“Fantastic experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The location is superb and was very close to the beach and city centre. We had a wonderful time all through our stay (7 nights). The food was delicious and service was great. We cannot fault the hotel and will definately recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
I was delighted to hear that you have had such a pleasant stay with us, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We were thrilled that you found no faults with the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Polish first
Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

It is not often a hotel can be described as caring, but when on my recent visit I arrived with a back injury, the staff were so kind, helpful and understanding that I must commend them. The hotel had families staying and yet there was so much to occupy the children that they were a pleasure to have around. The hotel facilities are excellent and everything in wonderful order.
A happy hotel full of happy customers. Excellent restaurant.
This is indeed a four star hotel, and the Brend Group of hotels, most of which I have been to are all well run and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: You don't need a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for such wonderful feedback, i was delighted to hear that you have been so well looked after during your stay with us. We aim to provide a great balance for our residents, with plenty for everyone to enjoy. Families are well catered for especially during the holiday periods when we have our supervised Funzone available, this also gives parents a fantastic opportunity to enjoy some peace and quiet in one of our relaxing lounge areas. Your reference to “A hotel full of happy customers” is very pleasing to read and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A superb setting overlooking the bay with a stunning view but not ideal for a beach holiday as not so readily accessed as you may think and no amenities. We have visited this hotel several times and always found the staff friendly and exceptionally helpful, the food excellent, the hotel very clean and well maintained and always received a warm and friendly welcome with excellent leisure facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I was delighted that you enjoyed the stunning views over the Bay, they are fantastic. Thank you for leaving your review. We do offer free buggy rides to our beach of Carlyon Cove, bucket, spades and fishing nets are all available down there and picnic lunches are available to purchase from the hotel, free picnics are available for children. There are also toilet facilities on site however there are no shops or restaurants. The reception team are always on hand to advise on local attractions, best beaches and popular restaurants. I was very happy to hear that you have always received a warm and friendly welcome here at The Carlyon Bay Hotel and we hope that you will return again soon.
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The position and traditional style of the hotel suggest that the experience of staying there will be exceptional but in fact there are a number of disappointing aspects which inevitably leave the impression that it is overpriced. Golfers have an advantage with the free daily round.

Room Tip: Try to avoid staying when there are weddings.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review, the hotel is beautifully positioned and we are very lucky to have such a unique cliff top setting. I was disappointed to read that there were a number of disappointing aspects during your stay. Here at the hotel we have a very dedicated management team who will do whatever they can to ensure guests have a pleasant and memorable stay with us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Carlyon Bay Hotel.
Roldan, Spain
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel overlooks Carlyon bay near St Austell, the views are amazing and you can walk along the coastal path directly from the hotel. The whole hotel is kept in excellent order, especially the gardens where there is a small 9 hole pitch and putt golf course which is good fun and free to play. All the staff especially the restaurant staff are very friendly and can not do enough to make sure you are well catered for. The food was also of excellent quality and service was quick and efficient even when the restaurant was completely full.

We were only there for 2 nights mainly to play the golf course (also excellent), so did not see much of the surrounding area, in the evenings there was enough to do at the hotel (snooker, table tennis, entertainment).

The only negative was that we had a room with an interconnecting door to another room, and one night our neighbor's were chatting and watching tv until 1.30am, and we could literally hear every word.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not connected to another via an interconnecting door, it is like your neighbo...
1 Thank karen p
Your feedback is very valuable to us, so thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very pleased to read that you felt the hotel is kept in excellent order and i will be sure to pass your comments on about how well our gardens are kept to Neil, our gardener – he will be thrilled to hear this. The views from the hotel are stunning and if you want to get a even closer to the cliff edge the coastal paths provides fantastic walks, just 30 minute stroll to the port of Charlestown. Your comments with regards to your room will be passed onto our management team so we can make improvements where possible. Thank you for your wounderful comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Let me start by saying what a wonderful surprise this hotel was!

My husband and I arrived around midnight and the night reception/porter was there to greet us.

