From their website the hotel promises so much but fails to deliver these promises. The food and restaurant are both excellent and much of the hotel has benefitted from recent refurbishment to a high specification. Sadly that is where it ends. Staffing appears to be the biggest issue; being cut to miminal to cuts costs with no thought to guest services. We arrived PM on Sunday 5th Sept for 4 nights. The personal greeting by the owners was pleasant but appeared pretentious rather than warm and it became evident it was possibly also through necessity as there were no other members of staff on duty.
We stayed in the Joanna room which looked like it's pictures on the website but did not live up to the quality expected. The en suite has not enjoyed the refurbishment and was looking tired with broken tiles, a badly repaired sink and other signs of old age. We were not advised of the switch for the pump for the Mira shower so endured a trickle for the first day or so. even with the pump in operation the shower was not the best as it was not possible to direct the jet correctly. Although the food was excellent and the canapes a superb touch, dinner on the first evening became overly protracted as there was only one member of staff to man reception, tend the bar and wait at table. Consequently guest service in each of these areas suffered and detracted from one's enjoyment. Booking one's evening meal had to be done at breakfast which removed any chance of spontaneity or flexibility. Often it would only be possible to dine as late as 815pm. This was necessary in order to keep the staff requirements down. The "Day Spa" consists of an indoor swimming pool which was well appointed and a 4 x person hot tub. Unfortunately the hot tub was located outside so was not a relaxing alternative during the horrendous rain endured during the first day of our stay. On checking in we were encouraged to consider massages in the 'spa' room which we duly booked for the following day as both my wife and I were experiencing back and neck problems. Having planned our day around the massages we duly returned a litle over an hour before the allotted time only to be advised 10mins before the appointment that neither massage could go ahead as the therapist was not available. Due to the torrential rain the option of relaxing in the hot tub was out of the question. The hotel is failing to live up to it's own illusions. Buscudle Manor makes a superior Guest House but not the exclusive hotel it considers itself to be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just one mile from Cornwall's famous Eden project and set in 5 acres of its own private, quiet grounds, Boscundle Manor truly is a wonderful oasis in which to relax and unwind. The first thing you notice is that the building really is as pretty as it looks in the pictures and the welcome you get from the staff right through to the complimentary pot of tea and slice of cake, puts you instantly at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Traveltool, S.L.U., Expedia, Book Direct Rooms, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant St Austell
- Boscundle Manor St Austell
- Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant And Spa Cornwall/St Austell