“Romantic weekend!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Romantic weekend!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I had a 2 night stay in this hotel for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and couldn't have chosen a better place! The staff were very welcoming and pleasant always very helpful and with a smile too! The breakfast was superb, using lots of local produce and a good choice too. There was fresh fruit and yoghurts with all the trimmings along with pastries to start and the cooked food was always kept circulated so no dried congealed offerings. There were also other items like smoked haddock with poached eggs or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on offer too so a good selection. We had a meal in the Acorns brasserie which was excellent, ours was included in the price however I think it was quite reasonably priced for a 3 course meal, the wine however was the normal hotel prices!
The room was fabulous, very spacious and cosy with a huge bed that was so comfortable! The bathroom was integrated and open to the room so a bit unusual but nice all the same. The decor was very modern and trendy with stunning wall papers, (I sneaked a look in other rooms as I walked past!!) There was a very large TV which was on a bracket so good for watching in bed and it was nice having a fridge in the room too. There was a nice balcony with a table and chairs however a bit chilly in November! As this was a treat we had some spa treatments which were to die for! The young ladies giving the treatments were excellent and very professional and we both felt so relaxed afterwards we spent some time chilling in the relaxation room afterwards! The pool was lovely in the evening with subdued lighting (and no kids!), there was also a steam room and a sauna with a whirl pool alongside the pool. This was a lovely experience and would certainly do it all again, if there was any criticism at all it would be that the wardrobe in the room was very dark!! In the evening you had to turn the loo light on to see into it!! The hotel is in a nice area for exploring Charlestown, Mevagissey St Austell and further afield to Fowey, you gan get a bopat from mevagissey if you fancy a bit of sea time! All in all a fab stay, can't wait to do it again!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Our very best wishes and congratulations on your 30th Wedding Anniversary again. We were humbled and honoured that you decided to celebrate such an importance occasion with us and equally for writing such a great review. We will look into the lighting for the wardrobes and appreciate the feedback on this particular issue. See you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and really cannot fault any single element of our stay. From our initial welcome to our departure we found all the staff (without exception) to be welcoming friendly and helpful.
The facilities were excellent, with the hotel being well layed out, a stylish and comfortable room, delightful grounds and the clearing spa is stunning.
We ate in both restaurants and enjoyed superb food with plenty of choice, tasty, beautifully cooked and presented and good value.
Our springer spaniel also thoroughly enjoyed her stay, but was somewhat frustrated at having to stay on the lead when there were all those bunnies which needed chasing!
All in all, a very memorable and enjoyable stay - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Difficult to advise as we only have experience of a woodland luxury room, which was excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, it’s just great that you decided to stay with us for such a memorable occasion. Thank you for such a kind review, it makes all our hard work worthwhile. Those bunnies are just too tempting for the dogs but we love the fact that we do have a number of our bedrooms that are dog friendly; it’s great to have the whole family with you! See you again when you return.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent a weekend here, the whole experience was so relaxing. Staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Food was good quality, Spa clean and inviting.
The hotel itself is so well designed with excellent interior design/colour. Contemporary design but retaining it's original features.

