“What a Find”

Ranked #37 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
Northamptonshire
“What a Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

We've just returned from a 5 night stay at Sedgemoor Heights and had a wonderful time. Ray was an amusing and informative host, directing us to dog-friendly pubs and places of interest. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable and the breakfast excellent. The three guest bedrooms are situated at the rear of the house with their own access and there is no traffic noise. Five minutes walk into the town, off-road parking, what more could you want (apart from decent weather)? I tried to find Ericthehalfbee, Ray's Public Relations Manager, to pass on my comments but he was unavailable hence the review on here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ericthehalfbee, Front Office Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
I am sorry Ericthehalfbee, my public relations officer was unavailable to respond to your very astute comments [it's difficult getting suitable staff, see our website] which I feel sure will be informative to others considering booking with us at Sedgemoor Heights.
Thanks for your comments and we hope you'll stay again some time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

A last minute decision to add one more to our group, meant we needed a room in St Austell. Booked online from the car and received a call from the owner within an hour to confirm arrangements for checking in. Room was great and we got to see other rooms and they were also impressive. Very friendly hosts, good breakfast. 5 minutes walk to centre of town which saves on parking fees. If you see any negative views on here...I would treat them with a pinch of salt....probably the competition!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Ericthehalfbee, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Thanks for your kind comments. Be assured all the reviews are from genuine guests, including the negative ones! Your observations are much appreciated. Thank you.
Marnhull, Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I had a very pleasant stay with Ray and his wife in their centrally situated house for the Eden Project and The Gardens of Heligan. My room with en suite was most comfortable though the decor could have been a little lighter in colour but still keeping the nautical theme. Ray was a genial host and one couldn't fault the breakfast which catered for every taste.
A happy visit in glorious sunshine.
Judy Fyfe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
high wycombe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

A real find here, house of character, equalled by the host. So much history (and humour) in both,
gently released, we needed more time to enjoy & appreciate it --- don't miss the perfectly boiled egg, 3mins: perfection!

Room Tip: The Nursery was delightful
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Ericthehalfbee, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, particularly those related to the eggs! I must confess that I find boiled eggs a problem. Apparently, Prince Charles has a selection of 6 eggs prepared with different boiling times so the "perfect soft-boiled breakfast egg " is amongst them; I regret I cannot duplicate this service!
I normally show the egg to the guest and ask how long they'd like it boiled for [passing the egg buck] and it's 90% successful.
Thanks again.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was a late booking...made on my train journey down from Paddington to St Austell. Ray was not phased by my late arrival (11.45ish p.m.) and both he and Blue greeted me warmly.

Ray good humouredly showed me my room and an assortment of paintings in the room; then the kettle went on! cafe at midnight...I don't normally drink caffeine at that hour but it was so comforting to hear the kettle-on, I did. I even got my wi-fi sorted...all before bed.

Delicious breakfast next morning almost rounded off my comfortable stay.... I had a new job induction and Ray kindly let me leave my luggage behind until my return at the end of the day.
Ray gave me some good tips on computer ink....and I heard Bat Your Lashes for the first time...lovely voice....at least I hope I remembered that ok?
A memorable stay...thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
We always try to help regarding guests' arrival times. If we are in and awake when folk arrive, we try to be helpful! Thanks for your kind comments.
Kloof, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

It was a last minute booking and I didn't know much about the place before arriving but what a gem this B&B is !

The owner cooks a mean breakfast in the morning and you can wash it down it a perfect cup of tea over an amazingly in-depth conversation with inspiring amounts of local knowledge not to mention his quirky personality makes just staying around the B&B fun.

The rooms are as clean as I have ever seen, bathrooms were sparkling everything was above standard.

They go out of their way to go that extra mile and give it that really homely feel.

If I ever have the chance to refer anyone to stay in the area I would certainly point them here first.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank J0eBl0ggs
Ericthehalfbee, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
I don't normally function too well in the mornings, at least, that's what I thought! As I recall, though, we sorted out all the problems of the world before 9am!
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Wow, what a find. Accomodation is spacious, scrupulously clean and absolutely loaded with character. We were made to feel very welcome by Ray, his wife and Blue. We stayed in 'The Nursery' which was roomy, comfortable, and thoughtfully furnished. Breakfast was plentiful and included slices of 'real potato', free range eggs and homemade bread - lovely.
Unfortunately we were on a flying visit to Cornwall so only stayed the one night, but we would have loved to have stayed longer.
Thanks Ray we really enjoyed our stay with you in your beautiful home.
Diane, Bob & Ewan Dog

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Glad you enjoyed your short stay. Since your visit, The Nursery has had a total make-over. It's still big, but there are lots of changes; new wall-paper, new beds, furniture, toilet, sink, carpet, etc, etc ...even a new [well, reclaimed] Victorian door for the ensuite. I hope you return to enjoy the improvements.