“Aiming to return soon, it was so good!”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had four glorious days at The Cornwall Hotel in fairly unpredictable weather and stayed in one of the Superior Rooms.
A cheery welcome by an efficient Receptionist was an indication of the friendly and very helpful manner of all the staff at the hotel; nothing was too much trouble.
The room was very spacious with a large balcony overlooking the lawns and lake (216). The bathroom was very modern with a superb shower. Toiletries were OK but not of a high quality (e.g. it took a whole bottle of shampoo to get a lather on my thick hair). There was a fridge, wi-fi, tv, tea making facilities, safe, everything you could wish for. It was blissfully quiet too.
The breakfast was one of the best in any hotel we have stayed in. Everything you can think of on the buffet plus items cooked to order - perfect.
Dinner in the Arboretum was very good (a la carte) or nicely cooked, but much like home (table d'hôte) The portions of gravadlax were extremely small though, which I didn't understand as there were lashings of smoked salmon for breakfast!
Dinner in the Acorns was a lighter meal delicious burgers and chips etc - food of that type - but the same price as the Arboretum table d'hôte (£20 per head without wine).
One word of warning: if you order anything from Room Service you will get a £6 'Tray Charge' - I was taken aback at this and thought I had actually purchased the tray! Four 125 ml tonic waters cost us £13 with the tray charge. I will never allow that to happen next time I visit!
The pool area is fabulous - one of the nicest pools I've swum in and larger than the average hotel pool. Sauna and Steam Room were very good too. I did not have any spa treatments.
The position of the hotel, just on the outskirts of St Austell, made it a perfect location to tour Cornwall easily; the Eden Project being just a few minutes away. Beaches are close by the hotel.
I would urge potential visitors who have a disability to ensure they book a room with easy access as the hotel is built into the side of a hill. Although there is a lift, I don't believe it reaches the top very floor (where our room was).
Altogether we had a wonderful time and we will certainly revisit as soon as possible.

Some of the reviews are very disappointing and do not reflect the hotel at all. We did hear one or two people whinging about ridiculously petty things that they should have checked out before staying there, and one in particular seemed to thrive on being disgruntled about everything. I consider I am a very fussy person with very high standards and expectations and I really loved my time there.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms on the top floor are fabulous but be prepared to walk a bit further and climb a dozen...
1  Thank UTFDorset
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

We do hope to see you again and thank you for your kind words and recommendation. Sorry about the portion size of the gravlax, we are currently reviewing this although we do use a superior quality salmon that is left in a dry marinade of salt, sugar, and dill, and cured for a few days, but we always appreciate any feedback. There is a £6 tray charge for room service, details of which can be found in the guest room compendium. We have 4 accessible bedrooms located on the same floor as the lift but as you state the reminder of our Woodland Rooms are upstairs. We do receive a lot of critique from happy and sadly from unhappy guests which we welcome, as we have a passion to try and deliver great service.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,152)

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel was great ,we weren't sure what to expect as it came as a recommendation from a friend .the woodland rooms were very good and well appointed,not a problem to us but the lift really needed to go to the second floor if you had heavy bags or walking problems the staff at the restaurant were very attentive both for breakfast and dinner and the food was good for the money in both restaurants , the spa was excellent plenty of towels and treatments available ,pool great and made for a relaxing Break for us and def recommend it to friends .

• Stayed: June 2013
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

I am elated to read that you enjoyed your relaxing break here at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate. The layout is unusual as the main Woodland Rooms nestle behind the original and oldest part of the hotel (The Whitehouse) and therefore the lift only operates between the ground floor and the first floor. Thankfully we have a number of bedrooms, including accessible rooms on this level. Of course we are always more than happy to help our guests with luggage even up to the other floors where the views are just calming and relaxing. Thank you for your kind words and recommendation and hopefully we will see you again soon

Reviewed 20 June 2013

A really nice hotel with lovely modern rooms good friendly staff and great leisure facilities. My only criticisms are that the main restaurant is very starchy although the food is excellent, however they did forget to bring us any bread. Also they could do with doing a bit of cleaning in the main lounge it is full of cobwebs. Overall a great hotel and would definitely return and recommend

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback. If I assume correctly you must be referring to the Acorns Brasserie, and please accept my apologies for the staff forgetting to offer the bread! The cobwebs have been banished. We will look forward to seeing you again and I am sure you will see further improvements yet again. The hotel is the perfect location to explore Cornwall.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate in June 2013 for our 'mini-moon'. We had a wonderful time. The hotel is located in beautiful surroundings. The food was outstanding - both in terms of quality and presentation. The staff were absolutely fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel to couples wanting to escape from the world for a short while. A lovely retreat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 'superior' room - quiet, comfortable and stylish.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

I just love the idea of a ‘mini-moon’! Thank you for your kind words of recommendation, it just pleases the team & I when we know we have delivered a great experience to our friends and guests.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've just returned home following a 3 night stay and all I can say is wonderful! we had a wonderful stay from start to end, our stay was just what we had hoped.

