“Fantastic weekend break”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Woking, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend break”
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights recently. We booked a luxury woodland room (218). We arrived quite late on the first night, ordering room service and relaxing on the balcony. The room service menu at 10pm was rather limited, though expected as it was late.

I have only a few comments on areas that I feel could be improved. This isn't to moan at all, but I think its useful to know about. The rooms are very warm, sometimes bordering on uncomfortable. We called reception to find out how to turn the heating down and were told there is a thermostat on the wall. We couldn't find it so had to keep the fan on all night which as quite noisy but bearable.

The lighting is quite poor in the rooms. You have to rely on lamps in the rooms, which in one respect is lovely and relaxing and not too bright, but at the same time I found it difficult to get ready properly later on. There is no light on the balcony too which is a shame and would have been lovely to sit out and read. If the hotel considered adding this at a later dat i think it would be lovely!

It also seems that the lift only goes up so far. We were on the 2nd floor, and the lift supposedly takes you to the 2nd floor, but we still had to carry bags up 2 flights of stairs. It may just be that we didn't find the other lift and kept forgetting to ask, but it maybe worth double checking first if you have difficulty with the stairs.

Having said this above, for me, the positives by far outweighed any negatives in this hotel!

The room was really nicely decorated with a very comfy bed! Tea and coffee facilities were included and the bathroom was lovely! The Shower was fab!

The staff were friendly, and we found Charlotte who we met a few times in the Park Terrace was extremely friendly to us and lovely to chat to. All staff were very approachable and happy to explain anything at all/help were needed.

The food is lovely - lite bites are limited in the day. We struggled to find some nuts or crisps to keep us going, so kept resorting to sandwiches (which were lovely so no complaints). The cost of the food was typical hotel prices and not extortionate by any means. The breakfast in the Acorns was great and included a lovely selection. There was a buffet style breakfast but you could also order extras like porridge, haddock, smoked salmon etc which were included in the room rate from what I could see. We ate in the Arboretum for dinner as part of the package we took, which was lovely and again friendly and non-intrusive service.

The hotel has a lovely gym and pool area. There is a whirlpool and outdoor terrace. The juice bar is a great addition too.

The grounds of the hotel are nice for a wander around. The woodland homes look great and I'd definitely try one of these next time.

In summary, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. There were a few things I'd suggest improving, but nothing major. For me if the food is good and the staff are friendly with good surroundings, the rest can be "fixed". This hotel has no problems in this.

It's near to the beach, great surroundings and near the town centre. I will definitely be booking my next trip soon, and very much look forward to returning.

Thanks for a lovely weekend!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Dev2706
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and we certainly welcome your constructive criticism, e.g. lighting and the temperature of the room and we are currently reviewing and considering on further improvements. Our main bedroom accommodation is built into a woodland slope behind the original part of the hotel called The Whitehouse and therefore our lift only operates to the 2nd floor where the corridor link takes you to the Woodland Rooms. There you will find a number of bedrooms on that floor, however all other rooms are located upstairs on three other different levels. Our superior rooms offer the best views across the estate. Our porter is always happy to assist our guests with luggage. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
London
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed in a Woodland lodge in April. Arrived around 1300, and the lodge wasn't ready and so we had lunch in the bar area. I had a sandwich which was fine but expensive (£6.50) ham with a very small garnish, my husband had fish and chips and enjoyed them. We had to check if the lodge was ready several times and the reception staff were a bit over whelmed with numbers of people trying to check in. The lodge was nicely furnished, unfortunately the weather was very cold, the bedrooms are downstairs and it took hours for them to heat up and did not feel very warm even with the heaters on full blast. Upstairs (Kitchen/dining/living area) was very toasty though. The kitchen was well equipped. Great to have a washer dryer.
There surrounding area of the hotel was nice but it's only just off a main road. Not really anything to do in St Austell, we did go into town to pick up some supplies and it looks a but run down.
Overall, a nice hotel and the lodges are very suitable for families but we didn't like the area as much as some of the other places we have stayed in Cornwall.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ainthesun
Thank you for your review and sorry that check in took longer than required. We do inform guests that check in time is at 3.00pm but we welcome guests to use our facilities should they arrive earlier. On occasions reception does get busy when most guests decide to arrive and check in. Although St Austell is a historic market town, it is a great base from which to explore Cornwall.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

