“Stunning, just Stunning”
Review of Broad Meadow House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Austell
Broad Meadow House
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Me & my husband stayed at Broad Meadow for 8 days a the beginning of July 2014, and to sum up this campsite: Stunning just amazingly STUNNING...if you want a chilled out, peaceful, totally relaxed holiday then this is the place to be (altho I do agree with one of the other reviewers....you really don't want anyone else to know about it because you want to keep it all for yourself!!!).
Debs & Neil are the most genuine, friendly and most hospitable people I think we have ever come across - seriously!!

Before I begin I just wanted to dispel a few concerns of previous writers.....there are NOT 12 pitches on the site (five I believe including the static...which looks awesome and very inviting!)...we experienced a minute or two (on occasion depending on when we went!) waiting for the shower or the loo, which is no longer than anywhere else to be honest...and that was with a full compliment of campers (total four tents) !! And we LOVED not having cars on the campsite, no noisy engines being started up each day, no fumes.....brilliant!!!
To add to other rave reviews, the personal touches to the campsite are unbelievable, and totally different to anywhere else we have stayed. The fridge and freezer, the gratis ice blocks whilst yours are chilling, the aloe vera (for sunburn) the cloths and washing up liquid in case you'd forgotten your own (to mention just a few!)......its these little things that add up to a lot...ie Debs & Neil have catered for everyone and the "home comforts" they provide go a long way....

Charlestown: make sure you visit the Shipwreck and Heritage Museum....looks small from the outside but it is deceiving (!) and contains some fascinating information & artefacts about the town and wrecks of by gone years!
Costal walks: again stunning, the views are amazing....and ask Debs or Neil for the best places to go too!!
Eating: Amazing portions where ever you ate in the village & decent prices too. Also check out the local bakers and butchers (ignore the supermarkets, absolutely no comparison), at the butchers you can get eggs, salad, milk, pasties (so yummy too!!) amongst a host of other things, and such good quality of meats too, the bakers (on the same parade of shops) not only have the most delicious bread & rolls, but also make up filled rolls, which are just amazing value. Think LOCAL and you wont go wrong!!!!

of an evening, stroll down to the harbour, and watch the world go by...you can't get much better than this.....BRILLIANT!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My Wife and I stayed here for 1 week at the beginning of July 2014. I originally found information on the site in the Guardian top 10 UK campsites. As soon as you arrive here you will see what sets it apart.. Everything... The fantastic views of the Bay, the lovely warm welcome from Debs & Neil and the little touches that they provide that makes the whole stay seem special. If you are looking for a site that is peaceful, beautiful, spotlessly clean and has some of the best views in the country....book early...it's unrivalled and superb in all aspects. Just a short walk to the harbour which has restaurants, Pubs, Teashops and the likes but remains pretty much unspoilt and doesn't seem commercialised.. just nice. We were there to walk and explore and if that's your thing then the South West coastal path can offer you; strenuous, (try Charlestown to Mevagissy, take plenty of water) moderate (Charlestown to Fowey is long but well worth the walk) and many other easy walk that will delight in terms of spectacular view and quaint little Bay's to have a rest, have a drink and a meal if needed (Polkerris is gorgeous). After a day exploring, sunbathing or doing whatever, what better place to return to than the Tent and Broad Meadow House... Brilliant. Many thanks for showing us what camping can be at it's best.

Room Tip: If you want to travel light....go for the on site Karsten Tents, they're perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were on a cycle tour of Devon and Cornwall. We were staying in a mix of B&B's and campsites and found Broad Meadows through the Cool Camping Tiny Campsites book. I can concur will all the other positive comments here. It is rare to find such a campsite that offers space, tranquility as well as lovely home touches. Neil & Debs made us feel so welcome. Even breakfast delivered to the tent was available which was delicious (caffetierre, fresh croissants...).We really hope to visit again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