We arrived on Friday at about midday earlier than the check in time BUT it was not a problem the lovely receptionists said our room was ready. Having had a 5 hour drive it was lovely to be able to go straight to our room and not hang about waiting for the check in time.

Our room was perfect! Room 225 on the 2nd floor was a delight with fantastic views and absolute peace and quiet other than the chirping of the birds. My one and only fault is that there is no air conditioning and all though we had a mixture of rain and sunshine the room was very warm. Thankfully, we did have a fan in our room which we did make full use.

I must also say that the drive from the main gates to the hotel is beautiful, simply stunning and took us by surprise.

We had a meal in the main restaurant on our 1st evening, it was part of our package and the food was delicious. we had a few extras which we paid for but it was worth it.

The breakfast was OK BUT nothing special. My partner had the smoked haddock on our 1st morning and it was a little disappointing, very watery and no taste. I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or poached eggs which was lovely.

I must say that all the staff at The Cornwall were so lovely, very friendly and chatty. We both had massages in the clearing spa and I must give a very special 'thank you' and a mention to 'Paula'. Paula was just what I needed. I opted for the 100 minute Ritual massage and it really did the job to take away all my aches, pains and stresses of my day job. Thank You Paula. I wish I could have taken you home with me. The swimming pool is beautiful and I did use the gym facilities which were great!

Our 3 days were glorious BUT the time went far too quickly. We will definitely be coming back to The Cornwall.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

The grounds are peaceful and tranquil and when sitting on your private balcony, well let’s just say it makes the whole experience blissful. I have spoken with my Head Chef regarding breakfast as we appear to have had an issue over a week end. It is just not acceptable to be serving Smoked Haddock that is watery – sorry! Everyone wants to take Paula home; she is one of our little stars in The Clearing Spa.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Lovely well sized rooms with beautiful views, and reception staff who are always helpful even at 0100hrs! Unfortunately breakfast was very disappointing. Would have gotten better food at a local cafe and for much better value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Firstly my sincere apologies regarding breakfast. This is certainly not what we strive to achieve on a daily basis and does not really reflect our normal offering as can be seen by other reviews. I can only imagine that the breakfast buffet ran extremely low and was not replenished in time due to high demand. Sorry that we failed on the occasion. On a more positive note I am glad that you enjoyed the well sized bedrooms and the helpful staff.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay in one of the 3 bedroom lodges (number 9). The lodge was lovely, it has 3 ground floor bedrooms, one with en-suite and a very large bathroom for the other bedrooms. The beds were all very comfortable and the rooms spacious with plenty of hanging space in the wardrobes. The upstairs has the lounge, dining room and kitchen and are again lovely and spacious with a high level of furnishing and fittings. The balcony is wonderful, offering great views of the estate and the wildlife! My dog joined us on the trip and loved the grounds where we took several lovely walks through the woods at the back and the large lawned/field areas that makeup the estate. There are lots of rabbits on the estate so off lead walking is not advised if you have a dog who loves to chase things but the walled garden was a great place for a few games of fetch in complete safety and also made entertainment for those using the pool! :-) The walk up to the woods at the back is steep but well worth it and I was lucky enough to see a fox one late afternoon.

The main hotel is also fabulous, the reception staff were friendly and welcoming, with the dog allowed into the lounge area where drinks and afternoon tea are served. We ate in both restaurants and had wonderful food in both. The staff were very friendly and provided excellent service every time we ate there. I didn't have the chance to use the spa facilities but if everything else is the benchmark then I can only think it would be excellent as well.

The estate is very well located to get to all areas of Cornwall and there are plenty of shopping options for those who truly want to self-cater. The only small complaints are no iPod dock (AirPlay compatible would be best) for music purposes in the lodges, this would be a nice extra that is now standard in many hotels, and it was virtually impossible to creep around the upstairs of the lodges and not be heard in the bedrooms but this was only a very minor issue for us as we wanted to make the most of our stay in Cornwall.

It was everything I hoped it would be from the website and more, can't wait to visit again!

Lindsey

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Lindsey
It was an honour to meet you all during your stay and thank you very much for a delightful review. I almost went to book a lodge myself once I had read your comments! I think the idea of iPod docks is brilliant and we are currently reviewing this, so thank you for the great feedback. The team and I look forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards, Greg.

Premier Inn St. Austell Hotel
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!