we booked this hotel in February but never got confirmation. Three weeks ago I rang and offered the ultimatum confirm or cancel. we are both severely disabled and had asked that we have a room without steps. We were assured that the De luxe twin would be ideal. We said we would require a fridge and this room only has a mini bar. We were told no problem a fridge would be in the room, even though only the superior rooms have them according to the website. We were also told that we had disabled parking adjacent. When we arrived we were offered a room with a flight of 10 steps, but were told we were 'lucky ' because we had been upgraded to a superior room. This is not true as the website photograph is identical to the room we had even the picture on the wall we did not get a fridge as promised.(I have it in writing). or the radio and clock as the website. The parking was not available but it was suggested that we use the disabled parking at the back of the hotel as no guests used them. This was because the manager parked his Peugot there and the hotel used the other space to park two buggies. See photograph. These spaces would require a climb of 27 steps cut into chalk and two ramps. It was obvious to us that the booking had been messed up, but why lie about the upgrade that did not happen. We were kept awake for the last two nights with a small dog yapping and woken up at 5pm when he needed to go out. According to the website the superior and luxury rooms do not accept dogs. I would suggest that if you are disabled think long and hard and take ear plugs. If like me you do not relish the thought of sharing your bed with unknown dogs look elsewhere. The hotel was good and the room but I do take exception to being lied to. There are a few rooms without steps but as they messed up the booking I believe they would have said we had not booked if I had not insisted that I had confirmation in writing.

Room Tip: If you are disabled insist in writing that you have room to the left of the hotel without steps.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Firstly please accept my humble apologies for not meeting and exceeding your expectations and thank you for taking the time to post a review. Having checked our records your email confirmation was sent twice from our automated system and I can only assume that our confirmation hit your spam folder. I do note that during your original reservation no mention was made about requiring an accessible bedroom, but you did request for a twin room on the top floor and this was booked accordingly. Reservations do remember receiving your telephone call where you were chasing your confirmation and it was at this point you initially notified us about your walking difficulties. Reservations then changed the room type and provided a complimentary upgrade to a luxury room, not a superior, but this was on a floor that had 10 steps to access your bedroom. This amendment was carried out on 19 June and written confirmation was sent by post rather than email. You did indeed request for a fridge but our reservation department informed you that we only had mini bars in the bedrooms and that it was not possible to put a fridge into the room. Again I have double checked our confirmation which states “We note your request for top sheets to be on your bed, and that a mini fridge is required during your stay” – all of our rooms are equipped with mini fridges. Having investigated, I do note that you looked at both rooms when you checked in, one on the top floor, by accessing 30 steps, and the bedroom that you decided to stay in. We have a number of designs for our bedrooms where the décor, layout and pictures are the same in different room types; hence the incorrect thinking that you were in the wrong room, but I think the confusion is due to you being upgraded to a Luxury Bedroom and not a Superior as you suggest and therefore the staff did not lie. We currently have two accessible car parking areas. The main accessible car park is located at the front of the hotel, with a secondary accessible parking area located at the other side of the hotel, where I park my car along with the hotel golf buggies. We do this so that we can protect the accessible bays as quite often non-disabled guests’ park their cars leaving disabled guests without easy access to the building. This permits us to free up a space when required, so there is method in our madness and I have moved my car quite happily on numerous occasions to accommodate our guests. You mentioned that there are 27 steps to access your bedroom from this area, but all that was required was to walk into the drawing room, pass reception and then take the lift to the Woodland Rooms. We have a number of bedrooms that we allocate as dog friendly rooms. These rooms never change and as we charge for dogs, this is put towards extra cleaning requirements for these rooms. I refuse to accept that we “messed up the booking” and also take great exception to you calling the team liars. We are extremely passionate about our hospitality provided to our guests at The Cornwall Hotel, we do not always get it right but there is certainly no intention to deceive our guests. Investment into the development of our teams is paramount to our future success. Thank you once again for your feedback and if you would like to discuss anything further with me on a personal level, please contact me by phone.
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We've just returned from a 3 night stay and had a lovely time at the Cornwall. It's in a beautiful setting and the room we had was large and very comfortable. Little touches like the bottles of water in the room which are replaced daily mean a lot along with the replenishment of the tea, coffee and lovely biscuits. The staff really can't do enough for you and are an absolute asset to the hotel.

1 Thank TracyWP
I am so pleased that you found the team great, we have been working very hard to improve our customer service day by day and it is your kind words that inspires us more and more. Please do come back and see us again soon and thank you for your review.
Devon, UK
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had a really lovely stay in the Cornwall. We took advantage of a Travelzoo offer and it was exceptionally good value. We ate at the hotel both nights, all the food we had at the hotel was very good. The rooms were beautifully decorated and imaginatively laid out. The staff were lovely and very helpful. We had a nice walk around the grounds and although there isn't lots to do, we had come with the intention of just relaxing for a few days so it completely suited us. The only criticism we had was of the spa. There were very few loungers around the pool and because of the way they were laid out in pairs, only 3 couples/families could use them. It wasn't too busy at the times we were there, but there's no where to put your things if you can't get one and so people hogged them even if they were going off for a treatment. It wasn't adequate for the number of people using the spa. More, smaller seating would be better. Also I had a dreadful massage although my partner had a brilliant one so it seemed pot luck with the masseuse. We're definitely planning to go again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding the Spa and we are currently reviewing the possibility of providing more loungers around the infinity pool. I was disappointed to read that while your partner had a brilliant massage that you didn’t and please accept my apologies. I have passed your comments onto my Spa Manager where we will ensure remedial training will be carried out. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
SW England
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had four glorious days at The Cornwall Hotel in fairly unpredictable weather and stayed in one of the Superior Rooms.
A cheery welcome by an efficient Receptionist was an indication of the friendly and very helpful manner of all the staff at the hotel; nothing was too much trouble.
The room was very spacious with a large balcony overlooking the lawns and lake (216). The bathroom was very modern with a superb shower. Toiletries were OK but not of a high quality (e.g. it took a whole bottle of shampoo to get a lather on my thick hair). There was a fridge, wi-fi, tv, tea making facilities, safe, everything you could wish for. It was blissfully quiet too.
The breakfast was one of the best in any hotel we have stayed in. Everything you can think of on the buffet plus items cooked to order - perfect.
Dinner in the Arboretum was very good (a la carte) or nicely cooked, but much like home (table d'hôte) The portions of gravadlax were extremely small though, which I didn't understand as there were lashings of smoked salmon for breakfast!
Dinner in the Acorns was a lighter meal delicious burgers and chips etc - food of that type - but the same price as the Arboretum table d'hôte (£20 per head without wine).
One word of warning: if you order anything from Room Service you will get a £6 'Tray Charge' - I was taken aback at this and thought I had actually purchased the tray! Four 125 ml tonic waters cost us £13 with the tray charge. I will never allow that to happen next time I visit!
The pool area is fabulous - one of the nicest pools I've swum in and larger than the average hotel pool. Sauna and Steam Room were very good too. I did not have any spa treatments.
The position of the hotel, just on the outskirts of St Austell, made it a perfect location to tour Cornwall easily; the Eden Project being just a few minutes away. Beaches are close by the hotel.
I would urge potential visitors who have a disability to ensure they book a room with easy access as the hotel is built into the side of a hill. Although there is a lift, I don't believe it reaches the top very floor (where our room was).
Altogether we had a wonderful time and we will certainly revisit as soon as possible.

Some of the reviews are very disappointing and do not reflect the hotel at all. We did hear one or two people whinging about ridiculously petty things that they should have checked out before staying there, and one in particular seemed to thrive on being disgruntled about everything. I consider I am a very fussy person with very high standards and expectations and I really loved my time there.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms on the top floor are fabulous but be prepared to walk a bit further and climb a dozen...
1 Thank UTFDorset
We do hope to see you again and thank you for your kind words and recommendation. Sorry about the portion size of the gravlax, we are currently reviewing this although we do use a superior quality salmon that is left in a dry marinade of salt, sugar, and dill, and cured for a few days, but we always appreciate any feedback. There is a £6 tray charge for room service, details of which can be found in the guest room compendium. We have 4 accessible bedrooms located on the same floor as the lift but as you state the reminder of our Woodland Rooms are upstairs. We do receive a lot of critique from happy and sadly from unhappy guests which we welcome, as we have a passion to try and deliver great service.
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel was great ,we weren't sure what to expect as it came as a recommendation from a friend .the woodland rooms were very good and well appointed,not a problem to us but the lift really needed to go to the second floor if you had heavy bags or walking problems the staff at the restaurant were very attentive both for breakfast and dinner and the food was good for the money in both restaurants , the spa was excellent plenty of towels and treatments available ,pool great and made for a relaxing Break for us and def recommend it to friends .

• Stayed June 2013
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
I am elated to read that you enjoyed your relaxing break here at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate. The layout is unusual as the main Woodland Rooms nestle behind the original and oldest part of the hotel (The Whitehouse) and therefore the lift only operates between the ground floor and the first floor. Thankfully we have a number of bedrooms, including accessible rooms on this level. Of course we are always more than happy to help our guests with luggage even up to the other floors where the views are just calming and relaxing. Thank you for your kind words and recommendation and hopefully we will see you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!