“'Too busy to serve'!”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We were a party of 4, booked into Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate for their advertised 'Garden Weekend'.
Disappointments were dished out in bucket full even before we arrived.
1) We were charged more than was advertised as we were informed by the booking clerk at the hotel that all standard rooms were booked out, thus we were given the bigger room at extra cost to us.
2) We travelled and booked as a party of 2 couples, but were given rooms on different floors and different section of the hotel.
3) Our rooms were stuffy even when we turned off the heater in the room. We had to keep our balcony doors open all night to get any sleep. My husband and I were on the first floor, so I was extra anxious of security risk during the night, hence slept badly.
4) The lighting in the rooms were extremely poor. Despite turning on all available lights in the rooms, we could not see to read our newspaper or information leaflets or room service menu. My girl friend and I could not see to put our make up on!
5) As with all hotels, the option of clean towels were given. We chose to have clean towels but no clean towels were replaced. Instead, we suspected that our wet used towels were simply folded up and hung back on the towel rail.
6)The hotel advertised fine dinning in their dinning room but this was not available to us as the hotel was also having a 'Gourmet' weekend, on the same weekend as our 'Garden' weekend. We were told we could eat at the bar with the same menu but charged at the normal rate of fine dinning! We declined.
7) The spa advertised 'booking appointment to suit you'. I booked in for a facial but was kept waiting in a lonely passage for 20 minutes. I was informed by reception that all therapists were busy. So, question asked, why gave me an appointment if they were all too busy? No response was given of course. Oh, I had to authorised payment before my treatment too. I did ensure that I was not charged when checking out.
8) You may asked, did we not raised these concerns whilst there? Well yes, but the response, ' we are very busy'.

We did tell the hotel that we were be going back again. Not that they care as 'they were too busy'.

1  Thank M S
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry that we have clearly failed to exceed your expectations on this occasion. Whilst the was fully occupied on the weekend you, and your friends, stayed with us; that should have not been a issue.

Having started at the beginning of November I can assure you that I will be investigating your feedback in order to prevent a repeat of your experiences.

Perhaps you could contact me directly, so we may have an opportunity to start to restore your faith in the hotel and the level of customer service we are able to give.

Kind regards,

James Hemming

Write a ReviewReviews (2,134)

Reviewed 26 November 2011

This hotel was booked for six adults and three small children as a mothers day treat which also happened to be my daughters birthday. Before booking we visited the hotel to check that they welcomed children and that high chairs would be available and were assured they would.
On arrival we were not greeted and welcomed at all, by a rather sullen receptionist. We found our way to the bar and ordered drinks, at this point we then had to find a waiter to say we had arrived. What followed for the rest of our day was one disaster after another. The service was appauling, the food average, and there were no high chairs. Families (it was mothers day after all) were not all seated in one side of the resturant so we were given the "evil" eye by other diners who clearly objected to three little boys all under two. Yes they were fracious as the wait for food and lack of high chairs was a big factor. There were no flowers on the table as requested when we booked and when I paid the chap behind the bar did not have a clue what he was charging. We were quoted a price when we booked which went up on the day.
The staff in the Spar could hardly manage a greeting let alone a smile. We were made to feel like second class citizens and once again residents staying in the hotel were clearly put out that the public had use of the spar.
My daughter made a complaint the following week and phone calls were not responded to well. I also wrote a letter of complaint and we were given a refund of the extra we paid and an offer of money off when we booked again. That will be the day! over priced, very poor service, arrogant staff and a complete disregard of a customers reqirements. I am a local and frankly never want to set foot in the place again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank secretkim

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment back in March. Whilst I am pleased to report that many of the failings you experienced have been rectified since your visit 9 months ago, I fear that will be of little comfort to you.

My apppointment (a few weeks ago) was made specifically to improve the level of customer service and instill a sense of excellence through the entire hotel. That, I'm afraid to say will not happen overnight, but improvements have been made to improve the consistancy in positive service and the management team and staff are very much onboard with the improvements.

