“Wonderful time”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Surrey
“Wonderful time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate in June 2013 for our 'mini-moon'. We had a wonderful time. The hotel is located in beautiful surroundings. The food was outstanding - both in terms of quality and presentation. The staff were absolutely fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel to couples wanting to escape from the world for a short while. A lovely retreat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 'superior' room - quiet, comfortable and stylish.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
I just love the idea of a ‘mini-moon’! Thank you for your kind words of recommendation, it just pleases the team & I when we know we have delivered a great experience to our friends and guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've just returned home following a 3 night stay and all I can say is wonderful! we had a wonderful stay from start to end, our stay was just what we had hoped.

We arrived on Friday at about midday earlier than the check in time BUT it was not a problem the lovely receptionists said our room was ready. Having had a 5 hour drive it was lovely to be able to go straight to our room and not hang about waiting for the check in time.

Our room was perfect! Room 225 on the 2nd floor was a delight with fantastic views and absolute peace and quiet other than the chirping of the birds. My one and only fault is that there is no air conditioning and all though we had a mixture of rain and sunshine the room was very warm. Thankfully, we did have a fan in our room which we did make full use.

I must also say that the drive from the main gates to the hotel is beautiful, simply stunning and took us by surprise.

We had a meal in the main restaurant on our 1st evening, it was part of our package and the food was delicious. we had a few extras which we paid for but it was worth it.

The breakfast was OK BUT nothing special. My partner had the smoked haddock on our 1st morning and it was a little disappointing, very watery and no taste. I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or poached eggs which was lovely.

I must say that all the staff at The Cornwall were so lovely, very friendly and chatty. We both had massages in the clearing spa and I must give a very special 'thank you' and a mention to 'Paula'. Paula was just what I needed. I opted for the 100 minute Ritual massage and it really did the job to take away all my aches, pains and stresses of my day job. Thank You Paula. I wish I could have taken you home with me. The swimming pool is beautiful and I did use the gym facilities which were great!

Our 3 days were glorious BUT the time went far too quickly. We will definitely be coming back to The Cornwall.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
The grounds are peaceful and tranquil and when sitting on your private balcony, well let’s just say it makes the whole experience blissful. I have spoken with my Head Chef regarding breakfast as we appear to have had an issue over a week end. It is just not acceptable to be serving Smoked Haddock that is watery – sorry! Everyone wants to take Paula home; she is one of our little stars in The Clearing Spa.
Brill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Lovely well sized rooms with beautiful views, and reception staff who are always helpful even at 0100hrs! Unfortunately breakfast was very disappointing. Would have gotten better food at a local cafe and for much better value.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Firstly my sincere apologies regarding breakfast. This is certainly not what we strive to achieve on a daily basis and does not really reflect our normal offering as can be seen by other reviews. I can only imagine that the breakfast buffet ran extremely low and was not replenished in time due to high demand. Sorry that we failed on the occasion. On a more positive note I am glad that you enjoyed the well sized bedrooms and the helpful staff.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay in one of the 3 bedroom lodges (number 9). The lodge was lovely, it has 3 ground floor bedrooms, one with en-suite and a very large bathroom for the other bedrooms. The beds were all very comfortable and the rooms spacious with plenty of hanging space in the wardrobes. The upstairs has the lounge, dining room and kitchen and are again lovely and spacious with a high level of furnishing and fittings. The balcony is wonderful, offering great views of the estate and the wildlife! My dog joined us on the trip and loved the grounds where we took several lovely walks through the woods at the back and the large lawned/field areas that makeup the estate. There are lots of rabbits on the estate so off lead walking is not advised if you have a dog who loves to chase things but the walled garden was a great place for a few games of fetch in complete safety and also made entertainment for those using the pool! :-) The walk up to the woods at the back is steep but well worth it and I was lucky enough to see a fox one late afternoon.

