“Xmas Stay”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
“Xmas Stay”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We took a two bedroom lodge over Xmas for 4 days and found them to be very good but the sofa's in the lounge are very hard.
We used the Hotel restaurant on Xmas day and breakfast and the food was first class along with the service.

• Stayed December 2011
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to say that the sale of our woodland homes have been particularly strong over the last few weeks, as such we are considering phase two of the home programme and will use your feedback proactivley when considering the furnishing of these homes.

However, I was delighted to learn that you had a superb time and that the food and beverage team looked after you so well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cornwall in the, not too distant, future.

James Hemming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
London
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Cornwall Hotel and Spa just after the new year, for five nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate. We had a fantasic room in the main house which was well maintained and quiet. The leisure facilities are first class and again very well maintained. All meals were of a high standard and the dinner menu was sufficiently varied, bearing in mind dinner was included in our rate. The staff were very accomodating and friendly without being too over bearing. Finally, the location of the hotel is well placed with many tourist sights and villages close by. We would not hesitate to stay at the Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate again.

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your comments and to have learnt that your stay was a resounding success, from both our views. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the staff to ensure they receive the praise they deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Cornwall in the near future.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Visited on 7-1-12 for the weekend. On arrival our room was not ready so we had a drink in the bar/ lounge area. This was a fairly formal place despite the big comfy sofas and open fire, i guess it was just more traditional for a place in the country. It was very quiet and not a place we felt we could have dinner in or have a laugh/joke in.
Our room was superb. Very modern, big comfy bed, patio doors with a large balcony and great view of the countryside. Tea /coffee facilities were stocked well and we had a mini fridge. Big plasma tv on the wall was good. Bathroom was spotless with a drench shower, big bath, heated towel rails and very modern basin. Gowns were provided in the room also.

Their was a good choice for breakfast, and cooked breakfast was served. The food was excellent and portions generous. The staff were very attentive.

The spa area was always clean and quiet. The pool is great and I would image once the doors are open in the summer the infinity pool would be lovely. Steam and sauna rooms are unisex and there is a whirlpool adjoining the pool which could get a little cold.

We did intend to workout in the gym but on checking it out decided against it. There was no atmosphere, ie tv, music, all we could here were groans, which isn't very motivating!

Myself and partner had a treatment each in the couples room. The girls were great, really professional and welcoming and made us feel totally at ease. I had body refiner which i would highly recommend and my partner a deep muscle massage which he also enjoyed.

We walked into the town of St Austell but were a little disappointed in that it appears to be purely an industrial town. You would need to travel a little way for more picturesque places. However, we were only there for the weekend so this was not really an issue for us.

Great hotel, great rooms, quiet location, it was what we were looking for from the weekend.

2 Thank Lis24
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the vast majority of your stay. I will be discussing your feedback with my management team to ensure we fine-tune the hotel and its services. We are aiming to become the best hotel in Cornwall, and place a big focus on feedback, both positive and negative.

Music in the gym is always a tricky subject. We have guests and members who have expressed a wish to not have music out loud. We have ensured we offer the best quality AV option through technogym which allows the user access to music and TV. We also need to be mindful of our treatment rooms which are above the gym.

I must admit I was a little disappointed to hear your comment about the hotel having a formal feel. Whilst the decor is luxurious the stripped wooden floors and velvet furniture, including the large sofas you mention, and the open-fire were designed to give a less formal feel. I would like to think that you would be as comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt as a business suit. However judging by your comments were are a little way away from this. I would be delighted to hear any thoughs you, or any other tripadvisor users, may have to help.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This was our second time here for a one night break. Excellent service throughout, awesome food and great Spa facilities. Stayed in the Junior Suite, hard to imagine it could be any better!

Thank you for your review.

The staff and I are grateful for your kind words - it is fantastic that we were able to exceed your expectations for a second time.

We look forward to the challenge you have laid down relating to your next visit, and look forward to welcoming you back!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

"Mature" couple. West Midlands

Our room was superb, even down to the smallest of details, for example, availability of fresh milk for the generous supply of coffee and tea. The very comfy bed, quiet location and view from our balcony contributed to the enjoyment of our stay. The renovations and decorations to the existing Victorian White House have retained the charm and character of the property. All the staff were helpful and made us feel very welcome. Whilst we were there we went to Charlestown and Porthpean - both worth a visit even in December!

