“Late Night Arrival”
Review of Sedgemoor Heights

Sedgemoor Heights
Ranked #43 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was a late booking...made on my train journey down from Paddington to St Austell. Ray was not phased by my late arrival (11.45ish p.m.) and both he and Blue greeted me warmly.

Ray good humouredly showed me my room and an assortment of paintings in the room; then the kettle went on! cafe at midnight...I don't normally drink caffeine at that hour but it was so comforting to hear the kettle-on, I did. I even got my wi-fi sorted...all before bed.

Delicious breakfast next morning almost rounded off my comfortable stay.... I had a new job induction and Ray kindly let me leave my luggage behind until my return at the end of the day.
Ray gave me some good tips on computer ink....and I heard Bat Your Lashes for the first time...lovely voice....at least I hope I remembered that ok?
A memorable stay...thank you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

We always try to help regarding guests' arrival times. If we are in and awake when folk arrive, we try to be helpful! Thanks for your kind comments.

There are newer reviews for Sedgemoor Heights

Reviewed 23 January 2013

It was a last minute booking and I didn't know much about the place before arriving but what a gem this B&B is !

The owner cooks a mean breakfast in the morning and you can wash it down it a perfect cup of tea over an amazingly in-depth conversation with inspiring amounts of local knowledge not to mention his quirky personality makes just staying around the B&B fun.

The rooms are as clean as I have ever seen, bathrooms were sparkling everything was above standard.

They go out of their way to go that extra mile and give it that really homely feel.

If I ever have the chance to refer anyone to stay in the area I would certainly point them here first.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank J0eBl0ggs
Ericthehalfbee, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

I don't normally function too well in the mornings, at least, that's what I thought! As I recall, though, we sorted out all the problems of the world before 9am!

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Wow, what a find. Accomodation is spacious, scrupulously clean and absolutely loaded with character. We were made to feel very welcome by Ray, his wife and Blue. We stayed in 'The Nursery' which was roomy, comfortable, and thoughtfully furnished. Breakfast was plentiful and included slices of 'real potato', free range eggs and homemade bread - lovely.
Unfortunately we were on a flying visit to Cornwall so only stayed the one night, but we would have loved to have stayed longer.
Thanks Ray we really enjoyed our stay with you in your beautiful home.
Diane, Bob & Ewan Dog

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Glad you enjoyed your short stay. Since your visit, The Nursery has had a total make-over. It's still big, but there are lots of changes; new wall-paper, new beds, furniture, toilet, sink, carpet, etc, etc ...even a new [well, reclaimed] Victorian door for the ensuite. I hope you return to enjoy the improvements.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

We chose to stay at Sedgemoor by chance, but it has been a truly amazing experience. Great owner with a great house full of wonderful collections such as paintings, souvenirs and other collectable items. We like Blue (the border collie) so much and really enjoyed her little game of hidden toy. When you enjoy your breakfast, don't forget to ask about the story of the doll at corner of the dining room. Will definately come back if we visit Cornwall again! I will tell my friends in China about this great B&B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room, which is great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

In short: great - if I am in Cornwall I will come again.

After a very difficult day of an 80 mile cycle trip, I was exhausted but I felt instantly welcome. I am glad I chose to come to Sedgemoor Heights.

The accommodation was fine in itself - very clean room, comfy bed, clean and functional bathroom and nicely chosen bits of decor.

However, when the owner is someone you would happily spend evenings down the pub with, you know you are onto a winner. Ray was polite, friendly and erudite. The best B&B owner I've had the pleasure of staying with. I would happily return for another visit if I was to be in that part of the world again.

Please do ask to listen to the record collection. Audiophiles will LOVE this place.

Obligatory criticism: I only got one slice of toast in the morning because the bread ran out when my cycling partner ate the rest. Breakfast was otherwise very good.

As for the need for matching towels - DILLIGAF? Give me a charming host any day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Ticks all the important boxes - friendly owners, good room, excellent breakfast, hot shower, quiet and relaxed. Blue (the dog) is a definite plus for a dogophile like me. It is also very convenient as a base for most of Cornwall if you are on public transport.

It's a bit of a pity that it's let down by the town itself (but then, I remember St Austell before it was ruined by the big supermarkets)!

All in all, a good experience.

Room Tip: I'm sure Ray would give you the best room to meet your needs - for example, the Butlers Room was...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Ericthehalfbee, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Thanks, David for your astute observations and useful comments.
And yes, selecting "the best room to meet your needs" is something taken into consider;ation we like people to be as comfortable as possible.
Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I travelled from London to St Austell, Cornwall recently to perform at the Eden Project Cafe, staying at the Sedgemoor Heights b&b. The Sedgemoor is wonderfully arranged with a sense of privacy and comfort. The staff are seasoned pros and genuinely interested in the experience of their guests. I had a wonderful time and would stay there again absolutely.

Room Tip: The double room is great. Wifi signal a little weak upstairs, but there is a good common area where...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ned E
Ericthehalfbee, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Both myself and my staff (it's the same person) thank you for your enigmatic review. As I cannot publish your name, or the title of your latest cd you so kindly gave me, all I can say here is, "Many thanks, and may your glass necked guitar never break."
I apologise for any confusion caused by this review and its response.