I would definitely return to this hotel and would like to say Thank you again to all the staff once more. The owners should be proud of you!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Wow, you brought a smile to my face when I read your wonderful review. Thank you so much, it means a lot to the team and I to know that we are on the right track!
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a stay here to celebrate my wife's birthday and must say the place is fantastic.
We had an upgraded room and the stay was superb value due to the fact I booked with Secret Escapes.
Driving up to the venue is lovely. Its sympathetically lit at night and apart from the temporary feeling carparks the venue is very nice.
The hotel itself is clean with modern flat screens and a good selection of channels. The swimming pool and gym facilities are stunning, also there is wireless throughout the building for those who cannot bear to be out of touch. I would just say the wireless is not the fastest but it is adequate for receiving emails or checking in on Facebook.
I would recommend the venue to anyone looking for a weekend break. The food served in the restaurant is top notch and after eating dinner one of the nights I certainly needed to use the swimming pool.
One final thought, all the staff were friendly and a credit to the venue. We couldn't have been made to feel any more welcome.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Belated happy returns to your wife and we are thrilled that we made your special break relaxing. Thank you for the time and effort in writing such a great review, that team are grateful and are humbled that they delivered a great experience to you both. Hopefully we will see you back again.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here after finding a deal on Secret Escapes, we had a superior room in 'The White House' for two nights and the offer included one 3 course meal in the Acorn Brasserie restaurant. We arrived on Thursday to a lovely welcome from Emily and went up to our room, it was a lovely room, very clean and definitely had the wow factor! Very comfy (and huge!) beds! Our room had a balcony with lovely views over the grounds. We had our meal in the restaurant that evening, it was quite quiet with only a couple of other guests while we were there, it was lovely and comfortable with a really nice chilled and intimate atmosphere. The food was great, we could not fault it at all, also brilliant service. The breakfast in the morning was great, lots of choice included in your stay price, buffet and also a chef cooking up fresh eggs and veggie sausages for me! Chef very friendly and told me he would prepare the sausages again for me the next morning when we arrived so we didn't have long to wait (not that it was long anyway!).
That evening we went to the Polgooth Inn for dinner - just down the road (to the right as you exit) and well worth the visit, really nice meal and friendly service!
We used the Spa at The Cornwall - just the swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room, again all lovely and clean and good facilities.

All in all an absolutely fab long weekend, I would highly recommend, and would not hesitate to go back for another treat weekend! Thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a great review and kind comments. Belated happy birthday, we are on cloud nine that you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward d to seeing you return back again soon.
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I reviewed this hotel 18 months ago and its quality deserves a second review. Driving up is impressive; checking in was again friendly and helpful; bedroom immaculate, although this time I was staying alone on business and didn't upgrade so no vie from bedroom but who cares i winter for one night; clean modern bathroom; good value in smaller restaurant with fast turnaround needed to go to appointment. fresh hot full breakfast. Still undoubtedly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Offers make it incredible value - only £15 more than Premier Inn. Will be back in a couple of months

Room Tip: Modern rooms at rear are brilliant

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We are delighted that you have retuned back to see us again, even if it was for business purposes. Thank you again for your kind review, no doubt we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.
The New Forest
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed with a 50% discount from Secret Escapes in November 2013, which meant we paid about £259 for two nights in a Superior room with dinner and breakfast.

The main hotel building is very imposing and we were impressed driving in. The main reception is very attractive and has been well thought out. The car park is a little walk from the main building, but it's not an issue as there's plenty of space to stop and unload your bags.

We had a really relaxing time and did a lot of exploring the sights and beautiful beaches of Cornwall, we didn't really see St. Austell town itself as there were other places we wanted to visit.

Our Superior room (with the bathroom as part of the main room) was very attractive. The bed is HUGE and it had the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. Tea & coffee making facilities and biscuits plus room service if you want it. A large TV with freeview and films (films are an extra charge). The bath is also very large, but as a previous reviewer mentioned there is no bubble bath, so take your own!

The only downsides were; the lip under the shower screen was falling off so water cascaded down the side of the bath and onto the floor, this must have been happening for some time as the bath had wooden panelling this had gone soft and was coming away from the bath, we did mention this issue to reception. The only other small issue was the decking on our balcony had not been cleaned in a very long time. The railings were green, the decking was very slippery and covered in leaves and sap. A quick brush of the decking and a wipe of the table would have been a nice touch. I'm not sure I would have been happy with these small issues had I paid full price.

That said, overall we were very happy with our stay, the evening meal and breakfast were superb. The breakfast especially, I had a traditional full English and my husband had the poached eggs with haddock one morning and the scrambled eggs with salmon the other. All of the food was exceptionally good. There were also cereals and warm pastries which were lovely. Most of the staff very friendly and accommodating.

It was my first spa experience and I LOVED it. I had a lava shell massage which was superb and a mini mani/pedi. I felt very relaxed in my gown and slippers... We were greeted with a glass of cold Prosecco on arrival, very nice touch! All the spa staff were lovely.

We would go definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Whilst we were delighted that you enjoyed your stay we were annoyed with ourselves in some areas where we fell short and please accept my sincere apologies. We have reviewed the ‘niggles’ at our team meeting and are putting systems into place to make sure that these do not recur. However, thank you for what is still a very kid review; now that you have had your first taste of a Spa Treatments we look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!