“Nice Stay”

Ranked #40 of 96 St Austell B&B and Inns
switzerland
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have been visiting the nearby "Eden Project" and needed a lodging for just one night. The B&B is easy to find and Ray was a very helpful host. Not only he supported me to park my car (Parking spaces in England are somehow always undersized.......) but he also gave us lots of information about places of interest and where to eat.
Our room was pretty and clean (although not very spacious). We loved very much the breakfast in the cosy dining room. It was like a home from home.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ray_Worman, Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 20 February 2015
Glad you found us homely and enjoyed your stay. We're always pleased to help. Thanks for your comments: your view of parking here in the UK gave us food for thought. It made us wonder what your "native" parking experiences are like!
Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Ray was welcoming but not very helpful. When l asked if l could have decaf coffee with breakfast Ray replied " No sorry l've just drunk the last of it". We arrived just as he was going out so didn't realise until after he had gone that there was only one bath towel and hand towel in the bathroom (and these were slightly damp, we just hoped they were clean) so we were unable to ask for any more. Even though it had been a warm sunny day the bedroom felt cold & damp and the bathroom had nowhere to put our wash things except on the floor, the shower could have done with a shelf to put toiletries on as well. I would review this B & B as poor to average. Compared to others we stayed in Cornwall all costing the same per night the standard was well down.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NanaAngela
Ray_Worman, Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
I'm sorry this guest was dissatisfied with both me and the property. My flippant remark regarding decaffeinated tea was misinterpreted as rudeness. Be assured rudeness was not intended. [I should have added that a pack tea had been cluttering up our kitchen cupboard for ages and I was so fed up, I used it up myself]

This early misunderstanding precipitated an unhappy atmosphere, both physically and metaphorically.

As for the towels, I assure visitors that they are always changed for every new guest. I'm sorry I missed out a hand-towel. I have addressed the "cold": heating cranked up, windows flung open to air the room: the 200 years since the original build means there are issues that are sometimes difficult to totally address. We are doing our very best...
Subiaco, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Ray could not have been more welcoming or helpful. Very central to town and rail. Good bus service all with in a shot walking distance . Very clean, all rooms are well presented. Good breakfast and just a nice place to be.

Room Tip: Take the bus to The Eden Project. You will need a day to take in every part of the project. It is w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ray_Worman, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thanks for your kind comments and observations. Other Eden advice: if you're travelling to Eden by foot, bus or bike, don't bother to pre-book! It will save you money, honest and you can claim a year's free access, too.
Hope we'll see you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After a trip to Land's End, we were tired and looking for a place for an overnight stay and found Ray's B&B. Ray - and his dog Blue - were excellent hosts providing lots of advice on restaurants (that was mostly Ray) and gave the place a homely feel (that was both Ray and Blue). Room was nice and very quiet,the bed was good and a nice breakfast was served. HIghly recommended - Malene and Svend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greensvenne
Ray_Worman, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. It's nice to think we can be a place of solace after a hectic day! Both Blue and myself are pleased you enjoyed your stay. If you are down this way again you must visit the most southerly point of England: Lizard Point; an area totally unspoilt; unlike Land's End! And there's the bluebells in May too........
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at short notice on business overnight. Good comfortable room, with good parking facilities, and handy for St Austell Centre. Ray was very welcoming, breakfast very good. Would use this again if visiting either on business or leisure.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here midweek en route further south. Ray was very welcoming and friendly and because I was leaving early the next morning, even made me a packed breakfast. Agree with Stevie777 forget your Premier Inns or Travelodge and go for a stay somewhere with more of a personal feel to it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ray_Worman, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
Thanks for choosing an "old school" bed and breakfast. I have no particular gripe against "The Big Guys", in fact I occasionally use them myself. But, if you want something more personal, then there's the adventure of finding somewhere that's more individual. I think we "smaller" establishments can offer a personal touch. We are familiar with guests here who love a chat, those who prefer to be very private, and everything in-between. That's the joy of it all. Variety, a bit of adventure....
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here a couple weeks back, house was easy to find, plenty of parking, room was comfy, breakfast was good, but dining hall was very chilly, I am not normally one to worry about the cold, would stay again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ray_Worman, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Glad you enjoyed the stay, but sorry you were a trifle chill! I think I forgot to "boost" the dining room heat that morning with our very efficient electric heater when I got up that morning. I normally put it on when necessary to supplement the heating in the dining room. I

You should have said: I'd have happily put the electric heater on and it warms things up pretty fast. I'll make the point of asking "Are you warm enough?" [I don't always ask, but will make a point of it on chill mornings] in the future.

Our guests need not worry: the heating in guests area of the house of the house is totally separate from "our" part. Our guests are kept warm in their rooms and sitting areas. Radiators in each of the guests' rooms have their own thermostatic controls, so can be adjusted to suit the guests' preferences.

If there's ever a temperature issue, just tell us and it'll be dealt with.