After researching camp site on the cool camping website, we came across Broad Meadow. We instantly had a really good feeling about it so decided to book.
Upon arrival on a Sunny Thursday evening, we 'checked in'. Our pitch overlooked the most stunning views of the Cornish coast.
Camping is limited to 5 pitches (6 with the permanent tent), which means the site is quiet, peaceful and very chilled out, just what we were after for our 3 night break. The facilities on site are wonderful and very clean. The little touches make this place very special. Hot water bottles if you are cold at night, aloe vera for the sunburn (we needed it), a small fridge and freezer, even ice packs to borrow whilst yours are freezing again.
The pot wash area has washing up liquid, cloths and anything you could possibly need should you have left anything at home. Washing the dishes is certainly not a chore at Broad Meadow when you take the view into account.
Broad Meadow is a stones throw for the harbour where you will find a few places to eat and drink. We had a bite to eat at the harbourside inn, very generous portion sizes.
The owners, Debs and Neil are wonderful. Debs made us feel instantly welcome, on hand with lots of advice/recommendations on places to go, local walks, etc. Be warned, if you do the coastal walk, be prepared for very achy legs for days to come...i think I have only just recovered a week on.
After our 3 days, we felt as though we had known Debs for years. Such a lovely lady. We will most certainly be back for Summer 2015. Perhaps for Wimbledon and the Pimms :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My friend and I generally had a great stay at Broad Meadow campsite.

En route, directions were text to both my friends' and my own phone, in case our SatNav gave up on us in the middle of nowhere. On arrival, a sealed welcome pack was left in a cute little metal storage box outside Broad Meadow's front door; it included a welcome letter, detailed our pitch number, how we should set up, where to park the car, and a breakfast menu. We drove up to the top of the field and unloaded the car - luckily it wasn't raining at this point, as you aren't allowed to leave your car by your tent, you have to park it in allocated spaces outside the house at the bottom of the field. This was a slight annoyance, as I've never been anywhere before where this was the case. It meant we had to take everything out the car to save us going backwards and forwards constantly, which meant that the tent was cluttered.

On attempting to erect the tent, we were greeted by the owner of the site - Debs, who could not be more hospitable and accommodating if she tried. We had a chat about our journey and she then brought us free tea and coffee (I desperately needed caffeine after our 6 hour drive!), which was an unexpected but delightful bonus. Once we'd managed to set up camp, we couldn't be bothered to cook and decided to go for a walk into the little harbour town of Charlestown (though it was more like a hamlet). We knocked on the front door of Broad Meadow house to ask Debs about local eateries and she was a font of knowledge, reeling off every place to dine within a mile radius I think. We decided on the Boathouse which was a few minute's walk away, after perusing the menus and prices of all the other places - this was the cheapest and best for veggie options. The food was delicious and service was quick and pleasant enough.

Throughout the duration of our stay, we had minimal worries, but the English must always grumble about something, so here goes... The facilities were lacking somewhat. As many reviewers have outlined before, there is only one toilet and one shower. I believe they are in the process of adding another toilet, however, for our stay, there was one between about eight campers. I can't imagine what it would be like if all twelve pitches were occupied. I think every time I was using the toilet, somebody tried to come it. I am very easily startled, and it wasn't pleasant trying to go to the toilet thinking that someone was going to try and get in at any minute. Perhaps add a vacant/occupied sign to the door? Also, I can't say that going to the toilet was a very private experience, as there was a builder working about two metres outside the door. It was also awkward sharing one shower room - though it was an excellent Mira shower - having to wait for people and feeling awkward when they came out, apologising for being in there whilst I was waiting! Oh, the English. Anyway, this was the most expensive campsite I've stayed at so far, and it has been the only one with only one toilet and shower. A bit of a disappointment. I do not envy those visiting in the peak of summer who possibly face a very long wait for a pee and shower.

