“Clean but basic”

The White Pyramid Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Austell
The White Pyramid Inn
Ranked #47 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Clean but basic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

My mother and I stayed one night as we were down there for a funeral and needed to be near our friend. We arrived before opening time but were greeted with a welcome and service straight away. We didn't dine there, but breakfast, full english, was a large portion, very tasty and cooked appropriately. The bedrooms are large with en-suite bathrooms which are dated in style but all was spotlessly clean. I have stayed in places far less welcoming or clean. For a short stay it was fine overall.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I cannot comment of the white pyramid for accommodation but i can for the evening meals. Firstly if you get there before 18.30 you are entitiled to an early bird which is buy one meal get another free on selected meals.
Be warned the food is terrable it really is. I ordered a curry and my wife had a lasagna and chips. How easy could it be.... The curry straight out of a Jar, no flavour what-so-ever and my wifes Lasagna not bad but the chips, cooked and then re-heated. his is not the first time we have been here either. We had a previous experience but it was excatly the same, we thought we would try again ut i have to say this is the last time.
We were also seated in the dining room where the table cloth was discusting covered in food staines.
Never again. How can any pub/resturant cook basic food so wrong.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very friendly staff and a large clean room, would stay again, but i think the 2 for 1 meal deal should be on untill 9pm for residents and not stop at 6.30pm.
Food was very nice but it was let down by the greasy limp chips.

• Stayed August 2012
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have eaten here quite a few times,< happy customers come back > I have tried the meal deal for over 55, as well as the 2 4 £12 offer.Both times impressive value.

The chief knows his/her stuff,The white bait is fantastic,cooked to perfection,Try his pie,well just like MAMA used to make,fantastic pastry,soooooooooooooo much meat,and fresh veg too,< the veggies change at each visit, always fantastic> Think chief must of dug the new potatoes that morning,certain they were Cornish,< well they tasted it >

Each cheese cake is differant,< fantastic > to match the type of fruit that is used,lighter if strawberry, and YES this chief knows that warm fruit has more taste and flavour,< never freezing cold from fridge.> A fantastic great chief.

NO CHEAP COFFEE HERE,a great full bodied quality coffee.Not forgetting the staff,friendly,helpfull.

The access can be a bit tricky, I witnessed some time ago the efforts of the staff to assist a wheel chair customer,Yes the wooden ramp was far too heavy to place by staff,yes getting it into position was tricky for the staff,but boy they were not going to be defeated,If anything a new lighter ramp may of helped the staff..What I saw, was a embarressed staff member,trying his utmost to ,position the ramp,and maintain the dignity of the user.
Having eaten out in Cornwall many times,I always come back,Other places have remained memorable for the awfull food and service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Have been to this place many times and each time the food is excellent, service very good and friendly. Value for money is fantastic. We are going to Cornwall again next year so we will be going back to The White Pyramid.

Room Tip: If you are hungry try the place you won't be when you have finished your meal. Enjoy .
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

Went 3 evenings for the 'early bird' meals (5:30-6:30) buy one get the cheapest free.
The meals were hot, ample size & the service friendly & quick.
Next time we holiday in Cornwall we will definitely go there again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We went to the White Pyramid for a meal it was a birthday treat birthday for my disabled mum. The first problem I encountered was access. There are two wooden ramps that have to be positioned over some steps but when put there I found it was actually too steep to push the wheel chair up over. We managed by lifting her the last few steps into the bar area. Despite staff wandering about not one offered any assistance.

I went to the bar and ordered some drinks, the staff serving at the bar were polite . However, despite telling them about my reservation I did not get offered a menu for about 30 minutes until I asked for one.

It was some 20 minutes after the table booking time that I asked if the table was ready only to be told it was ready 20 minutes ago so why were we not told but had to ask?

The food when it arrived some 40 minutes after ordering can best be described as slightly below average.

During our meal we noticed several children being boisterous and running around, this became louder and louder with children eventually running around the dining room like it was a play ground, children running under around and knocking into tables and other diners. It was total mayhem it had to be seen to be believed the staff did nothing about it!

It would have taken the staff little effort at all to have offered to move us to a quieter location. when I mentioned the mayhem (by now it was 9.15pm) I was surprised by the total indifference shown they did not seem to care less.

The main courses were of poor quality.

We got up and left of our own accord, and went into the bar area. I mentioned to a staff member who had taken my booking that it would have been polite to have warned us about the party - or placed us in a quieter area. The reply was "it's a pub restrauant you have to expect kids!"

But there was more to come!

After we moved into the bar area which was empty we were assailed by a terrible odour it had started to rain heavily outside and I can only imagine the drains had blocked up or something.

Overall it was a very disappointing evening with a lot of noise very poor service mediocre food and staff that did not seem to give a damn.

I wont be going there again... EVER

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family