I would ask that you contact me directly so we can attempt to restore your faith in the hotel, dispite the content of your email.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Me and my husband went to stay at the Cornwall for our first anniversary. The hotel was beautiful. The staff were very friendly.
Thankfully the weather on the weekend we were staying at the Cornwall was fantastic, we spent most of the afternoon sitting outside on the Park Terrace sipping wine and Gin and Tonic's. The spa was lovely and clean, the only let down was the pool was rather cold and so was the whirl pool, we didn't stay in for long. However that was only a minor problem.
We stayed in one the deluxe rooms, i think it was the Jaquetta (or something like that) and it was fabulous!
The views around the hotel are amazing and I recommend walking around the estate.
Unfortunately we were unable to dine in their Arboretum restaurant as it was fully booked and unfortunately the other restaurant food wasn't really us, but that didn't matter.
Overall we had a lovely time at the hotel and will definitely be returning.
Thanks for a lovely time.
R & A

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your positive comments and will be sure to include them in our staff monthly updates.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Such a lovely place. I have stayed in the wooodland rooms of the hotel with my partner in sept 11 (bed & breakfast £118 prpn) and now in the woodland homes with my family nov 11 (self catering) ( less than £14 per night per person) and have had a truly lovely time on both occasions. The accommodation is of a very high standard and stylish, and in the older parts of the manor it has been renovated with respect for its past.The spa is wonderful. Even at peak times, it is spacious and relaxing. I have mostly had it to myself on my visits tho and leaves me with the wonderful memory of sitting on the beds in my robe with my book, looking over the victorian walled garden with my worries far far away. The staff are very very friendly and professional and always willing to help you and go the extra mile. The food is truly fabulous. We had a birthday meal for 7 in The Arboretum, where you can take the 3 course daily specials for £25 ( and you can pay course supplements to upgrade to the A La carte) or the A La Carte for 1 course £19, 2 course £27 or 3 course £35. Every single one of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal and with 2 bottles of wine and some children drinks, and 1 or 2 coffees/ brandies we paid £220 for 7. I don;t think we could have had a better quality, better value meal anywhere else. It was fabulous. I have never been out with a group of 7 and every single person enjoying every single aspect of their meal. This is obviously THE place to go. A little peace of heaven in Cornwall. Thank you The Cornwall. We can't wait to come back soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read of your groups' wonderful stay. Your feedback has been shared amongst the staff and management team and will be used to build upon.

Thank you, once again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Being local to this hotel and spa, seeing the advertising for the new chef and two rosettes we decided to book a family /friends Sunday Lunch for a special occasion.
We were rushed from the reception to the table without being able to have our pre-dinner drinks in the lounge although we had arrived in good time. The service was friendly but slow. The hot starter arrived some 5 minutes before the cold but they were 'okay' not special. The main course was just terrible - over cooked, cold, delivered spasmodically over about 10 minutes. We complained and after some confusion all the main courses were taken away to be replaced some 45-50 minutes later by a better cooked meat, a few cold roast potatoes and some 5 minutes after this a very milky cauliflower cheese and some horseradish sauce. Not worthy of any stars or rosettes! Only a few of our party perservered to have a third course - this time it was something unworthy of Brake Bros. The manager was "not available" and when we insisted on seeing someone the chef finally appeared to say the manager " is in a lodge" - no further explanation of why the food was so appalling.
In all a great disappointment and an embarrassment for our guests.

5  Thank kermit1Cornwall

Thank you for your review.

I am genuinely sorry for your disappointment. Our head chef was duty manager on the day you were in, as well as overseeing the department which caused your complaint. As such he was the most suitable person to discuss your concerns.

As you will be aware all charges for your lunch were waived including a very large drinks bill. Considering the starters were "ok", the meat was replaced with 28 day aged steaks, there were no issues raised with service on the day, and there were also no issue with the drinks element of the lunch; this was considered a more than appropriate course of action. Naturally, not having an opportunity to make amends for your poor visit by being able to welcome you back is ultimately regrettable.

Your comments from the day, as well as your review, will be taken on board accordingly.

Once again, most sincere apologies.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2011

5 friends all stayed in the 3 bedroom (sleep 6) woodland lodge. Had a wonderful stay, very good value for money (stayed early november). Unfortunately left swimsuit behind & charged £5 admin fee on top of postage for sending back which was dissapointing. Otherwise great place, had use of spa facilities, very good location & ate dinner in the brasserie (tasty).

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We opted for a gardens package - two nights b and b plus entry to the Eden project and another local garden. The package was good value. Our room was spacious and luxurious, bed huuuuge! The spa was at the end of the corridor, pool area very nice, quiet even though the hotel was quite busy. Very nice buffet breakfast first day and waitress service the second. Staff very pleasant and service good. We had dinner in the restaurant one evening, food good but restaurant wasn't very intimate, and the wine we chose was £7.50 a glass which I thought was a bit steep. Hotel perfectly placed for touring Cornwall, Charlestown with tall ships and shipwreck museum only 2 miles away down back roads.

Room Tip: Ask for room close to spa