“Cornwall mini-break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
London, United Kingdom
“Cornwall mini-break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed the weekend and had a great stay. Nicely located overlooking the countryside but at the same time close to great restaurants and scenic walks. The coastal walk is beautiful! Spacious rooms, great spa but the food in the acorns brasserie is a disappointment. Breakfast is ok, but nothing special.

1 Thank Calleand
CornwallHotel, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thanks for your really kind words and comments; we are so happy that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Ripponden, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you for such an amazing night away. The staff are brilliant especially the reception staff who went the extra mile to give us a lovely stay. The food was lovely and our room was just the best. We will be back as soon as we get the chance so thank you to all the team ...

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Natalie Claire S
It was just our pleasure and we were delighted to make your stay really memorable. Isn’t great to have a child free romantic break, see you again soon.
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed for the weekend and had a lovely weekend- the room (superior room) was spacious and comfy, and had great views from the balcony. Ate in the Acorns restaurant which had amazing food, and the staff were very attentive and friendly- although we had booked through a secret escapes deal, we were not treated as though we were 'package group' as sometimes can happen with these deals. There was a wide choice of breakfast and teas/coffees etc were always served nice and quickly once you had sat down. The only criticism would be the lunge bar- we went one night after our meal for a few drinks, but the service was so slow (15-20mins to take our order and then same another 15 to actually get the drinks, despite the bar being practically empty!) that we didn't bother the next nice. All in all, lovely weekend though.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled that you had a lovely week end and thank you for your kind comments. Sorry that the bar service was slow, I will be looking into this to see where we went wrong. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate for a belated birthday for my husband last weekend.
We loved the hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean with great views of the estate.
The fine dining was excellent with good value for money and the pool and spa was an added bonus to the break.
Sure breakfast was busy but it was a weekend . Stop moaning.
Will return.

Stayed March 2014
Firstly thank you for such a kind review and we are just so overjoyed that you had a wonderful stay with us for your husband’s belated birthday, lucky man. Breakfast at the weekends is extremely busy for us especially where we have limitations with the size of our restaurants and thank you for your understanding about this. I loved your comment at the end, but best we do not tell anyone! We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed for two nights at the Cornwall and could not recommend highly enough! The staff were friendly and could not do enough for you , Both restaurants were excellent. Take little notice of some customers moaning about the breakfast ,it was great as with many hotels breakfast buffets get busy at certain times if they got ther backsides out of bed a bit earlier ther wouldn't be a problem its just common sense. We will definitely be going back but will be staying for longer next time!

1 Thank Jason M
Thank you for a wonderful review and such kind comments. I daren’t say anything about breakfast but I think you said it all, but we will continue to try and deliver a high level of service during our busy periods – we will never give up. It will be great to see you again for a return visit.
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I adore coming to The Cornwall.....however there are a couple of irks I truly wish they would sort out! EVERY TIME I have visited I have booked a package deal including one or more meals. Without exception every time I have had to point out that the bill includes requested payment for meals that were included as part of the package! It's so annoying!!! Whatever your internal issues are with this....rectify them. Like another reviewer pointed out it is usually to the tune of at least £40 which is not a small error to make. It strikes me that it is a system protocol/staffing problem. My last visit I had booked two, two night packages back to back....thereby entitling us to two meals included during our stay. On the first night we dined in the member of staff rightly took off the meal allowance from the chit presented to me for signing, leaving just drinks to assign to my room bill. Which is what I would expect when the meal is included in the package. On the next night of dining in the hotel a different member of staff asked me to sign it showing the meal payment as due telling me it would right itself on checkout...I politely pointed out that I knew this would not be the case...bingo! Why is it proving so difficult for The Cornwall to address this ongoing problem??? I've stayed here numerous times now and it happens every time.

I will say that the positioning of this hotel, the wonderful massages I have had there and the use of the spa is what keeps me going back.

The pillows are still flat as pancakes, so I always take my own. Hmmmm.....in a four star hotel I wouldn't expect to have to.

Lovely grounds, generally very helpful staff, superb breakfast choices. To be fair we always go for breakfast early as I don't wish to be caught up in the rush that seems to occur around 8.45 til 9.30am. I always find the staff cheery first thing....despite noting that they are usually the same staff that have been serving dinner late the night before. They do work long hours! So kudos to them for being able to be so bright and cheery again the following morning.

The food has always been lovely when we have visited.

Will be going back, but it is not pleasant knowing that at checkout I will have the usual problem......

Stayed February 2014
We are delighted that we still remain a favourite of yours even though we have major issues with our internal systems when it comes to food packages. We have been trying to have these rectified for what seems like an eternity, and when we think we have resolved the problem then another issue pops up. I promise that at our heads of department meeting we will review your comments and see if we can fix this for once and for all, we do have a clever idea regarding food allowances and we are currently testing this through our systems as I type! We are about to embark on changing our pillows and these have clearly outlived their longevity. I promise that we will review the issues that you have experienced and work hard to have these fixed. Please do contact me at reception next time you are here as I would be delighted to meet up for a chat. Kind regards Greg.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights - a Thursday night and a Friday night. The hotel is lovely and our room in The White House was very nice. The spa is clean, the spa staff very nice, the treatments wonderful and the pool looks gorgeous. My partner used the gym and that was also good. The first breakfast was without hitch. Breakfast was nice if a little poorly-organised with the buffet running out of items but these were replenished soon enough. The second - on the Saturday morning - however, wasn't so good and it was downright chaotic. There weren't enough tables in the the Acorns Brasserie (where breakfast is served) so we were sent down to the other restaurant - along with many, many others. As another commenter has pointed out, weekends are not exactly uncommon what with them happening at the end of every week so to be unable to cater for the number of people staying in the hotel is unacceptable. As already noted, it was like a scene from Fawlty Towers. In the other restaurant, there was a hastily-erected table in the middle of a room with some food stations carelessly arranged. First there were no eggs, then no bacon, then no juice and then no glasses. People were queuing for food and not a staff member in sight. I ended up going to reception and asking them to sort it out. Finally ordered coffee and toast. Even with the chaos at the food stations, we had managed to eat breakfast and still these had not arrived - even with me asking where it had got to. Really, how long does it take to make toast and coffee?! It's a shame because it made the morning check out stressful as we were down at breakfast so much longer than we anticipated and so packing and leaving was a real rush to check out in time.

Room Tip: White House rooms are lovely.