“A lovely place with staff who care (mostly)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A lovely place with staff who care (mostly)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

This was a hotel I really didn’t think I’d like due to something that happened early on that was a little Basil Fawlty. My girlfriend was booking on line and while she did so I rang the hotel to check what was going on for new year. I was told by a gentleman who shall remain unnamed that they did have a NYE function, but we were “not invited”. I actually thought I’d misheard, but he was kind enough to say it again which set me straight and we ended the call. After a few moments spent with my mouth slightly open in shock I thought “what am I going to do? It’s NYE and we’ve just paid for a hotel which we can’t spend NYE in..?” I called back and spoke to a lady in reservations (who shall also remain unnamed) and she with perfunctory courtesy confirmed we were “not invited”, but eventually emailed us a list of local restaurants we could eat in - that is if they had reservations or were nearby enough. I won’t get into what followed too much but we ended up eating in a Frankie and Benny’s and a port of last resort.

Anyway, I’m guessing if you’ve read this far you’re wondering why I’ve still given this hotel 4 stars – well because that aside from all this The Cornwall Hotel and Spa is lovely. Thankfully on arrival we were looked after not by the man who shall remain unnamed, but a nice man called Paul who continued to have a smile on his face for our entire stay. The room was open plan and spacious, but the TV didn’t work – however, the manager hand signed a letter of apology to each affected guest, a nice touch I thought. In the restaurant I was delivered (after 50 mins) a main meal the size of a starter, but they immediately saw the error and really couldn’t do enough to rectify the problem quickly. The waitress and lady restaurant manager were great, it’s tough to be upset with people who seem to genuinely care. The food was lovely by the way – breakfast was excellent. The spa was just quiet enough and very nice, as were the staff there. I guess that although as you can see there were bumps in the road even after getting there I was charmed by the place and its beautifully restored rooms, local artworks adorning the walls, contemporary/classic fusion of architecture and velvet (I like velvet), but more so by the staff who made it easy to forgive what in another establishment may have been a problem to me. Although myself and girlfriend were ultimately “not invited” that’s not how they made us feel when we got there.

Thanks to all the staff for a very nice short break - we’d definitely return again (if we’re invited).

JGA

Room Tip: We were put in the farthest room from reception, nearer would have been better.
1 Thank John G
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

Whilst I am delighted (and relieved) we were able to regain your faith in our ability to ensure your stay is an enjoyable one, I was naturally quite surprised to hear your comments regarding the terminology used with regards to New Year’s Eve dinner.

Our New Year’s Eve dinner proved a great success and demand was high. As such we became fully booked for our dinner package and were unable to offer our dinner inclusive break as had previously been available. As a result we were only able to offer a Bed and Breakfast rate through our online partners. We are mindful that we could have been a little clearer on the availability of dinner, however I was assured that we had contacted all guests by email and telephone to advise of the current situation. I am at a loss as to why you were told you were not "invited", this is clearly not acceptable, as nobody was "invited" we just had many people with reservations, and with dinner included. I will ensure that we fully investigate your comments to prevent a repeat of your experiences. I appreciate your desire to not name the staff involved, but would be grateful if you were to advise me directly of their names. We pride ourselves on exceeding guest expectations and appreciate feedback directly, or via TripAdvisor, when this aim is in jeopardy.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back... you are most definitely invited!

Kindest regards,

James Hemming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

We booked the New Years eve meal and dancing some weeks ago and read the reviews after booking. I was a little concerned about some of the comments referring to slow or non-existent service at the restaurant. Last nights event was brilliant. The food was fantastic, the service was attentive without hovering ( I hate that) and the music and dancing after the meal was great fun. My husband and I had not been to the restaurant before but had heard some good reports about the food, how right they were! I would not hesitate to eat there again, I would not stay at the hotel however as I live about a mile away from it. It almost makes me wish I didnt so I could stay as well. I think I will use the Spa now though.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie_Whymer
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

I was thrilled to read your review. It is great to know that the team's efforts to give you a memorable evening paid off.

I was particularly interested to see you comments regarding our food and the previous reports you had heard. I will be sure to pass these on to the entire Food and Beverage team. Interestingly we have a tripadvisor listing for the Arboretum Restaurant you may wish to post a review on there too.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the restaurant, or indeed the Spa. We have a number of day packages available. We also offer a loyalty card for 'locals' with a permanent address in Cornwall, which is free to join and offer discounts on many areas of the hotel and spa; please feel free to contact the spa for more details.

Kindest regards,

Southwest England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

The Cornwall is a new venture--it only opened in 2010. My husband and I stayed in one of the two bedroom Woodland homes with our two dogs, for a quiet Christmas break. Because my husband is an architect, we'd heard about that the construction of the homes and we knew the quality was of the very best, but at the same time, it sounded from some reviews like the establishment was still experiencing teething troubles. Therefore, we weren't sure what to expect.

We couldn't have been more pleased. The home was spotless, beautifully designed and thoughtfully laid out. Everything worked--except I never figured out how to use the oven--and when we needed information about anything, the staff at reception were only too happy to help. My only complaint was that sometimes, it took a while for the receptionist to answer. However, when he or she did, we always found out exactly what we needed to know.

The dogs were made welcome, there's a sensible entrance area for cleaning/drying them off, and there were lots of areas where they were welcomed and enjoyed walking.

