“Summer 10 day break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chatteris, United Kingdom
“Summer 10 day break”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Totally pampered, staff amazing, very quickly relaxed and we're totally refreshed when sadly the time came to leave. Food excellent and superb in every way.
One minor addition to the fantastic package would be a hairdressers. Room with stunning views of the sea . Extremely clean. Will come again. Thank you for a great 10 day holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Julian1954
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
5 out of 5 – thank you for your wonderful review. I was thrilled to hear that you have had such a pleasant 10 day Summer break with us. Your feedback is very important to us and it is very reassuring to read you felt the hotel was “superb in every way”. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Polish first
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent venue as a golf and spa facility. Everything during our short stay was to a high standard. It is advisable to book any spa treatments you may want and also the tee off time for golf. The outside pool was lovely it did help that we had good weather. My only criticism was there was insufficient sun beds when other selfish guests seemed to be allowed to reserve them with towels without being in the pool area. Some rooms are a little on the small side but not really a problem for a short stay. We were grateful for the fan provided in the room. Food was all very good and half board included in the package. If you wanted to pay extra for items not included, this was priced fairly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we were delighted to read your comments. Due to the fantastic weather we have been having, there has been a need to increase the amount of sun loungers and this has been addressed, an additional 10 have been purchased, so thank you for your valuable feedback. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Wednesday 18 June 14, we arrived at 11.00 am and was greeted by the Spa Manager who showed us to the spa and explained the details of our day to us, and she gave us complementary bath robes, slippers and lovely soft white fluffy towels for us to use throughout our day at the spa.

The Carlyon Bay Hotels Spa Facilities included and indoor pool, and outdoor heated pool with views across St Austell Bay, Hydrotherapy Spa Bath, Heated Stone Loungers, Sauna, Steam Room, Experience Shower, poolside loungers, Treatment rooms, Fitness Studio, Nail Studio and Spa Bar.

We went into the well appointed changing rooms with lockers to keep our clothes and toiltetries in and changed into our swimming gear. We came out into the indoor heated swimming area; the décor was light and spacious with soft mellow lighting and a large lovely pool with steps leading down into the warm water.

We decided as it was such a hot and sunny day to start by going for a swim in the outdoor heated pool. It was a wonderful experience to swim outside in the sunshine with lovely views over the bay. Afterwards we lounged on the sun loungers around the pool and had a large glass of iced mineral water. The poolside gardens were lovely and all the flowers were in bloom, it was such a relaxing place to be.

We then went indoors for a dip in the indoor pool with the spa fountain at the end of the pool. We both then headed for the bubbling Jacuzzi Spa pool, to ease our tired muscles. The spa was really hot and very relaxing and the bubbles bashed all the remaining tension out of our tired muscles. We had the whole spa pool to ourselves which was lovely. We wallowed here for 45 minutes. My husband then went for a Sauna, whilst I lazed on the lovely hot stone loungers and then we had a quick shower before we were called in for our treatments.

My husband had the Golfer's Treat Package, which was a soothing foot bath and massage to ease tired feet and leg muscles and a deep tissue Aromatherapy neck, back and shoulder massage. When my husband returned he said he felt very relaxed and chilled.

I had a Pure Bliss Treatment. Megan my therapist took me to a soft low lighted room with soft peaceful music and the scents of the oils in the air was wonderful. She did me a wonderfully relaxing massage and eased all the tension out of my body. After this I had an Elemis Skin Solutions Deluxe Facial, which meant my skin was exfoliated, cleaned, face masked, toned and moisturised and included the use of warm scrub mitts on my face - this was a nice experience.

To complete the experience I had a Deluxe Pedicure - My feet were soaked in warm rose water, pumiced with a green clay which removed all the dead skin, soaked again, massaged, my cuticles creamed and soaked again and then my toenails were trimmed and painted with a nice soft pink sparkly nail polish. At the end of my time I felt truly pampered and very spoilt and very much a new woman.

My husband and I then dressed for dinner. We then were served to a delicious meal in the 4 Star AA Awarded 'Bay View Restaurant', which overlooked St Austell Bay. The restaurant was decorated in a rich royal blue with lovely wide open windows. The tables had lovely white linen tablecloths with royal blue napkins. All tables had white scented lilies on them, which gave out a lovely fragrant perfume. Our table had been decorated with ribbons and red hearts and a big clear crystal heart in honour of our anniversary, which was a lovely gesture on the part of the hotel. I put the crystal heart in my treasures box to treasure forever.

We sipped White Chardonnay wine with our meal. The food and service was excellent. My husband and I had a cornucopia of wild mushrooms in a cream and garlic sauce served with fresh crusty bread for our starters. My husband for his main course had sea bream served with salad and new potatoes. I had fresh crab served with a nice crisp salad and new potatoes. My husband has strawberries with Cornish Clotted cream for his dessert. I had strawberries 'Florentine' served with black pepper and balsamic vinegar, a really wonderful sweet.

Afterwards we settled into a comfy sofa in the lounge and we had coffee and petite fours for afters. We left here at 10.30 pm.

