“Like a fantastic dream”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Like a fantastic dream”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My first experience of the Carlyon Bay was exceedingly good. Service by the girl at the pool was warm, efficient and friendly. We had a crab sandwich and tea in the sun. I stayed in a twin room with my mum and it was spotless. After dinner at the Clubhouse we finished the day with a cocktail in the lounge. I shall be back next year!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca G
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Wow, thank you for your kind words. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service in all areas of the hotel and I'm delighted to read in your review that this was experience by you and your Mum during your recent stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Polish first
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the Csrlyon Bay Hotel for a three night mini break. I couldn't find fault with anything - we were upgraded to a deluxe sea view room which was wonderful. All the little touches you would expect from a five star hotel. Wonderful food, very pleasant staff and great golf course. Came home feeling as if we'd had a week away not just three nights. Can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a sea view room.
1 Thank Maureen B
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Carlyon Bay Hotel, we are delighted to hear you had a fantastic mini break with us and that we were able to upgrade your room, we hope that you enjoyed our deluxe VIP package which is new to the hotel this year. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having stayed in hotels all over Britain and abroad it was truly thrilling to share a weekend away with my wife Mary and dear family friend Sue at the distinctive Carlyon Bay Hotel. We can vouch for all the positive things said on TripAdvisor. The exceptionally comfortable lounge area, good food in the Restaurant, (we didn't have time to visit 'The Taste') and of course the personal service from all the staff.

Wherever we were in the hotel, reception, the pool terrace, lounge or restaurant waiting staff and managers smiled and could not do more to make us welcome. Truly refreshing.

Other reviews have mentioned requesting sea-views from their restaurant table. I would mention that tables in the main body of the restaurant are also very desirable and have tasteful glass screen partitions which I felt added a degree of very welcome privacy to a meal.

Our first floor twin-bedded sea-facing room 118 was spotlessly clean and I would complement all those hardworking people behind the scenes for their unseen efforts. Our beds were turned back each night and a chocolate placed to finish the evening. As it was a warm weekend the electric fan proved very useful. (For a slight reservation please see 'Room Tips' below.)

Carlyon Bay has much to offer the more active including a 9-hole golf course not often mentioned in reviews. Don't be shy, have a go!! Took me about an hour. It is quite challenging with narrow fairways requiring a degree of accuracy! I lost four balls. If you have never played before, the Hotel provides a bag full of 7-irons, putters and balls beside the terrace door. Left-handed people will find clubs to suit them too. Very generous I felt.

I walked for 5 minutes to reach the 'real' golf course. It looked wonderful! Whilst there I had a drink in the clubhouse and just watched the golfing world go by. I was able to see the first tee and experienced putters practicing on an immaculate green.

Fortunate is the traveller who visits this Brend Group hotel. In some ways it was like stepping back into a more tranquil and relaxing era. I am certain that as the Hotel Group is Family run this adds to the commitment of all who work at Carlyon Bay. The hotel can truly claim to be one of the best in the West Country .. .. or anywhere else for that matter. We will return again soon.

I do hope you find this review helpful and reassuring.

Room Tip: Sea-View Rooms a must. Room 118 is immediately above a ground-floor extractor fan, possible from a k...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your very touching feedback. Your detailed and descriptive review makes for a very interesting read and i am sure potential travellers will find this most helpful when considering the Carlyon Bay Hotel for a future stay.
Your reference to “The hotel can truly claim to be one of the best in the West Country .. .. or anywhere else for that matter.” Is extremely pleasing to read and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
We will look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlyon Bay Hotel or any of our Brend Hotels again in the future.
Once again, thank you for such a beautifully written review.
Barton-under-Needwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I have stayed at Carlyon Bay twice every year for the last 10 years and have always been impressed by the Food and service. This year we found everything has reached a very high standard. In particular we found the restaurant manager (Gindas) most welcoming, charming and efficient. The whole stay was an absolute joy and we've already booked to return in September. Thank you Carlyon Bay. Keep up the good work and we'll see you in a few weeks. Geoff & Chris S.

Room Tip: High level sea view always
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for such a fantastic review, we are delighted to hear that you have been enjoying your stay here at the Carlyon Bay Hotel for over 10 years. It is always a pleasure to welcome you both back to the hotel and we will look forward to your next visit in September. Once again thank you for your excellent feedback, i will be sure to pass your comments onto our management team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great family stay at the Carlyon bay hotel, my daughter thought that we were in another country!!! My 2 children, my wife and I stayed for a week and it was thoroughly enjoyable, the hotel was immaculate and I was shocked to find out it was only a four star hotel, we certainly had a five star experience. The views were amazing across the bay especially from our sea view room, to which we were upgraded to without even asking.
The food was great, if a little away from what im used to but it was pleasantly surprising.
I'm not a golfer but I would recommend a round or two if not just for the amazing walk along the cliff tops, my wife loved the spa even more so that she had 3 visits, it was a world away from the everyday life of London.
To sum up.....a great hotel, great staff and a stellar service, we will definitely be coming back next year.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room, it is amazing when you wake up and open the curtains
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review of your family break, here at the Carlyon Bay Hotel. We were delighted to read that your break was enjoyed by the whole family. Your comment regarding your “5 star experience“is very pleasing to hear and we are very grateful for your feedback, we will look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again next year. Once again thank you for your review.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Everything about our recent stay with you was exactly as one would expect from a hotel of your standing.
Restaurant staff and food excellent.
Rooms and service as always exceptional.
Golf course in pristine condition and very welcoming.
Thank you all very much, we will be back again soon.

Room Tip: Sea views are ecellent
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your comments, it is very pleasing to hear that you have had such an enjoyable experience with us, your comments will be passed onto each of the departments mentioned in your review, I know this feedback will be very rewarding for them. June is without doubt a fantastic time for golf, we were very glad to hear you felt the course was in pristine condition. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a lovely weekend stay with my girlfriend. The room was clean and spacious and the location of the hotel is amazing. Great view! The hotel staff was really friendly and offered the best service at all times. One of my best hotel experiences in a very long time. We'll be back for sure!

1 Thank Morten W
Thank you for your fantastic feedback, your comments will be much appreciated by the team. We are very lucky to have our unique cliff top position and i couldn’t agree more the views are great. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
#2 of 3 in Fowey
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!