“Eden Project”

The Carlyon Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel is perfect if you wish to see a gig at the Eden project. It is advisable to book a return taxi from the hotel to the project as it works out cheaper than buses from town as you will need a taxi to and from town.

1  Thank Anthony J
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We hope that you enjoyed the Sessions at the Eden Project. We will be more than happy to arrange a taxi for you if you come for future events, we use a fantastic local firm often and all our guests have been happy with the service they provide. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed for one night in May as a surprise for my husband's birthday and I can not fault the hotel in any way. The staff are so friendly yet remain very efficient. The hotel is beautiful, clean and in a wonderful location. We had a sea view room and this was also clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. We had afternoon tea, evening meal and breakfast and these were all delicious and the service perfect. Being naïve and a non golfer I made a mistake and did not book a tee time in advance for my husband's round of golf and the course was very busy. He was unable to play during our stay and this caused disappointment. I mentioned this to Ms Hetherington and Mr Brennan (Managers) and they offered a complimentary round of golf for my husband and a partner which they both enjoyed last week. I feel this is amazing service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: It is worth having a sea view room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review. I was delighted to read of your stay with us, especially your comments about the beautifully decorated bedrooms and friendly yet efficient staff. We always advise to book in advance to guarantee your booking and tee time, I was happy to read that your partner was able to enjoy his round of golf at a later stage. We hope to welcome you both back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just had a two night stay, the hotel staff were warm and friendly. We were given a warm welcome. We arrived an hour or so before check in so had to wait a while but that was ok. We upgraded to a sea view room which was lovely first thing in the morning. We found the hotel to be very clean and well cared for. Our room was a good size and very well presented.
The brasserie was a bit disappointing not a great choice of inspired dishes. It was very dark and on a beautiful Summer evening it felt odd being in a dark restaurant. The staff in the Brasserie were very friendly and gave great service.
The breakfast was a standard buffet style with no outstanding elements. The toast was not very good it was poor quality thin sliced bread, the croissants were awful, they were large awful puffs of tasteless pastry yuk yuk.
The service after dinner in the main lounge was good again warm and friendly, however there did not appear to be many staff on so service was slow when ordering drinks.
We had spa treatments the staff there were very professional and gave us a good massage.
The hotel is in a beautiful location with lovely walks and amenities not that far away.
We really enjoyed our stay and we will return.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a really good choice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us. I do hope you were able to take a stroll on the coastal path which runs right along the front of the hotel, the views are beautiful from there. I'm sorry to hear that your dining experience was disappointing. The Taste brassiere offers a different dining experience to the Bay View restaurant which is why we give guests the opportunity to choose which they would prefer. Your comments about breakfast have been passed onto our head chef and restaurant team, so this can be investigated further. I was pleased to read about your treatment in the spa, our spa team are always working towards new qualifications and speciality treatments, so next time there may be something new to choose, such as our “Lava Shell” range! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

For a great stay in Cornwall you should book, you won't be disappointed. The hotel staff are very polite and helpful, the spa very clean and modern and the room, which we had upgraded for free with a lovely sea view was a good size and very clean

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm sure it will be very encouraging for guests looking to book a stay. I'm was pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience in our spa it is a wonderful place to relax and with the option of using our outdoor pool its the perfect place to unwind and watch the world go by.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

found hotel clean and the staff very friendly ,evening meal in restaurant was excellent and also the breakfast ,the staff in the spa bar and restaurant could not do enough to help and made us feel very comfortable and relaxed ,the only thing is that I suffer from back pains and the mattress felt like a herd of elephants ran down the middle of it so I kept rolling back to the middle which resulted to a poor nights sleep ,other then that would return no problem and would recommend this hotel to family and friends on my return I will ask if they have a firmer mattress.

Room Tip: sea view a must
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for writing a review following your stay. I was pleased to read about you impression of our very friendly staff and also your “excellent” evening meal in the restaurant. I was sorry to hear of your back problems, i can assure you our mattresses are regularly reviewed. Please do speak to our reservations team when placing future bookings who will be happy to try and fulfil any requests you may have. We shall look forward to welcoming you here in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was our third visit to the hotel and I must say we are never disappointed. The location is stunning and, as golfers, we feel you would be hard pressed to find a more spectacular course than that at Carlyon Bay. The accommodation, the food and the standard of service are second to none and the facilities offer something for everyone. The staff are friendly, efficient and very professional with nothing being too much trouble. We will certainly be spending more holidays there, it is worth the effort of the long journey from Manchester. We had a 7 night stay in a deluxe room with fabulous views, it was everything we wanted.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and all of your wonderful comments. Our championship golf course is extremely popular with our regular guests and local members. Its diversity sets it apart from the rest with spectacular views over St Austell bay. We hope that when you return to stay you will have an even better experience!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Have just returned from a three night stay, to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. Upon arrival we were told that our room was not ready and would we like to store our luggage in their secure locked room, we handed it over to the doorman, who took it away. We returned about 2 hours later, after having some lunch, to find our luggage left un-supervised in a busy corridor near the restaurant . When we went back to reception they re took our luggage, saying it should have been locked away and they would send it up to our room once it was ready, they didn't really apologise and we didn't make a fuss. However, on our last day the weather changed and my wife went to put on her Ralph Lauren Cardigan/jacket but couldn't find it. The weather had been beautiful and she was sure that she hadn't worn it. To be on the safe side we went to reception to ask if she had left it anywhere and if it had been handed in. We were told to come back in 20 minutes so that receptionist could phone all the various departments and personally check the lost property. Upon our return we were told that sadly it had not been handed in. My wife then said that she didn't think that she had worn it anyway, but had definitely bought it, and maybe it went missing when our luggage was left untended. I then mentioned CCTV. The receptionist then went away and returned in seconds with my wife's cardigan/jacket which she said she had just found behind a pile of boxes!!! On a positive note, the food was excellent, although the service was poor. The spa and pools were lovely and spotlessly clean and the treatments and service my wife received in the spa were excellent. I would just recommend that you keep your luggage with you or store it in your car if your room is not ready when you arrive.

4  Thank Tom K

Thank you for your review. We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed the spa and pools during your stay and I was also very happy to hear that your wife enjoyed the spa treatments. I apologise for any confusion over your luggage and your wife’s cardigan, however i was pleased to hear that it was later found. I will pass the comments about this onto our management team, where this will be investigated further. We hope to welcome you back to The Carlyon Bay Hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!