“2 day golf/hotel break with friends” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Carlyon Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
GreenLeadersSilver level
teignmouth
“2 day golf/hotel break with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

4 star hotel with 5 star service and food. Excellent service by young, friendly and energetic staff.
Golf booking well organised and the course in first class condition.
The room was spacious and the views stunning, out of a Cornish novel. Great value for money!

Room Tip: Sea views are a must
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
Plymouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The service was questionable for the status of this hotel. I stayed here with my family in May 2013 for my Father-in-Laws Birthday celebrations. Attention to detail is paramount in hotels of this standing, unfortunately it let me down on the following fronts:

1. Our table in the bar/lounge area was not attended to, consequently we had a number of empty glasses and plates etc. piled at one end of the table. We spent most of the afternoon in here chatting and drinking whilst other members of the party played golf. The staff seemed to do a lot of chatting at the end of the bar.
2. The family room was just a double room with a cot and small child's bed squeezed in beside the double bed, you pay extra for this of course. However, with all four of the family in the room there wasn't much room to maneuver.
3. On checkout there was around £20 extra on my bill for drinks which were not ours. The receptionist questioned this, so much so that they went and got the bar manager who came out with the receipt and told me what I had! Never before in all my traveling days on business or pleasure have I seen such protocol! To be questioned whilst there is a queue of people behind you waiting to check out? I found it highly inappropriate, we were in bed at the time these had been added to our bill anyway, but that isn't the point. As our stay was over £350 for 1 nights dinner bed and breakfast I cannot believe this was even questioned, is this standard procedure? If it is they need to change it.

So I'm afraid I rate this a terrible as I left the hotel feeling terrible......

Room Tip: Check the size of the family room!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank colditzPlymouth
Teddington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Why, Oh why, can't this hotel learn from its sister hotels in Barnstaple, Sidmouth and Falmouth? The rooms are fine, if a bit small, but that's due to the age and design of the building, the beds comfortable, the swimming pool excellent (the changing rooms small) but the service!! I really resent having declined an offer to take dinner in the hotel having been asked over breakfast, the reason why. What business is it of the hotel's? And by the way, I can't even help myself to the cooked breakfast without being told that I must be served my egg first. (The breakfast was fine by the way). and what's more, the ability to sit with friends was a problem as tables had been allocated by room - and it took 15 minutes to have milk replaced on the table. I mustn't forget to mention that a female friend of mine has to change in the bathroom when a chambermain didn't have the courtsey to leave the room for the duration and that I had to chase a bartender three times to serve a group of us in the Green Bar. A second drink requested by us residents before midnight was refused as the bar was closed. I have family based locally and I recall that the hotel was not up to scratch when my late mother's birthday party was held here and I hoped for more. I was very disappointed. And please can you get your reception sorted out, I really don't expect to be told that reservations made in February for November can't be found and someone else needs to be called to sort things out.

1 Thank GastronomeUK
Kenilworth.UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have been visiting Carlyon Bay Hotel for some 10 years or more on a regular basis, with my wife. For many years we enjoyed good service, good food and the golf. However our most recent stay in September was very disappointing. We both felt that over the past few years the standard of service has been slipping particularly in the dinning room and the lounge. There has also been an evident rearrangement of the dining room to accommodate more diners. Overall the dining experience was poor although food standards remain generally high.

As a result of our most recent experience we thought it appropriate to write to the hotel general manager and outline our views. His comments were invited. The letter was dated 1st October. We still await the courtesy of a reply!

Standards slipping?

Alasdair and Jackie Jones

Room Tip: Regrettably you will have to stump up the extra cash to get a reasonable sized room. Don't be fo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alasdair_jones1
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs Jones

Thank you for your review, may I first apologise for the apparent discourtesy of not reply to your letter, however as I explained during our telephone call your review was the first I was aware having not received your letter, we do apologise for this. It was good to talk through you comments as I feel any feedback is very valuable and rest assured I have already taken steps to rectify the issues you identified. Once again thank you for your constructive comments and I look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to Carlyon Bay in the future.

Mr Peter Brennan
merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

we stayed here 2 nights 3rd 4th november, booked a deluxe double with sea view, its just superb cant find anything at fault and i must admit i do look for faults, from the staff who cant do enough for you really, to the food which is outstanding!, the hotel itself, location is superb and the hotel owners obviously put alot of its profits back into maintainance and keepimg it looking great unlike alot of other so called 4 star hotels who just take the money and let the upkeep slip away which is a regular thing we see,. we stay in lots of four and 5 star hotels up and down the country and when you want a quality "4"star hotel look no further if your visiting st austell,,the hall of fame of celebretys who have stayed there including princess di and charlie, you will not be dissapointed,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

A lovely setting, generally helpful staff except dining room, excellent breakfast, free WIFI....... but a few niggles stop it being a 5 star rating on this occasion.

These are:
1. Really hard pillows, despite guff in the hotel information about superb pillow options. I asked for a change but the new ones were no better.
2. Spa was excellent with really nice pool, but very pokey men's changing room
3. No flexibility over where to sit in the restaurant and although we were with 3 other people we could not sit with them for Sunday breakfast despite asking.
4.Paid an extra £20 per night for sea view but windows were small and given it was winter this was not worth it. Room was not big enough to sit in to admire the view anyway
5.Some agro in the booking process about the deposit that had been paid, which had to be sorted out and took time to do so.

The price included a round of golf a day, which we did not use and full use of the Spa, which I used for half and hour. If one were to make full use of these and had an inland room for £65 pp. per night then it would be a bargain, and certainly 5 star, despite the niggles.

Room Tip: It is not worth paying the extra for a sea view if you go in winter and are out during the day. Room...
1 Thank DeCoucey
Knowle, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

My family has been coming to the Hotel for over 25 years and myself 15. Every time we come to stay it feels like a second home, the staff are brilliant and the food is exceptional! From the moment you arrive at the hotel you are greeted by wonderful staff who treat you like royalty. The whole of the Carlyon Bay staff are brilliant and the hotel is a pleasure to stay in!

Room Tip: A sea view just makes those early mornings beautiful
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
The Old Quay House Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!