“A beautiful and relaxed place to stay”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Surrey
“A beautiful and relaxed place to stay”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

All I can say is perfect. Staff so attentive, food excellent. We stayed in one of the rooms with a balcony (deluxe) and it was the most comfortable room I have stayed in. The bed was huge and the pillows gorgeous. Breakfast was great and plenty to choose from. The spa was lovely and although only went in the pool once is was very relaxing looking over the grounds in the infinity pool. If it wasnt so far away I would make an effort to go there on a regular basis! As far as the price is concerned was worth every penny. Well done to all the staff they do a brilliant job.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a much-needed break here, staying for four nights. The staff were beyond excellent! Every one without exception was friendly, welcoming, beyond helpful, and always with a smile on their face - they make this place what it is! The hotel itself is beautifully furnished. We stayed in a superior room, and loved the balcony with views over the grounds. We also loved the unique artwork around the hotel which had clearly been carefully selected. We ate in both the Arboretum restaurant and the Terrace Bar - both were excellent, though if your budget can stretch to the Arboretum, it is well worth it! Excellent, local food which the chefs obviously put a lot of effort in to. Our only gripe was that the breakfast selection got a little boring after a couple of days - and don't expect any healthy options for breakfast either! If you're quite happy to eat a full Cornish every morning, you certainly won't be disappointed, and do make sure you order coffee with it, as the cafetiere coffee served is excellent! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I went for a facial as a Mother's Day gift. I was told I could use the facilities as part of the deal and rang up to find out what was available. They hadn't heard of me. This was typical of the day. Staff seem to have had little or no training in making guests welcome.
I chose to have a swim. The 'whirlpool' emptied into the main swimming pool so it was disappointingly tepid and at one point I even had cold jets of water swirling round my legs. The swimming pool had a nice view through big curved plate windows - which had not been washed in a very long time.
The actual facial was fine. The girl knew her job and did it efficiently.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dorothy N
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Dear Guest

Firstly, I thank you for your constructive review and in taking the time in providing us with your feedback relating to your Mothers Day gift experience, you allow us the opportunity to address your concerns experienced during your recent stay with us.

I have discussed the points you have raised with the department managers, where mostly the feedback related to and they in turn will be internally investigating the customer service details along with any increased training requirements that may be needed within their teams.

We are extremely passionate about our hospitality provided to our guests at The Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate by not only meeting our guest needs but exceeding guest expectations. Investment into the development of our teams is paramount to our future success and ultimately will encourage guest loyalty within a highly competitive market.

Thank you once again for your feedback and if you would like to discuss anything further with me on a personal note, please call my direct line.

Nigel Walker
The Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate
Tel: 01726 874052 (Direct Dial)
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Booked on a deal through Secret Escapes and stayed for 2 nights last weekend. The hotel was very busy but the warm welcome and friendliness of the staff were a credit to this establishment.

The room we stayed in was beautifully laid out and extremely comfortable. Bit warm when we walked in but easy to adjust the temperature and having a balcony was a godsend - I hate feeling cooped up in stuffy air conditioned hotels but the chance to get some fresh air directly outside your room was lovely. Not sure about the open plan bathroom but maybe that's just me - at least the toilet allowed some privacy!

We ate in the Arboretum restaurant on the first night. Our deal meant this was from the fixed menu but there were a good few choices on there although some incurred additional supplements - I think it was only a couple of quid for starters and desserts but upgrading your main was about £6. Not necessary unless you wanted to do so but something you may wish to be aware of. Food very good. We dined in the Acorns Brasserie on the Sunday - again very good. Starters substantial and made getting through the main a bit of a challenge afterwards! Worth booking ahead though - lots of people dine in so don't leave it to turning up on the off-chance on a weekend evening as you may have to wait.

One thing that I felt was slightly lacking was a defined bar area - it is more of a lounge which is nice enough but felt there was a trick missing here. Also for sad old men like me, there was no draught ale on tap - although bottles of Tribute and Doom Bar available as well as Korev lager from the St Austell brewery on tap.