The main hotel is also fabulous, the reception staff were friendly and welcoming, with the dog allowed into the lounge area where drinks and afternoon tea are served. We ate in both restaurants and had wonderful food in both. The staff were very friendly and provided excellent service every time we ate there. I didn't have the chance to use the spa facilities but if everything else is the benchmark then I can only think it would be excellent as well.

The estate is very well located to get to all areas of Cornwall and there are plenty of shopping options for those who truly want to self-cater. The only small complaints are no iPod dock (AirPlay compatible would be best) for music purposes in the lodges, this would be a nice extra that is now standard in many hotels, and it was virtually impossible to creep around the upstairs of the lodges and not be heard in the bedrooms but this was only a very minor issue for us as we wanted to make the most of our stay in Cornwall.

It was everything I hoped it would be from the website and more, can't wait to visit again!

Lindsey

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lindsey
It was an honour to meet you all during your stay and thank you very much for a delightful review. I almost went to book a lodge myself once I had read your comments! I think the idea of iPod docks is brilliant and we are currently reviewing this, so thank you for the great feedback. The team and I look forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards, Greg.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at the Cornwall Hotel and Spa at the end of January 2013 for 3 nights for our honeymoon. I cannot fault our stay at all. On arrival we booked our table in the fine dining restaurant on the first evening and because we had mentioned it was our honeymoon our table was decorated and all the staff congratulated us - such a nice touch.
Our room was lovely as is the whole estate and buildings. The gym and pool area were also very good we visited everyday and were thoroughly relaxed at the end of our stay.
The food in both restaurants cannot be faulted. The fine dining was a very pleasurable experience and my husband commented that the steak was the best he had ever had. The breakfasts were also of superb quality.
Hope to visit again for our anniversary.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise G
We just love newlyweds when they decided to relax after their big day and celebrate their honeymoon with us at the hotel. The staff are just great in providing those special little touches to make it even more memorable. We would LOVE to see you again for your first wedding anniversary. Congratulations once again and see you soon
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful. HOWEVER It appeared to me as though the disabled facilities are just enough to get their tick in the box though. The llit and the disabled toilets were particularly disappointing in my opinion As they were difficult to get in and out of. The toilet doubles as a baby changing facility And the large nappy being makes it difficult to navigate. If you are able bodied give this hotel a try but for the wheelchair user i would advise caution

2 Thank Zapp Z
I am eternally grateful for your constructive feedback regarding our accessible facilities in the hotel. We clearly have some more work to carry out in order to enhance what we already have in place. I would be most grateful if you could contact me in so I can discuss this in greater detail.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Just returned from a three night stay at The Cornwall, whilst visiting relatives in St Austell. Looked at many 4 star hotels within the locality before booking but glad we did. We have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels and must rank this amongst one of the best. From arrival to departure the staff are faultless, friendly, polite and nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in one of the White House rooms, The Joseph Hammond Room, which was very clean and well equipped with an extremely comfortable bed and beautifully laundered linen. The grounds are expansive and quite. Having read a couple of reviews with regards to the Acorns Brasserrie, we would hope that the Chef does not consider changing the menu, as it is a perfect contrast to the menu offered within the Arboriitum Restaurant for those with a simpler palette the balance is perfect for all tastes and again the breakfast, "excellent". . and as for the Cream Teas, our waist lines are just thankful that we live over 300 miles away!!! My wife always enjoys the spa facilities in all of our hotel stays and rated this among the best from the pool facilities to the professionalism of the treatments. Upon our next return to visit our family we will certainly make The Cornwall our home from home. Thank you again to all the staff at The Cornwall. Kind regards Mark and Anne Emmerson

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs Emmerson, firstly thank you for the wonderful review about our hotel. The team and I have been working hard to improve our hospitality for our guests and your review certainly spurs us onwards to improve further. Those cream teas are wonderful, it’s a good job we have a gym on site to burn off those extra calories!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,293 reviews

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!