“Great two night break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Callington
“Great two night break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We've just come back from a 2 night break at Boscundle Manor. We found it excellent in all aspects and came away thinking that we'd go back again. One night was on a Travelzoo deal which was excellent value. We stayed in the Elizabeth room, which was very comfortable and, if the weather had been better, we could even have sat outside on our own private patio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CallingtonDParsons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked this break as part of a Waitrose promotion and as we had a wish to see the Eden Project. On our arrival we were delighted to have been upgraded to a suite, after a swim in the indoor pool we enjoyed tea and cake by the fire. All the staff were so helpful and charming, coping well with all our requirements. The room was superb with high quality fittings and the bed comfy, our only small quibble was that the bathroom radiator wasn't working correctly, this they rectified quickly.
Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely delicious with well balanced and seasoned dishes, attentive service - what more could we ask!
Breakfast was great and with great ingredients well cooked, this set us up for a day of exploration around Eden.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a special experience.
It is within walking distance of the Eden Project, handy for the coast and superbly quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: The ideal is to obtain a suite in the main house
2 Thank Peter Y
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked our stay as an xmas gift for my wife and I. Upon arrival we received a complimetary update to the Elizabeth room and was treated to tea and cake beside the fire in the lounge. We found the room to be lovely and also made use of the swimming pool (if i was being picky the pool could of been slightly warmer). As neither of us are keen on a la carte menu's we booked in at the Waves retaurant at the Brittania inn (5 minutes down the road) and would highly recomend it. We had another swim on the sunday morning followed by a very nice cooked breakfast before checking out feeling fully relaxed.

1 Thank paul w
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second trip to Boscundle Manor on a travel zoo voucher. The welcome was extremely friendly and we were given a complementary upgrade to the 'Elizabeth' suite. A large cosy room, mainly shabby chic, with all the facilities and a covered porch over looking the grounds. The bed could have slept a family of 6 and one of the comfiest my wife and I have slept on. Definitely recommended if available. Having read other reviews,the decor is a little tired but nothing detracting.
The evening meal was superb. Canapés and a drink in the lounge before dinner and in front of a real log fire. We had a set four course meal with wine. It was faultless.
Breakfast was served in a large conservatory which showed a different aspect of the hotel with a light country feel. This was a small buffet with choice of cooked items. I can definitely recommend the eggs Benedict. Beautifully cooked.
Although we didn't partake in any treatments we were shown round the facilities including a swimming pool, hot tub and full treatments room. Looked very impressive.
This is a wonderful place to stay. It's not a large hotel so is very personal. Helpful welcoming staff. A warm and cosy atmosphere with numerous facilities. Thoroughly recommended. Thank you for a wonderful overnight stay. Greatly appreciated

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tavistock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was probably our fifth stay, and we loved it!

This time we were in the Elizabeth room which was perfect - our favourite I think - with a balcony opening onto the lawn, close proximity to spa, pool and bath tub, super comfy bed and fabulous shower.

The food was divine, especially the duck starter - congratulations to the team on gaining their well earned 2 AA Rosettes!

Fantastic hosts, great food..... and a wonderful massage by Vicky!

Thanks to the whole team, hope to see you again soon!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Having previously visited to see the hotel "in the flesh" we were left feeling very flat when we actually stayed. On arrival we were advised we would be in one of the cottages in the grounds. Not really suited to our needs (trekking about on gravel paths as the rain comes down in stair rods is not my idea of pleasure), we were offered the chance to stay in a room if we were willing to pay £10 pppn extra.. We didn't really feel we had a choice. The room we were told sells at £199pn. Looking on their site today, that's not quite accurate!! It's tired, loose fittings, drawers falling out "shabby chic?" Huge bed, but sheets don't quite fit. No toiletries except hand lotion. Fruit delivered to room, 1 orange, 1 badly bruise apple. 1 pack of 2 biscuits. Dinner is over priced in general. Much of our meal was cold & we sent food back. We decided to cut our 2 night stay short & after breakfast requested our bill. We paid & then realised we had been overcharged. The difference was refunded, in cash, from the owner's pocket. In all the hotels I've stayed in I've never been asked to register using a pencil? Visitor's book also uses a pencil!! This place has such potential. Staff were helpful, breakfast lovely, pool & spa facilities are good. Please get the basics right. I'm sorry to say we won't be back, nor do we feel able to recommend it in the light of our experience.

1 Thank Wayne S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely welcome and an upgrade, which was great. The building is unique and quaint, rooms clean and lounge and bar areas are very tasteful and comfortable. The outside spa was a nice treat and the pool looks good.
On the downside the kettle in my room had rust inside and had not been pat tested since 2006, so I explained to staff and they brought me a hot teapot of water, though they didn't take the kettle. Also one of the plug sockets was in such a poor state of repair and actually moved with the wall as I pressed against it. This looked unsafe to me. It just seemed that the rooms could maybe do with a little finishing touches to make them less tired, but otherwise nice. The DVD player was held behind reception and I had to ask a couple of times for it. It was dated and came with the three av sockets. Though I plugged it in correctly and set it up, it did not work with the tele and I tried every button. (I work in IT so am technically competent).
The food in the restaurant was very nicely presented and though I could taste all the flavours, it was average, nothing really brought the dishes together. I think they might possibly benefit from adjusting the price point, I found the food to be overpriced. A vegetarian main course for £17, which left me hungry is not good value. Even in top London restaurants I do not pay this much. Just looking at the other dishes on the menus, I think mains could all do with being reduced by £5 and that would solve it. Starters and desserts were priced ok and the wine was excellent.
A real highlight for me was the therapist, who gave me a wonderful facial, probably the best I have ever had and I would definitely go back for a facial again. Just a wonderful lady, very talented.
Although the general ambience is very pleasant and the staff are a great credit, and in summary it was a good stay, I think perhaps the owners need to think about bringing the service a little up to date, as it felt a bit stuffy for my liking, for example ordering your meal in the bar first, sitting in narrow high back dated tapestry chairs, having all curtains closed at dinner. Make it a little less formal, open the curtains so you can see the pretty frontage and fairy lights outside and it would feel more relaxing. Sort out the minor quibbles and it could be excellent.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Charlestown
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 6 in Truro

Been to Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!