“Standards have slipped - needs to improve”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Standards have slipped - needs to improve”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I first stayed here the year the hotel opened and were keen to return again. Whilst we enjoyed our stay this hotel needs someone to take a grip of it and pull it back up to standard; and what makes it worse is that from the comments on trip adviser the issues have been going on for at least a couple of months:

Main Restaurant: food was okay but not outstanding. Overhearing other diners the same evening they were also of the same opinion. The young waiting staff, who were polite, were obviously inexperienced, with several 'sorrys' as one young gentleman struggled to put dinner plates down on the table. In this kind of restaurant I don't feel it's appropriate to be addressed as 'did you guys enjoy...' The bar is limited and I was met with a blank face when I asked for a Stones ginger wine and did I mean ginger beer?! It felt like we were in a training restaurant. Menu introduction has an error in it and refers to new signature menus in the Spring - which Spring? This Spring just gone or 2015?! The tables are also showing signs of wear. In the more casual Acorns restaurant where breakfast is now served the waiting staff were far more skilled and experienced.

Room: Be careful to state which type of room you would like. On our first stay we were in one of the new woodland rooms. On this most recent visit we were initially given 103 - Maud Smith, which is in the main house. This room is pokey to say the least and is directly above the public rooms downstairs. We asked for a change and were originally told we couldn't move as the hotel was full. We were that disappointed that my husband went to reception to say that because we were unhappy we would stay the one night but wished to cancel the second. At that point they managed to juggle things and gave us a woodland room.

In the woodland room the outside balcony glass panes have the early stages of moss on them and need a clean. In the bathroom the plastic strip on the shower glass was dirty. After the first night the complimentary drinks and biscuits hadn't been replenished and I had to call down to reception to ask for milk. Having been asked whether I wanted fresh or carton milk I opted for cartons, only to have someone bring fresh milk in a jug.

This hotel commands quite a price and needs to reflect this in its standards. It is in a lovely setting it just really needs someone to pull it back up to its former glory.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBCNotts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night break in the hotel and although we booked one of the hotels package deals feel that our whole experience was not good value for money. Don't get me wrong when travelling anywhere in the world we always look for good food and high standards of cleanliness with a degree of luxury. Our room was excellent and kept meticulously clean, I suppose the one complaint I would have is the lack of air conditioning which resulted in quite stifling nights which was offset slightly by the availability of a noisy desk fan. We ate in the acorns restaurant both evenings and apart from a slight mix up night one as my wife has special dietary requirements the food was good however the menu did not change on night two so choice was restricted. Our waitress despite being new (her words not ours) made up any shortfalls in excellent interpersonal skills which helps in all industries. Breakfast in Acorns was a bit manic as the hotel seemed pretty full but improved dramatically when breakfasting in the main restaurant where things seemed a little more organised and leisurely.

This was not a bad experience and on a different time or date may well have hit all of the right spots for us. I'm going to put this down to one of those things and would certainly consider staying again if deciding to venture this far again for a short break.

We had a couple of niggling issues all of which we're dealt with in a timely and professionally manner.

One tip I'm going to offer as I feel this potentially could affect all visitors, please put a "Hot water" notice above the bath tap it was extremely hot when used which could cause issues especially younger children.

Keep working at it as overall this was a nice break and continue with training of you younger staff and I'm sure all will work out fine. Good luck!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A first class stay from start to finish. The hotel is beautiful and the room was one of the finest we've stayed in. The hotel is situated in stunning grounds and conveniently close to lots of interesting locations. The staff were very pleasant and we felt very welcome and relaxed throughout. The spa is excellent and we enjoyed it very much. The highlight had to be the amazing evening meal we had. The quality of food and service is as good as anywhere we've been before. This is an excellent choice for a special weekend away!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Barnet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is our second stay at the hotel and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. We like the location which is great for Eden, Heligan and not far from all the other places in Cornwall. We are very impressed by the service provided by the staff team, they are friendly and professional. The bed is amazing, the balcony is a great outside space to chill and the pool and spa facilities are great. We will be back!
Peter H

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Had one night there, stop over. Nice place, very friendly staff, beautiful rooms, nice pool but.. Poor breaky..? I mean i had far better ones in premier inn... Just wasnt much to choose from n if u are picky eater then oooh not good...But! Still, would stay again. So give it a go.

Stayed July 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one night only, as we went to see Elbow at the Eden Project. It was our first time at the hotel and we had no trouble finding it. It is located in the countryside, with pretty gardens and nice views. The hotel is decorated very nicely and was very clean and tidy. There were lots of staff on hand, who were all very friendly and welcoming. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was one of the lodge style rooms, with a balcony. It was a large room, with a modern bathroom and very tastefully decorated. Bed was lovely and comfortable. We ate in the 'Acorn' restaurant for our evening meal before the gig and it was a very nice meal and reasonably priced. Breakfast was good, with lots of choice. It took us 15 Minutes to get to the Eden Project. Thoroughly recommend staying here and will definitely stay again when we go to the Eden Project.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise S
Ismaning, Germany
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Although the hotel is only 4 years old it is already showing signs of wear and tear. It has the atmosphere of a hotel that the management have given up on. In fact the hotel is currently up for sale. The grounds have been allowed to become overgrown, the view from my balcony was of a piece of waste ground containing discarded building material, the restaurants were shabby and in parts not very clean. I sampled the food by chef Paul Stephens who claims to have trained under Heston Blumenthal, all I can say is he was not paying attention. The food was far from fine dining, being rather ordinary and only just to an acceptable standard. I noticed several of my fellow diners complaining about aspects of their meals.

The room was comfortable but a long, long walk from reception, up stairs and sloping corridors. (Having stairs and sloping corridors is completely unacceptable in a modern hotel.) The balcony like much of the hotel could do with some routine care and attention especially to the peeling paintwork.

Car parking is terrible, as mentioned by another reviewer, a goodly walk from the hotel, up a long flight of steps and through the overgrown gardens. I did notice, on the way, the children's play area with a sand pit more weeds that sand and some interesting tree carvings almost completely covered in vegetation.

Also visited, but did not use, the spar which is in a building separated from the main hotel. As this is Cornwall my visit involved an unpleasant walk in the rain.

The staff were in the main very pleasant, however they were few in number, generally overworked and not well trained.

The public rooms did not seem adequately sized for the size of the hotel and contained a mixture of artwork by a modern artist I did not care for and uninspiring Victorian landscapes

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, it was expensive and very poor value for money. Perhaps when it has changed hands and some professional management has been installed it could become a good hotel again.

Room Tip: Access to all the rooms is difficult for all but the fit and active