The hotel is facing a Carlyon bay and it has marvelous views. It has been run by Brend’s family (not Brent, Brend). Mrs Brend was the original owner and her sons are now managing the hotel chain. The location is not exactly close to the town but it is approximately 20 minutes walk (either you can use the road or [ this is better] you can follow a small path at the hotels perimeter along parallel to the sea).

THE ROOM: When we arrived, we were given a room that was not what we had paid for. As a result we requested to be moved and the hotel obliged. Like all the other staff, the lady in the Guests Relations (I think her name was Katy) was very polite, kind, considerate and professional. She made the arrangements to move us to another room without us lifting a finger.
The very first think I noticed entering the new room was a large bouquet of sweet-smell of freshly cut lilies in a vase left at the side table. The room was filled with perfume! We woke to this aroma/ambiance every morning. There was also a champagne left in an ice bucket accompanied with a lovely card from the Hotel’s Guests Relations. They were apologizing for inconveniencing us for the room (I still keep the Champagne :)).

The new room was large enough, perfectly clean, had a comfortable bed and pleasing décor and a beautiful sea view. I had asked the concierge to place a mini bar in the room, they did. The cafetier in the room was perfect, the tray a small kettle, variety of tea/coffees and tasty cookies :)). The only problem with the room was a division wall. It was sadly thin and we could hear the noise of our neighbour’s kids. One nigh it was so noisy (baby cried all night) we had to sleep in another room for that night.

SPA: The spa-pool was large enough, clean with a small water fall and an adjacent hot tub. The water was not too cold, not too warm, perfect. There was also a Jacuzzi and a gym but we did not use it.

MINI GOLF: If you like me who do not know how to play golf, you may try mini-golf in the hotel’s grounds. It was fun.

FOOD: We did not have lunch in the hotel but the breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner were all fine. The portion sizes were perfect (neither too large, nor meager) but what it also made a different was, the service! I am on a special gluten free diet and what I can eat is limited. However the Hotel did their best to accommodate my culinary needs. I had grilled fish specially prepared for me every breakfast.

Having said that, our stay was not all smooth but whatever the problem, it was rectified. For instance; the first day of our stay, I could not have my boiled eggs at breakfast. I had mentioned this to the reception. After that point every staff had been informed that I was on a special diet. It was as if I was on a watch list , every staff knew our name, our needs and did their best to satisfy us.

ENTERTAINMENT: Every evening there was some entertainment in the hotel’s lounge and bar area. One night it was disco, the next night it was casino etc.. But they were all low key, there was hardly any noise disturbing us. One evening one of the guests played the Hotel’s piano. What a wonderful that was..

NICETIES: Plenty! Every afternoon we found a little pre-dinner aperitif (a mini canapé or mini cakes) left in our room at the side table. Every evening, we found “good night-sleep tight” chocolates left on our pillows. One evening my husband and I decided to dine in the town in a restaurant who was supposedly 2 rosettes ( Oh what a disaster that was! please see my reviews on this restaurant called “ Austell’s ”). We were so disappointed with the restaurant that we left without eating and came back to the hotel. It was around 10:00 pm then, I was famished but the Hotel’s chef quickly made me a wonderful selection of sandwiches and a little cake to cheer me up. Soon I forgot my sorrow . Yes, this is the kind of gestures/ niceties and consideration you receive from Carlyon Bay Hotel!

AFTERNOON TEA: The selection of cakes can be made better. But the best strawberry jam and clotted cream I have ever tasted (this includes Claridges Hotel in London – please see my reviews on their afternoon tea). In fact the waiter (head waiter in the bar area) came to check if we were given the correct strawberry jam and when he realized that we were not, he apologized and gave us the one, it was delicious!

MY HUSBAND’S COMMENT ABOUT THE FINAL BILL: The last day after he paid the bill my husband said to me: “I feel I have not being ripped off!”. It says a lot about a Hotel I think..

