“Top B&B”

Ranked #35 of 96 St Austell B&B and Inns
Devon, United Kingdom
“Top B&B”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I guess the two things you want when you stay B&B is good clean comfortable accommodation and a good breakfast. The Gables scores top marks on both. Handy location if you're thinking of visiting Eden Project and the Lost Gardens or just passing through. Barbara and Mike are two of the nicest folk you could wish to meet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Came down to Cornwall totally stressed and left so relaxed. Barbara and Mike are natural hosts and nothing is too much trouble. Our room was contemporary and spotless with all the bits you need on a weekend away. Breakfast was well worth getting up for. The B&B is well situated to discover the cornish coastline and Barbara helped us find an alternative route to Falmouth that saw us in the most beautiful bay. Top marks all round and thank you

• Stayed August 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The owners attention to details made this a superb experience for us. Warm, friendly welcome, really good choice for breakfast and excellent location, even when using public transport to visit attractions in the area. A lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Yet another trip around the country without organising any B&B's as we like to get in the land rover and see where we end up... cornwall was the destination of area to see.

After travelling for two days we needed another place to stay. Travelling back up the costal area by Newquay we were looking out for B&B's.... this has to be one of the worst areas for finding B&B's just by driving by. We stopped off at over 10 B&B's to take a look and to be honest it was actually shocking to see the standards in this area - dirty curtains, poor decor, over priced to say the least.

After several dissapointing stops we pulled in to the Gables and what a delight... Mike... i just love him... when he speaks it brings an instant smile to my face and Barbara... lovely!

The bedrooms are a surprise, decorated at a high level and exceptionally clean and tidy, one of the best that i have come across.

Shower and bath were great, the bed was exceptionally comfortable and the Breakfast was a hearty one.

The B&B is a 5 star standard even though Barbara doesn't put this on the sign outside as she thinks it will reduce her custom as people will think it is something it isn't when searching i.e. over priced.

The place is a great find and we were delighted with our time there. This couple are great and love what they do... you can tell when you stay for the night as it is how a good B&B should be.

If anyone has had a bad experiene i would find it hard to believe as the couple are exceptionally friendly and chirpy so... i would recommend a stop off if you are looking to visit the Eden project which is only up the road.

Great place!

Room Tip: Any room - they are all good. We had the new four poster bed room.... as Mikey would say... the rom...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
After reading your wonderful review and remembering how lovely you both were and how you enjoyed our little Bed and Breakfast Guest House. It made Mike and I feel good, as some guests have thought us to be a bit over friendly... we are just us, welcoming you to our home and to enjoy our hospitality and your well earned break away.

A big thank you for your lovely review.
Surrey
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I had the great pleasure of staying at The Gables last week for a two night stay!! Barbara and Mike were wonderful hosts!! The room was exceptionally clean and had everything in it to make our stay a wonderful experience. The breakfast was superb!! I can't praise Barbara and Mike enough. Their attention to detail is outstanding!! We shall be returning!! Sarah and Simon

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review, it was nice to see that we are looking after our guests well and you both enjoyed your break here at 'The Gables'.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We went to st Austell for a christening and I found this fab little b&b. the communication before we went was really good and very friendly. When we arrived Barbara was waiting for us with a big smile. The room was very clean and modern with ensuite. Good size room. There was a bottle of fresh bottled water on the side in a lovely hand painted bottle. The breakfast menu had unusual choices like creamy porridge, bacon butty or of course a full English which I have to say was one of the best I have had. Everything was from the local butcher not supermarket produce, and the sausage were delicious. The b&b is four star with silver grade and I can say that it is well deserved. We will defiantly be coming back to this lovely b&b and thanks for everything when we go back t visit family we will decently be booking here again. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: We had an en suite room your best to ask for one before you book.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We are very pleased you had a nice time here at 'The Gables' and that you would book again. We would enjoy seeing you again.
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Well we booked this via KGB, initially having a nightmare to get the booking, despite having paid for a voucher, the owners initially refused to honour it. It is not my fault as the customer, you entered into a deal, that has left you out of pocket.

We were greeted by a gentleman, saying that if you wanted a cooked breakfast that would be extra, and despite my complaint, his attitude was tough. I actually found him very rude. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Now to the room, very small. Barely enough room to open the door. No wardrobe, a very tiny tv, and no en-suite. The shower room was across the room. Not the cleanest room I have stayed in, dust on the bed steals, nice for someone with asthma. But no, I never mentioned it, because I had already been shouted down by the owners.

Breakfast... Warm and good quality. But why make so much fuss about white wheat bread?

Car parking, very small

Location, location is really good, they need to trim the bush outside cause it block the pavement, but nice and close to town, and easy walking distance.

Overall. Would I go back. NO, not even on the bargain KGB deal I had, if I had paid full price for the room, I would have asked for a refund and left. I think I would have a better experience at the travelodge or premier inn.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ring and ask for an en-suite. Don't email, they won't reply.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SRD112
Barbara T, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
A case of 'sour grapes' as you seemed to think you would altomatically have our 4 poster luxury room; you didnt do your homework and go on our web-site and see that we have 4 rooms, all different, all sizes, 2x rooms with en-suites and 2x with own private adjacent shower rooms.

The deal was ' A 2x night stay at The Gables Guest House with breakfast' it didnt mention with en-suite only, nor did it mention with 'Full English breakfast'.

When you arrived, my husband, said you were both quite happy and explained about the breakfast buffet bar that was included in the deal and if you would like the cooked as well, it would be £3.50p per person, you were happy with that and paid for both mornings. Then my husband took you both to your room and showed you where everything was etc.

Next thing, you both came down stairs with your arms folded, shouting at my husband, where upon, you were told that that was the only room available, as we were full. My husband came and collected me from my evening out, early, as he was quite upset with the way you spoke to him! When we arrived back, you both had gone out for the evening. In the morning, after breakfast and on your way out for the day, I asked you about your problem with the room etc., as we pride ourselves in keeping guests comfortable and happy. You said, that apparently, I had send an e-mail stating that you could have a certain room with en-suite, which obvisously with this deal, it is a question of 1st come 1st serve, it is fairer that way, so I knew I would not have sent such an e-mail.

As for dust on the bed sted!! never!! we pride ourselves in our cleanliness throughout our guest house. Guests who were in your room, on this same deal, who left that same day you arrived, were so pleased with everything, the room, cleanliness, breakfasts and our hospitality, even left us a lovely gift and a thank you card!

At the end of the day we are a small, cosy 4 star, Silver award (recently awarded) and Breakfast award rated by VisitBritain Guest House who think we're fab!