Other facilities included a pot wash area, in which there was hot water for washing up, spare washing up liquid, a bowl, and a sponge. It was in this area that the electric charging point was situated (about four sockets), and a mini fridge and freezer. It wasn't one of those tiny little fridges, which you can barely fit a few cans in, rather, it was a medium-sized one with a couple of shelves, so plenty of room for milk and butter etc. And the freezer is of a similar size, with plenty of ice packs to borrow. One morning we awoke to gale-force winds and it was chucking it down, so we had no chance of lighting the stove for our kettle. Subsequently, we were so desperate for a cup of tea, that my friend text Debs and asked if we could have some hot water! Of course, she obliged willingly. She left a large flask for us by the pot wash, and also offered to continually refill it throughout our stay. This was surprising hospitality.

On our last morning, we enjoyed one of the breakfast baskets (prices starting at £8.50). My breakfast bap contained Cornish brie, mushroom, egg, and tomato, and was really delicious. My friend had the meat option with the usual bacon and egg. Also included in the £8.50 was a hot drink of your choice, fruit juice, sachets of sauce, and a piece of fruit. It was well worth the money, however, I wouldn't recommend it every day for those on a budget, as you would rack up quite a bill.

The campsite is situated within walking distance of a Tesco and Asda, and my friend and I also walked to the Eden project. It took about two hours to get there, as we managed to get ourselves a little lost, however, it only took one hour to get back. It is manageable, although our legs were aching for quite a while afterwards. We also drove to the Lost gardens of Heligan, which wasn't too far away, though I thought it was slightly overpriced for what it was. It was a bit of a maze to be honest, with no clear structure and ample opportunity to get lost. There were some beautiful flowers there though, and interesting sculptures.

The view from our pitch was quite stunning, and on times, we found ourselves just sitting back and staring out at the sea, feeling relaxed and content, and then usually falling asleep with the warm sun shining down. The field does boast a beautiful view, though I had envisaged some wildflowers and a bit of colour as it was called 'Broad Meadow', however, this is the name of the owner's house. My bad.

So, overall, a pretty nice campsite with intricate and neat little signage for campers, amazingly friendly owners, and a breath-taking view; the only downside was the single toilet and shower. I do recommend the site, though if there are a lot of campers, you might waste time queuing for the amenities. This is something you don't want to be doing with your precious holiday time. But, I would like to thank Debs and Neil for their hearty welcome and genuine friendliness for the entirety of our stay. It's refreshing to meet people who really seem to enjoy their job, are happy to share their local knowledge, and would do anything in order to ensure you had a fantastic stay. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This campsite has great views over the sea and is in a very peaceful area. The owners were more than happy to provide information on the local area to help us plan our holiday. The only downside we found was that there was only one toilet and one shower to share between the whole campsite. This often meant waiting a while to use the facilities. For the price of £14 per person per night, we would have expected more than one toilet and one shower. On the plus side, the toilet and shower was spotlessly clean.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Catjones21
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We spent a lot of time researching the perfect campsite before settling on Broad Meadow and having read other reviews we had high expectations. We definitely weren't disappointed!

The campsite is tiny - there are only 5 pitches including the 'VIP' tent - and as a result it is really peaceful, calm and relaxed. Despite its size, the pitches are big enough that there is plenty of privacy and it doesn't feel claustrophobic at all. The bathroom facilities are equally small - just one toilet and one shower (separate) but like several other reviews have mentioned, we rarely had to queue. The bathroom, shower and utility area are all nicely decorated and absolutely spotless at all times, which definitely adds to the 'posh camping' vibe! The utility area has just about everything you can think of that you might have forgotten which you can borrow (ice packs, hot water bottles, pens, washing up liquid etc...) and there is also a mini fridge and freezer to use, which was great.

Debs is a fantastic host, so welcoming and accommodating and we really got the impression that she couldn't do enough for us. She is on hand to offer advice on everything from walks to days out and even lent me a beanie hat to wear when I mentioned I had been cold the night before!

We ordered a breakfast basket every morning and they are well worth it for campers like us who can't be bothered to bring lots of food and cooking equipment! There are 3 menu options and we tried them all throughout our stay and they were all brilliant - really filling and lots of variety.

Broad Meadow is a little more expensive than some of the other campsites we looked at, especially when you take into account the breakfasts, but this is because it's designed to be 'posh camping', and the extra details and fantastic host make it well worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple