“Another excellent stay”

Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was our second trip to Boscundle Manor on a travel zoo voucher. The welcome was extremely friendly and we were given a complementary upgrade to the 'Elizabeth' suite. A large cosy room, mainly shabby chic, with all the facilities and a covered porch over looking the grounds. The bed could have slept a family of 6 and one of the comfiest my wife and I have slept on. Definitely recommended if available. Having read other reviews,the decor is a little tired but nothing detracting.
The evening meal was superb. Canapés and a drink in the lounge before dinner and in front of a real log fire. We had a set four course meal with wine. It was faultless.
Breakfast was served in a large conservatory which showed a different aspect of the hotel with a light country feel. This was a small buffet with choice of cooked items. I can definitely recommend the eggs Benedict. Beautifully cooked.
Although we didn't partake in any treatments we were shown round the facilities including a swimming pool, hot tub and full treatments room. Looked very impressive.
This is a wonderful place to stay. It's not a large hotel so is very personal. Helpful welcoming staff. A warm and cosy atmosphere with numerous facilities. Thoroughly recommended. Thank you for a wonderful overnight stay. Greatly appreciated

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was probably our fifth stay, and we loved it!

This time we were in the Elizabeth room which was perfect - our favourite I think - with a balcony opening onto the lawn, close proximity to spa, pool and bath tub, super comfy bed and fabulous shower.

The food was divine, especially the duck starter - congratulations to the team on gaining their well earned 2 AA Rosettes!

Fantastic hosts, great food..... and a wonderful massage by Vicky!

Thanks to the whole team, hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Having previously visited to see the hotel "in the flesh" we were left feeling very flat when we actually stayed. On arrival we were advised we would be in one of the cottages in the grounds. Not really suited to our needs (trekking about on gravel paths as the rain comes down in stair rods is not my idea of pleasure), we were offered the chance to stay in a room if we were willing to pay £10 pppn extra.. We didn't really feel we had a choice. The room we were told sells at £199pn. Looking on their site today, that's not quite accurate!! It's tired, loose fittings, drawers falling out "shabby chic?" Huge bed, but sheets don't quite fit. No toiletries except hand lotion. Fruit delivered to room, 1 orange, 1 badly bruise apple. 1 pack of 2 biscuits. Dinner is over priced in general. Much of our meal was cold & we sent food back. We decided to cut our 2 night stay short & after breakfast requested our bill. We paid & then realised we had been overcharged. The difference was refunded, in cash, from the owner's pocket. In all the hotels I've stayed in I've never been asked to register using a pencil? Visitor's book also uses a pencil!! This place has such potential. Staff were helpful, breakfast lovely, pool & spa facilities are good. Please get the basics right. I'm sorry to say we won't be back, nor do we feel able to recommend it in the light of our experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I had a lovely welcome and an upgrade, which was great. The building is unique and quaint, rooms clean and lounge and bar areas are very tasteful and comfortable. The outside spa was a nice treat and the pool looks good.
On the downside the kettle in my room had rust inside and had not been pat tested since 2006, so I explained to staff and they brought me a hot teapot of water, though they didn't take the kettle. Also one of the plug sockets was in such a poor state of repair and actually moved with the wall as I pressed against it. This looked unsafe to me. It just seemed that the rooms could maybe do with a little finishing touches to make them less tired, but otherwise nice. The DVD player was held behind reception and I had to ask a couple of times for it. It was dated and came with the three av sockets. Though I plugged it in correctly and set it up, it did not work with the tele and I tried every button. (I work in IT so am technically competent).
The food in the restaurant was very nicely presented and though I could taste all the flavours, it was average, nothing really brought the dishes together. I think they might possibly benefit from adjusting the price point, I found the food to be overpriced. A vegetarian main course for £17, which left me hungry is not good value. Even in top London restaurants I do not pay this much. Just looking at the other dishes on the menus, I think mains could all do with being reduced by £5 and that would solve it. Starters and desserts were priced ok and the wine was excellent.
A real highlight for me was the therapist, who gave me a wonderful facial, probably the best I have ever had and I would definitely go back for a facial again. Just a wonderful lady, very talented.
Although the general ambience is very pleasant and the staff are a great credit, and in summary it was a good stay, I think perhaps the owners need to think about bringing the service a little up to date, as it felt a bit stuffy for my liking, for example ordering your meal in the bar first, sitting in narrow high back dated tapestry chairs, having all curtains closed at dinner. Make it a little less formal, open the curtains so you can see the pretty frontage and fairy lights outside and it would feel more relaxing. Sort out the minor quibbles and it could be excellent.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank littlerachet
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Lovely building, lovely staff, lovely room, lovely pool, lovely so
pa, lovely lounge, lovely bar, really lovely staff, great breakfasts, warm, comfortable, peaceful, relaxing, - can you guess i enjoyed it, really can't think of anything negative, oh good value as well

Room Tip: Scarlett lovely and huge.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. The hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. The room was amazing, the leisure facilities great, and the food delightful. All the staff were charming, and couldn't do enough for us.

We don't live too far away, so hope to pay a return visit soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have just returned from the most amazing weekend at Boscundle Manor with my boyfriend. From the moment we walked through the front door we were blown away by the amazing surroundings and welcome of Boscundle Manor by the sounds of the crackling fire and laughter. We were shown to our room- the Louisa which is beautifully decorated and was clean and welcoming! The attention to detail made the visit even more special, the small and large robes hanging in the bathroom were just one example of this!
On friday night we dined at the hotel, wow! The atmosphere and food was excellent! We enjoyed canapes in the bar before being taken to our table in the elegant restaurant! The food was presented beautifully and cooked perfectly!
We then enjoyed a bottle of wine in front of the crackling wood fire-bliss!
The hotel is perfectly located with amenities just a short drive away whilst maintaining the air of tranquility and peace.
The hot tub and pool facilities are excellent with towels provided and the out door hot tub perfect to share a bottle of wine under the stars- perfect!
Breakfast on both mornings maintained the high standards set by dinner the previous night.. the buffet and cooked breakfast menu offered variety and selection for all appetites!
The staff were helpful and friendly from arrival to departure- upon which we were very sad to leave and embark on our journey home.
But, we will certainly be returning for future visits... and I recommend that anyone who hasnt been, should definitely make the trip!
Thankyou to the staff for an excellent weekend!

• Stayed: January 2014
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!