The location is great for things to do. We walked around Megavissey and visited The Lost Gardens of Heligan--both within 6 miles, I think--but we hardly scratched the surface. There's the Eden Project, Charlestown, plenty of footpaths, and nice beaches--and that's just for starters.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant because it was such a pleasure to cook in that beautiful kitchen, but we did order pizzas one night. They were nicely presented but not exceptional--in contrast to what we heard about the food in the restaurant, which is reputed to be quite wonderful.

I used the spa several times, mainly the pool but I also had a look around the gym. Everything is, once again, of top quality, beautifully maintained and spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly but not 'in your face'. I prefer length swimming, so my one criticism is that the pool is a bit too warm--but it's great if you want simply to lounge and relax.

The other thing that struck us was how genial and relaxed everyone seemed to be--staff and all the guests we saw as well. The place seems to engender a good mood!

We'll definitely go back, and I have no hesitation recommending the cottages strongly, for couples like us, and also for families or for someone who wants some time on their own.

Room Tip: All the cottages seemed lovely, and each has its own particular aspect, so I couldn't say one is...
Thank you for your review.

I am very grateful for your feedback, and to have been able to welcome you to the hotel.

It is a shame you missed out on dining in The Arboretum Restaurant, you are quite right the food is wonderful!

I will share your feedback with our management team - our aim is that we exceed all your expectations - as such we have a little way to go and will be working hard at wowwing you next time!

We look forward to welcoming you both (and your dogs) back to the hotel in due course.

Best wishes and kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Stayed at the Cornwall hotel and spa estate for one night as a birthday treat from my boyfriend. Lovely room, very clean with a nice balcony over looking the beautiful grounds. First time staying in a hotel where by the bed being quite comfy, usually like a brick but i actually slept well - considering i sell very high quality mattresses for a living this is something i always look for! Took full advantage of the beautiful indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna - friendly and helpfull staff. Ate at the on site resturant - food was lovely, when asked if i could have pudding sent to my room (as i had eaten far too much but couldn't resist!) the waiter was more than pleased to help. Also had a back, neck and shoulder massage at the spa which was gorgeous.
My only complaint would be i would have loved to stay for more than one night! Will most certainly be returning in the summer.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Thank you for your review.

I was delighted that you had a very enjoyable stay. I was particularly pleased to read your comments with regard to the beds we have in all our hotel rooms, particularly coming from an industry insider - praise indeed! Our matresses are a Sleepezee Hotel Supreme 1400 (i'm lead to believe that they are one of the best you can buy, as a hotelier) and the bases are top sprung from the same manufacturer.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.

Best wishes,

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Our expectations on booking this hotel were fulfilled, despite the rather variable recent reviews.
Our room was truly excellent - quiet with a very comfortable bed. The pool area was modern,spacious and well-equipped and the view in the morning made it an ideal setting for a pre-breakfast swim.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. Dinner in the main restaurant justified our visit, despite our having chosen chef's night off. The pheasant main course could not have been better. A good breakfast menu was just what we needed after our swim, although the dreadful Christmas "musack" did not match the surroundings.
Compared to other quality hotels in Cornwall the offering and facilities are good value and we will return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your email.

I was delighted to have read that your expectations were met, and that you had an enjoyable stay.

Regarding music; it is very difficult to find the right mix, especially with a media that is so subjective. We run our music system from a company called Sonos, an online, cutting edge technological system which gives us access to thousands upon thousands of tracks, as well as radio stations. Our music of choice through the festive season is a radio station dedicated to Christmas music. From time to time tracks are presented that are not correct for the mood we try to convey at that particular moment. Our team are briefed to skip these tracks where necessary, although that clearly doesnt happen in all cases. I would agree that there is only a certain amount of Slade anyone can listen to.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes,

Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

my boyfriend and were booked in for Sunday lunch and took advantage of using the spa beforehand. it was fabulous! not too busy, staff we soooo helpful and it was very relaxing.

lunch was amazing, the food was the best i have had in a long time, everything was cooked to perfection and presented immaculately. the prices were surprisingly cheap. especially a pint of ale for £3.50!

service was perfect and as long as the prices don't attract the riff-raff we will be back!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thanks you for your review.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time. We have worked hard to ensure previous reviews (and other feedback) is taken on board, and I'm pleased that the team's hard work is paying off.

Many thanks, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes of the festive season.

Regards,

James
Buckingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We took members of the family who live locally to the restaurant based on the reputation of the chef. The food was perfectly good although some it was borderline on being hot enough but the front of house was woeful. If you want to charge £50 a head for two courses then you place your establishment in a space where expectations of the quality of service are very high and the The Cornwall just does not deliver. Requests for something to accompany our pre-dinner drinks had to be made three times before it arrived. The waiting staff professed to have never heard of kir which at this level is surprising. The expresso was served in a cold cup so was only just warm enough by the time it reached the table. There are other restaurants nearby you should consider before going here if you are looking for value of money. If you want a smart restaurant which was very quiet on a Sunday night then you might want to overlook these issues.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sybil_Fawlty
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 10 December 2011
Thank you for your review.

Had you not mentioned us by name I would have thought you were talking about another hotel, particularly due to the stated cost of a 2-course meal - our TDH menu is £25 for 3 courses and our most expensive main course is only £19.95.

With regards to the service within our Food and Beverage department I can assure you that we are working very hard to rectify the issues you raise as well as the general quality of customer service. I was appointed General Manager at the beginning of November to rectify these service issues, and instill a sense of excellence throughout the hotel; the standard which you would expect from one of Cornwall's premier hotels. The foundations are being built and service is improving by the day.

I am very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

Kind regards,

St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!