BOTTOM LINE: Carlyon Bay Hotel is no way the largest or the most luxuries hotel we stayed, but because of the kindness, care and considerate-customer service, they get our top mark! Would we come again! Oh definitely!

Room Tip: Do not get a room with a division door, you will hear every word your next door uttered!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful and informative review, i am sure other travellers reading your review will find it most helpful. I am very happy to hear that the Carlyon Bay Hotel has been a “wonderful surprise” for you. You have made some lovely references to many different aspects of the hotel and i am delighted you have had such a positive experience with us. The staff here at the hotel are all very passionate about ensuring our guests have fantastic stay with us and I was very pleased to read that this has been the case. Awarding us with “top marks” for the kindness, care and consideration of the customer service is extremely reassuring and I am sure the management and staff will also agree. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Upon arrival a uniformed doorman opened my partner’s door of the taxi but made no further attempt to help us. We were not offered assistance with luggage and were cursorily waved in the direction of reception. This was our first visit and the porch and entrance hall was congested by a large wedding party so it would have been useful to have been navigated through that. Instead we were made to feel that we were an inconvenience.

Having arrived at 12.45 our priority was lunch but thanks to said wedding the main bar was unavailable, as was the garden beyond. We were dispatched to the Spa Bar, where the terrace had a view of a mini golf course. To quote the hotel website “sea views will take your breath away.” I can confirm that the view of the mini golf course from the terrace of the Spa Bar does not take one’s breath away.

Again the wedding had precedence over hotel guests. When later we were able to inspect the grounds freely, we found a nice sea view from the garden to which we had been denied access. Alas, much of the rest of the 250 acres is dominated by an 18-hole “championship” golf course.

We should have been warned that this is a place to go for golf, mini golf, swimming pools, a spa, even on our upper floor (where overnight a chid’s buggy was parked in the main corridor) a nail salon; for character, sophistication and elegant surroundings there are other destinations in the area.

My partner ordered an omelette for lunch; the ingredients were fine but, not having been cooked properly, it was dry on top. I ordered the mussels and bread. Although this was Cornwall there were no mussels available. I ordered a crab sandwich instead. When it arrived a lady at the next table said, “I had one of those yesterday - all I could taste was mango and mayo: can you taste any crab?” She had a point.

Wishing to refill our glasses, we discovered that staff standing nearby were more attentive to each other than to the needs of their customers. A gentleman at the next table advised us that the only way to avoid frustration was to go to the bar oneself. The remainder of our stay confirmed that to be the case.

Once able to access our room the telephone didn’t work, the kettle lid didn’t close and one of our packets of complimentary biscuits had been opened, to be robbed of half its content. The sea view from the room was nice enough but by now we had had enough of a supposed four star hotel and headed out elsewhere. One shudders to think what an evening meal here might have been like...

Returning around 10.00 pm we found our room to have been turned down. The cushions and pillows had been rearranged and a chocolate plonked on each pillow - I say plonked since there had been no attempt to smooth out the pillows beforehand. I am not worried either way about a turn down service but if you are going to do it, do it properly. To me that vignette sums up our entire experience of the Carlyon Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: Check Fowey for sophisticated hotels...
6 Thank zeppo p
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I believe our General Manager Peter Brennan has been in contact with you privately, about many of the issues raised in your review and I also believe our doorman apologised in person for not offering assistance with your luggage.
We were very disappointed by some of the issues raised in your review and I can assure you this is not usual practice here at the Carlyon Bay Hotel.
We do cater for weddings here however this is kept very separate to reduce any inconvenience to our residents or to our wedding party. I am sorry that on this occasion you found this to be a problem.
With regards to your comment of being disappointed about not being warned of the hotels facilities, we do apologise. The hotel website and the literature make reference to the extensive spa & leisure facilities we have available here at the hotel.
Recently we have had some exceptional weather and unfortunately due to the high climate there has been a shortage in the mussel supply throughout Cornwall.
We value all guest feedback it plays an essential part in our development here at the Carlyon Bay Hotel, so thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!