see that we have 4 rooms, all different, all sizes, 2x rooms with en-suites and 2x with own private adjacent shower rooms.

The deal was ' A 2x night stay at The Gables Guest House with breakfast' it didnt mention with en-suite only, nor did it mention with 'Full English breakfast'.

When you arrived, my husband, said you were both quite happy and explained about the breakfast buffet bar that was included in the deal and if you would like the cooked as well, it would be £3.50p per person, you were happy with that and paid for both mornings. Then my husband took you both to your room and showed you where everything was etc.

Next thing, you both came down stairs with your arms folded, shouting at my husband, where upon, you were told that that was the only room available, as we were full. My husband came and collected me from my evening out, early, as he was quite upset with the way you spoke to him! When we arrived back, you both had gone out for the evening. In the morning, after breakfast and on your way out for the day, I asked you about your problem with the room etc., as we pride ourselves in keeping guests comfortable and happy. You said, that apparently, I had send an e-mail stating that you could have a certain room with en-suite, which obvisously with this deal, it is a question of 1st come 1st serve, it is fairer that way, so I knew I would not have sent such an e-mail.

As for dust on the bed sted!! never!! we pride ourselves in our cleanliness throughout our guest house. Guests who were in your room, on this same deal, who left that same day you arrived, were so pleased with everything, the room, cleanliness, breakfasts and our hospitality, even left us a lovely gift and a thank you card!

At the end of the day we are a small, cosy 4 star, Silver award (recently awarded) and Breakfast award rated by VisitBritain Guest House who think we're fab!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed for two nights at the begining of October. A lovely guest house, extremely clean with great hosts, Barbara and Michael who welcomed us into their home. They were very attentive hosts and nothing was too much trouble. Our beautifully decorated, ensuite room was not only spotlessly clean for our arrival but when we returned back on the second day everything had been cleaned again. Breakfast was served in the conservatory and what a great breakfast it was. Cereals, fruit and toast followed by a full english consisting of fresh local produce. Worth every penny. Situated just a 10 minute walk from the town and a few minutes from the A390, it was conveniently situated and if we plan another visit to Cornwall, we hope the Gables will have room for us!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Mike and I are so pleased to had a lovely time here at 'The Gables' such a lovely review, thank you so much and look forward to your return one day.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We had a lovely two night stay at the gables and enjoyed our stay very much.
The only negative for us was that until we arrived we were not aware that a cooked breakfast was extra..........only £3.50p each and perfectly cooked but it would have been less embarrassing if we had been told this when booking.

Room Tip: There is a larger room that is used for the bridal suite.......our room was very small but lacked no...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

You had brought one of these 2x night national deals, which was, ' 2x night stay for 2x people with breakfast'. The breakfast in the deal was, cereals, selection of fresh fruit, yoghurt, toast and tea/coffee. National deal companies take an enormous amount of commission plus V.A.T. out of the money and that is why, if guests with this deal wanted a cooked breakfast as well as the above, then it is pointed out on arrival, when the cooked breakfast forms are shown.

When we next do a national deal, we will point out a surcharge for cooked breakfast!

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Reading other reviews We wholeheartedly agree with the positive ones and more. This is not a job to this wonderful couple. They do it for pleasure. Their aim is to ensure your are happy and comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble. They are proud of their lovely home and so they should be. We did wonder why it isn`t five star rated.

Room Tip: Whoops clicked on swimming pool in error.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

I know its better late than never, wasn't quite sure how to it, I have the hang of it now...I would just like to say a big thank you for your lovely review it made Mike and I feel we have made this lovely couple comfortable and happy and that is what it is all about.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

If you want a proper family-run guest house, where you get lovely, caring and friendly hospitality, and where you feel relaxed enough to go and turn a lamp on and sit in the conservatory area on your laptop at midnight on the free wifi, then you have found it!

Breakfast was excellent - great selection of continental; fresh toast brought to you; and a nice cooked breakfast prepared personally for you.

Our room was a twin as requested, and whilst it couldn't be described as spacious, it was more than sufficient and well organised, and the private bathroom was directly opposite the bedroom door; and again, it was not big, but compact and totally as required.

Both the bedroom and the bathroom were spotlessly clean. The gardens were lovely also.

Parking was free, and whilst it is on a relatively busy road, I don't recall being disturbed by the traffic noise at all. If you are wanting to stay in St Austell, then this is a good base and very close to where you'd be wanting to go.

I am sure one could find a more spacious room for a similar price elsewhere nearby if you tried, but you'd be most hard-pushed to find service and hospitality quite so charming and friendly. Thank you to Barbara and Michael for their efforts.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends