“A Fantastic Stay”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
“A Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a stay here to celebrate my wife's birthday and must say the place is fantastic.
We had an upgraded room and the stay was superb value due to the fact I booked with Secret Escapes.
Driving up to the venue is lovely. Its sympathetically lit at night and apart from the temporary feeling carparks the venue is very nice.
The hotel itself is clean with modern flat screens and a good selection of channels. The swimming pool and gym facilities are stunning, also there is wireless throughout the building for those who cannot bear to be out of touch. I would just say the wireless is not the fastest but it is adequate for receiving emails or checking in on Facebook.
I would recommend the venue to anyone looking for a weekend break. The food served in the restaurant is top notch and after eating dinner one of the nights I certainly needed to use the swimming pool.
One final thought, all the staff were friendly and a credit to the venue. We couldn't have been made to feel any more welcome.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Belated happy returns to your wife and we are thrilled that we made your special break relaxing. Thank you for the time and effort in writing such a great review, that team are grateful and are humbled that they delivered a great experience to you both. Hopefully we will see you back again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here after finding a deal on Secret Escapes, we had a superior room in 'The White House' for two nights and the offer included one 3 course meal in the Acorn Brasserie restaurant. We arrived on Thursday to a lovely welcome from Emily and went up to our room, it was a lovely room, very clean and definitely had the wow factor! Very comfy (and huge!) beds! Our room had a balcony with lovely views over the grounds. We had our meal in the restaurant that evening, it was quite quiet with only a couple of other guests while we were there, it was lovely and comfortable with a really nice chilled and intimate atmosphere. The food was great, we could not fault it at all, also brilliant service. The breakfast in the morning was great, lots of choice included in your stay price, buffet and also a chef cooking up fresh eggs and veggie sausages for me! Chef very friendly and told me he would prepare the sausages again for me the next morning when we arrived so we didn't have long to wait (not that it was long anyway!).
That evening we went to the Polgooth Inn for dinner - just down the road (to the right as you exit) and well worth the visit, really nice meal and friendly service!
We used the Spa at The Cornwall - just the swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room, again all lovely and clean and good facilities.

All in all an absolutely fab long weekend, I would highly recommend, and would not hesitate to go back for another treat weekend! Thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a great review and kind comments. Belated happy birthday, we are on cloud nine that you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward d to seeing you return back again soon.
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I reviewed this hotel 18 months ago and its quality deserves a second review. Driving up is impressive; checking in was again friendly and helpful; bedroom immaculate, although this time I was staying alone on business and didn't upgrade so no vie from bedroom but who cares i winter for one night; clean modern bathroom; good value in smaller restaurant with fast turnaround needed to go to appointment. fresh hot full breakfast. Still undoubtedly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Offers make it incredible value - only £15 more than Premier Inn. Will be back in a couple of months

Room Tip: Modern rooms at rear are brilliant

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We are delighted that you have retuned back to see us again, even if it was for business purposes. Thank you again for your kind review, no doubt we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.
The New Forest
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed with a 50% discount from Secret Escapes in November 2013, which meant we paid about £259 for two nights in a Superior room with dinner and breakfast.

The main hotel building is very imposing and we were impressed driving in. The main reception is very attractive and has been well thought out. The car park is a little walk from the main building, but it's not an issue as there's plenty of space to stop and unload your bags.

We had a really relaxing time and did a lot of exploring the sights and beautiful beaches of Cornwall, we didn't really see St. Austell town itself as there were other places we wanted to visit.

Our Superior room (with the bathroom as part of the main room) was very attractive. The bed is HUGE and it had the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. Tea & coffee making facilities and biscuits plus room service if you want it. A large TV with freeview and films (films are an extra charge). The bath is also very large, but as a previous reviewer mentioned there is no bubble bath, so take your own!

The only downsides were; the lip under the shower screen was falling off so water cascaded down the side of the bath and onto the floor, this must have been happening for some time as the bath had wooden panelling this had gone soft and was coming away from the bath, we did mention this issue to reception. The only other small issue was the decking on our balcony had not been cleaned in a very long time. The railings were green, the decking was very slippery and covered in leaves and sap. A quick brush of the decking and a wipe of the table would have been a nice touch. I'm not sure I would have been happy with these small issues had I paid full price.

That said, overall we were very happy with our stay, the evening meal and breakfast were superb. The breakfast especially, I had a traditional full English and my husband had the poached eggs with haddock one morning and the scrambled eggs with salmon the other. All of the food was exceptionally good. There were also cereals and warm pastries which were lovely. Most of the staff very friendly and accommodating.

It was my first spa experience and I LOVED it. I had a lava shell massage which was superb and a mini mani/pedi. I felt very relaxed in my gown and slippers... We were greeted with a glass of cold Prosecco on arrival, very nice touch! All the spa staff were lovely.

We would go definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Whilst we were delighted that you enjoyed your stay we were annoyed with ourselves in some areas where we fell short and please accept my sincere apologies. We have reviewed the ‘niggles’ at our team meeting and are putting systems into place to make sure that these do not recur. However, thank you for what is still a very kid review; now that you have had your first taste of a Spa Treatments we look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, rooms clean and staff helpful, however I do think its a bit pricey for what is there as I've stayed in better hotels for a cheaper price, the spa is lovely and the grounds which the hotel is on is amazing view, there is nothing around the hotel if you wanted to go shopping or anything, but it was a nice relaxing break.

• Stayed November 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed a relaxing break with us and thank you for your kind comments.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel was amazing the rooms (supreme) were gorgeous and the views are amazing. Foo was the bet food I've eaten at a hotel ever! After the meals though there isn't much to do - the bar seems very quiet and not much atmosphere. The spa was very nice and relaxing except for the kids which were allowed to splash about the whole day ruining the relaxation. That for me was the only real downside. We stayed in October for my partners bday and had a great time.

• Stayed October 2013
We hope your partner had a brilliant birthday and we are humbled that you decided to choose The Cornwall to celebrate. Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel. Hopefully we will see you back again soon.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We booked a two night stay through "Secret Escapes" which meant that we saved about 50% off the normal price. This included breakfast and one night fine dining. All of the food was fantastic, the fine dining comes off a set menu which was a bit limited but you can choose off the a la carte menu as well with a couple of extra pounds supplement.

The staff were brilliant, very helpful and always with a smile on their faces, also more than happy to have a chat. At dinner, we did have to wait for some service (not too long) this was mainly due to the ratio of guests to waiters.

The room was lovely, it has its shower room open to the bedroom which was fine for couples who aren't too prudish about their shower activities!!! I'm sure there are other styles of rooms for those who are, and for those groups going on a guys/girls trip away.

Views were spectacular, especially from the balcony which I believe every room has.

The spa was very nice with the infinity pool being a nice touch. It is a good size pool with a lane for those who wish to do some proper lengths. We came in the off-season so it was quiet but I can imagine, in the peak season, could be quite crowded.

The only reason we gave this hotel 4/5 rather than the full 5 is that the drinks are quite pricey. £10 for a pint and a small glass of wine is bit excessive.

Room Tip: If travelling with friends double check the room has an enclosed bathroom!!