Thanks to Brett and the team for an excellent Christmas lunch.

A great experience for our first Christmas away in 41 years.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RogerH31
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that we have been able to give you some great memories for your first Christmas away from home for 41 years.

I am also glad that you were able to visit some of the local villages, including Charlestown, which I would agree is defiently worth a visit at any time of the year. Next time you are with us I'd wholeheartedly recommend the short drive to Mevagissey.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cornwall in the near future.

Regards,

Bristol
Reviewed 4 January 2012

What a fanatstic hotel, I really can't praise it highly enough. We travelled in a group of nine people and were made to feel welcome and relaxed throughout our entire stay. The hotel is stunning to look at and decorated tastefully throughout. The food during our stay was first class, we dined on New Years Eve and New Years Day and whilst the food wasn't quick to the table, it really was faultless on arrival and complimented by superb waiting staff who were attentive (filling water and wine regularly, fresh glassware with each different bottle of wine etc) without being over bearing. The spa facilities are excellent and clean. An all round pleasure to have stayed and we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

The team and I are delighted to have read your feedback. Considering it was only our second New Years Eve, we are all delighted to see that our efforts have been appreciated.

Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This was a hotel I really didn’t think I’d like due to something that happened early on that was a little Basil Fawlty. My girlfriend was booking on line and while she did so I rang the hotel to check what was going on for new year. I was told by a gentleman who shall remain unnamed that they did have a NYE function, but we were “not invited”. I actually thought I’d misheard, but he was kind enough to say it again which set me straight and we ended the call. After a few moments spent with my mouth slightly open in shock I thought “what am I going to do? It’s NYE and we’ve just paid for a hotel which we can’t spend NYE in..?” I called back and spoke to a lady in reservations (who shall also remain unnamed) and she with perfunctory courtesy confirmed we were “not invited”, but eventually emailed us a list of local restaurants we could eat in - that is if they had reservations or were nearby enough. I won’t get into what followed too much but we ended up eating in a Frankie and Benny’s and a port of last resort.

Anyway, I’m guessing if you’ve read this far you’re wondering why I’ve still given this hotel 4 stars – well because that aside from all this The Cornwall Hotel and Spa is lovely. Thankfully on arrival we were looked after not by the man who shall remain unnamed, but a nice man called Paul who continued to have a smile on his face for our entire stay. The room was open plan and spacious, but the TV didn’t work – however, the manager hand signed a letter of apology to each affected guest, a nice touch I thought. In the restaurant I was delivered (after 50 mins) a main meal the size of a starter, but they immediately saw the error and really couldn’t do enough to rectify the problem quickly. The waitress and lady restaurant manager were great, it’s tough to be upset with people who seem to genuinely care. The food was lovely by the way – breakfast was excellent. The spa was just quiet enough and very nice, as were the staff there. I guess that although as you can see there were bumps in the road even after getting there I was charmed by the place and its beautifully restored rooms, local artworks adorning the walls, contemporary/classic fusion of architecture and velvet (I like velvet), but more so by the staff who made it easy to forgive what in another establishment may have been a problem to me. Although myself and girlfriend were ultimately “not invited” that’s not how they made us feel when we got there.

Thanks to all the staff for a very nice short break - we’d definitely return again (if we’re invited).

JGA

Room Tip: We were put in the farthest room from reception, nearer would have been better.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

Whilst I am delighted (and relieved) we were able to regain your faith in our ability to ensure your stay is an enjoyable one, I was naturally quite surprised to hear your comments regarding the terminology used with regards to New Year’s Eve dinner.

Our New Year’s Eve dinner proved a great success and demand was high. As such we became fully booked for our dinner package and were unable to offer our dinner inclusive break as had previously been available. As a result we were only able to offer a Bed and Breakfast rate through our online partners. We are mindful that we could have been a little clearer on the availability of dinner, however I was assured that we had contacted all guests by email and telephone to advise of the current situation. I am at a loss as to why you were told you were not "invited", this is clearly not acceptable, as nobody was "invited" we just had many people with reservations, and with dinner included. I will ensure that we fully investigate your comments to prevent a repeat of your experiences. I appreciate your desire to not name the staff involved, but would be grateful if you were to advise me directly of their names. We pride ourselves on exceeding guest expectations and appreciate feedback directly, or via TripAdvisor, when this aim is in jeopardy.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back... you are most definitely invited!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!