“Fabulous Food”

The Waterwheel Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 152 Restaurants in St Austell
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Waterwheel Inn was built in the late 1700s. It is steeped in the industrial history of Cornwall as it was once a tin smelting house and then involved in clay drying. It is set in a beautiful wooded valley next to St Austell's White River and just 10 minutes walk from the town. The restaurant is elegant but informal with exposed granite walls, oak floor and a log fire for cold winter evenings. We serve unpretentious, plentiful, freshly prepared meals including a 2 and 3 course menu for £14.95/£17.50, main meals from £10.95 and an a la carte menu with fresh local fish and seafood specials, plus extra mature chargrilled steaks.
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Had an excellent meal here in the lovely dining room. The decoration is very tasteful and the atmosphere is lovely. We had the set meal two courses for £13.95 for two courses. The portions were very large and although we had a little wait between courses the food was very good, clearly freshly prepared and well worth the wait. I had beef lasagne, garlic bread and salad which was delicious, the salad was so fresh and had a tasty dressing. The hubby had mushroom strognoff with rice and salad which he said was very good too and a tasty veggie option. The desserts were the best ever .... absolutely magnificent, the rasperry and white chocolate cheesecake was divine, probably one of the best things I have tasted in a long while and the treacle tart was served with ice cream and this was absolutely delicious. Also recommended the half carafe of house white wine for £8.00. Great value for money and lovely quality food. Highly recommended :-)

There are newer reviews for The Waterwheel Restaurant

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Great quality food. Good portion size. Great value for money.
Beautiful building that compliments the quality of food. Great food and big portions.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This restaurant never fails to deliver, the food is always great and the atomospher is friendly. The lamb is always very good

1  Thank sly2604
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I have honestly never experienced sevice like it. Warm white wine (no apology), altered meals with no explanation (or apology), long waits between courses (again, no apology).

Was really looking forward to a nice, local meal. Unfortunately we will be looking elsewhere!

2  Thank James r
frithsoken, Owner at The Waterwheel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

I am really sorry that this gentleman found us lacking in May. I am also really astounded that the wine was warm as it comes from a very cold fridge and then served in ice buckets and as I am owner and waitress and also hate unchilled wine I cannot believe that I would have committed such a heinous crime!
If the menu was changed and the service was slow and it was brought to my attention then I am also astounded that I did not apologise. I obviously must improve my apologising skills but it is difficult to practice when I rarely need them.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Had a lovely evening at the Water wheel. The food was excellent. I had an amazing 20oz t-bone steak which was cooked perfectly, No fat or grissel. We were in a party of 6 and the staff made us all feel welcome and everyone agreed this is now one of the best places to eat in our area. Will defiently be returning for another meal.