“Excellent service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the Christmas period. We cannot speak too highly of the service we received, my husband had a severe stroke early last year and was in a wheelchair for our stay at the hotel. Everyone was so very helpful without being patronising to my husband. I'd like to mention the concierge who was fantastic also the restaurant manager, they were both really really helpful and made our stay so great.
The food was wonderful, the room was a little small but that was our fault as we wanted a walk in shower and this was only available in the standard room.
We will definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Polish first
Gloucester
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Family and friends were staying here for a few nights and I was invited to dine with them,
I was told in advance that we would be eating in the Bay View Restaurant so I knew that Smart Dress was required, and the fact that everyone makes an effort to dress smartly for Dinner makes it feel such a special place.

I ate from the Table D' hote menu and was very pleased with everything I choose. Various breads were in plentiful supply, my favourite was the Rye Bread, Before our starters arrived we were offered to sample a type of fish risotto which was nice. For starters I had the artichoke and cheese salad which was not too large a portion and very tasty. My main was blade of beef with seasonal vegetables. Dessert choice was Artisan West Country Cheeses which I just about managed to finish as by now I was extremely full. This was all followed by tea / coffee served in the lounge.

The hotel looks impressive with it Art Deco staircase and entrance, all staff are friendly and cant do enough for you. I would certainly dine here again as a non resident.

Great venue, Great location, Superb food and friendly efficient staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

When working we often put our chaps up here so when passing we thought it would be a good idea to drop by for a hot drink. The terrace is less formal and quite cosy so we ordered the Cornish cream tea,splendid value at less than £8.
Service friendly and welcoming but we always found this with the Brend group,so if you are in North Devon or Exeter drop in I am sure you will enjoy and it does not break the bank as some Pub's do today.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The service is wonderful, the staff are helpful, friendly and always have time for you. We had the delicious dinner and retired toa sea-view room with a relaxing view of the ocean. The double room was not very spacious but good enough and clean.

The issues that spoiled our stay were that our room was too warm even with the windows open and the heating switched off. We woke up sweating in the middle of the night and did not sleep well at all. Even when we managed to sleep it was not long before at around 7/8am There was the noise of several passer bys in the hallway, speaking to each other, shutting doors.. It just went on, then there were footsteps in the room above(which is a problem we try to get away from in the apartments we live in!) unfortunately all this lead to a disruptive, broken and tiring sleep. We just about woke up tired, not rejuvenated, just in time to shuffle down for breakfast before its end.

Breakfast was alright, the food was nice but very rich, too rich.

The spa is recommended, a good pool and jaccuzi, sauna and steam rooms. There were no treatment slots available as it was valentines weekend so make sure you book ahead!

Also there is a nice walk with views of the sea over the cliff that the hotel sits on.

All in all nice but shame about the lack in a good nights sleep on a weekend off from work !

Room Tip: Get a seaview!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel lovely position amazing food etc think we may have got carlyon bay hotel on one of them bad days a few problems nothing serious but when u want a smooth stay it always seems worse but the management was always polite and keen to resolve issues so many thanks to them :))))

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We took advantage of a special DBB offer and from the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome. The reception staff were helpful, efficient, and above all friendly. We were upgraded to the Duchess suite which was a real treat. The position of this hotel is fantastic the facilities superb and the staff universally good. I had forgotten my tights and when I asked at reception for directions to a shop where I could purchase some, the young lady kindly offered to get them for me, the tights were duly delivered to our room a couple of hours later, now that's service! The food at dinner was excellent as was the extensive wine list. We had a wonderful time and will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed there last weekend 1st and 2nd Feb for my birthday treat from my husband. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left, we were made to feel very special. The staff are wonderful, so attentive to little details. Greated at reception with the receptionist saying 'Its someone's birthday so we have upgraded your room', the room we were given was sea facing with 2 large windows and simply lovely. Lots of little treats left for us, spotlessley clean and big fluffy white robes to wear. We had afternoon tea priced at £15 each, but quickly realised we should have only ordered one, as there was so much to eat we had to put dinner back an hour. Again the waitress when we sat down to dinner (which was wonderful) said 'isnt it someone's birthday' and when my dessert arrived the chef had written in chocolate a large 'Happy Birthday' on the plate, a lovely little touch. Afterwards, they had a live duo in the lounge bar so even managed a dance or two together with the very nice cocktails we tried out again and again. On Sunday morning we had more of the Spa treatments, my husband had his first facial and head massage and loved it. I had the body scrub, facial (best ever), manicure and eyebrow tint all with 'Josie' who was one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. Our spa treatments went over our checking our time of 11am, but again the receptionist said, 'dont worry, just stay until 1.00pm. All I can say is WELL DONE THE CARLYON BAY HOTEL, your hotel and staff are wonderful. Linda and Graham Clay.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing and try 141.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!