Breakfast very good -well managed on Sunday morning as well when the hotel was clearly very busy. There is a very well stocked buffet option as well as the chance to order freshly cooked options such as salmon and scrambled eggs, or smoked haddock and poached eggs from the menu if you like.

My wife enjoyed a massage. I used the gym and pool areas and the steam room. Someone else has mentioned that the pool was dirty although I didn't notice this - I did note however that some hotel guests thought nothing of moving directly from sweating it out in the steam room to using the pool or jacuzzi without using the showers by the pool first. I'm guessing this doesn't help on the hygiene front although you can't blame the hotel for this! Equipment in the gym is modern although the gym area itself is not huge- no issues with getting on equipment on my visit.

Definitely a place I'd recommend - the staff worked so hard to please that you can't help but enjoy yourself. We ventured out to see some of the local attractions e.g Charlestown, Lost Gardens of Heligan, St Austell Brewery but were equally keen to enjoy the hotel itself. Can't wait to go back.

3 Thank Gav1978
gloucester uk
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have just returned from a fantastic weekend. This hotel has the wow factor as you drive up to the reception. We were early and our room was not ready but was told that we could have lunch, visit the spa or just have a drink in the lounge. Entering our room I was very pleased, the size was very good and the finish of the rooms and all guest areas were of a very high standard. The spacious balcony was a delight although due to the great british weather we were unable to use it. My only gripe within the rooms is that you have to run the water to find out which is the hot and cold tap!
If you are expecting to wear your robe to the spa, you cannot here. You will have to walk outside at the back of the hotel to get to The Clearing Spa where you will be given a complimentary towel and have access to lockers in the changing room. Our visit to the spa on what was a very wet Friday afternoon was a treat. The pool overlooking the walled garden is great although it was slightly cold and the jacuzzi also needed to be at least 5 degrees warmer. The buttons next to the spa were broken so we could not change the flow of the water. The sauna was fabulous and the steam room was great albeit a little too hot. Overall a very good spa.
The hotel staff really love their job which emulates all day, they were all very friendly, very courteous and helpful. We ate in the Arboretum Restaurant and had a amazing meal. Prices were reasonable and in line with what you would expect to pay at a 4 star hotel. We would certainly stay here again as well as recommend it to friends and family. It was a great base to explore the area. I did on check out have to tell reception that due to the extremely heavy rainfall, the drainpipe on the outside of our room had dripped continuously and it had caused some sleep disturbance.

1 Thank LadyAdz
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My friend and I went to The Cornwall for a well deserved treat. We spent a couple of hours in the Spa and sometime in the whirlpool, sauna and steam room. The infinity pool is in a lovely setting, although the pool looked as though it needed a bit of a clean, bits floating in it, but to be fair that could have come from the others that were in there at the same time as us. The changing rooms are okay not enough seating areas though. Now here is the reason I have only marked The Cornwall as average. We had a lovely relaxing time in the spa and decided to wander up to the hotel to have lunch. The lunch was ok, soup was nice but could have been warmer, my friend said that her sandwich was on the dry side, but what really let the place down was how dirty it was. The rug looked as though it hasn't had a Hoover for a month, it was covered in grit and goodness knows what else. The tables hadn't been wiped over, there were sticky marks and ring marks. The leather look footstool had, well I don't know what it was, all up the side of it. It all looked very tired and dirty to be honest, I would probably use the spa again but I definitely won't be eating there again, such a shame as it is a beautiful setting.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mavis4
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

3 friends and myself stayed at this hotel this weekend for an early celebration for my 50th Birthday. I had found the hotel on the internet, but new the setting having lived in that area previously. Have got to say we found the hotel Excellent. Setting, staff, food, comfort was top notch and have got to complement the management on their staff who were superb. Special thanks to Lisa and Freda on reception, Stephanie, who was in charge of the restaurant when we had dinner on Saturday, Emily, our waitress for that evening. I was really touched as when I arrived for dinner, not only was the table decorated for my birthday, a card was produced from the hotel and the decoration on the dessert plate which said happy 50th Birthday was much appreciated. We stayed on a two night break with spa treatments, well worth the money, well worth the traelling and will be going back ! Thank you all at the Cornwall !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!