Thank You To All The Staff Who Made Our Day So Special.

If you want 5 Star Quality and a Wonderful atmosphere, then this is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol B
What a fabulous review, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments with regards to your recent visit. I hope you both had a fantastic 31st wedding anniversary and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to celebrate many more together.
The spa is a tranquil haven and perfect for those seeking a spot of rest and relaxation. I was delighted that you both left feeling truly pampered.
I was also very pleased to read you felt the food and service was excellent, we have a very talented team of chefs that are always creating new exciting dishes throughout the seasons. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
I was thrilled to read your recommendation “If you want 5 star quality and a wonderful atmosphere, then this is the place to be”.
It has been a pleasure to welcome you both for such a special occasion, we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights recently. We made a late booking so the choice of rooms was limited, we had an inland Carlyon room which was well equipped but very warm. A fan is provided but we really needed the windows opening wider, due to safety restrictors they only opened a few cms. The room itself was very nice and the bathroom clean with lots of toiletries.
Our stay was bed and breakfas, there was plenty of choice at breakfast.
The hotel is in beautiful grounds, a short walk takes you to a small cove which is currently undergoing work. A lovely cliff top stroll takes you to Charlestown which has lots of restaurants and bars; their Regatta was taking place whilst we visited so there was live music and lots of people around. We had a nice meal there and walked back along the main road.
My husband is a golfer and he enjoyed the rounds he played.
My only disappointment was that I couldn't book any treatments at the Spa as it was fully booked for the duration of our stay. I didn't want to book in advance as I was unsure of my husbands' golf tee off time as he was wiling to join others rather than play alone. I decided to just visit the Spa area on the Friday morning but found it was closed for cleaning.
We enjoyed our stay; just make sure you book any treatments before you arrive to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: There are a group of sea facing rooms that share a balcony on the first floor - beautiful views of t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Jackie R
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased to read that you have had an enjoyable experience with us. The hotel grounds are beautiful and there are many short walks available, - the coastal path to Charlestown has proven to be a favourite with our guests.
I am sure during your visit to Charlestown you were able to enjoy the lively atmosphere of the Regatta, the Regatta weeks are very popular here in Cornwall with many fantastic things to see and do.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused at the Spa, it is a very busy time of year for us and the availability can be booked up very quickly.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future, where i hope that you will be able to make full use of the Spa and treatment ranges we have available.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were looking for a short break with golf for myself and my son, spa/pool for my wife and fine dining for us all. This hotel far exceeded all the criteria.

The hotel (and the adjoining golf course) is set on a cliff top, overlooking Carlyon Bay, close to St Austell. Apparently, the hotel has been here for nearly a century, as can be surmised from it's British, half-hearted take on Art Deco architecture. From the photos on the walls, you can see it's a popular place for celebs but it's also been the site of high powered political meetings. Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern met here for a summit as part of the Northern Ireland peace process.

On check-in, the doorman (complete with top hat!) took our bags to our room. We deliberately chose a room with an inland view (i.e. it overlooked the car park) as the standard rooms are bigger on the inland side of the hotel and smaller with a sea view. So if you want a bigger room yet you also want a sea view then I believe you need to upgrade to a suite. My son had a single room with sea view. It was small (as we expected) but, like ours, very well appointed. The view was lovely. The bathroom in our room looked like it had been very recently refurbished and, although small, was excellent. Although our room was a reasonable size, the bed was a little short. It was also very warm but there was a fan in the wardrobe which we used throughout the night, to help cool us.

The public rooms (bars, lounges etc.) were luxurious but comfortable and welcoming. Loos were immaculately clean and smartly kitted out.

We were here for 2 nights and ate both nights in the main restaurant. The food was modern fine dining in style and was executed to a very high standard and all three of us really enjoyed it. Guests tended to arrive for a drink in the lounge prior to dinner, where they were able to browse the menu whilst enjoying some delicious amuse-bouches. Please note that dress is smart casual.

The staff were a credit to the hotel. Friendly and helpful, polite and efficient, without being overly formal or stuffy and clearly well trained in customer service. This was the case for all the staff we dealt with, from the door, reception, the bar, the restaurant and also by the outside pool. One example - we arrived early (the journey to Cornwall being unusually free of traffic and hold-ups) and we knew we would not be able to check into the room for some time. However, we made ourselves known to the lady on reception who recommended a pleasant walk along the cliff top to nearby Charlestown. This turned out to be a charming small port, where we happily spent a couple of hours. On returning to the hotel, our rooms were ready for us. I'm sure the receptionist has made that recommendation many times before but it was thoughtful and welcome.

As for facilities - my wife used the spa and indoor pool (golf widow!) but together we all used the outdoor pool, as the weather was lovely. It is heated - but not overly warm, I'm glad to say. There are a couple of tennis courts and we had no problem booking a slot. There is a small putting green and, best of all, a really enjoyable pitch and putt course in the attractive gardens. Clubs are available if you don't bring your own. There is free wifi and it worked well both in our room and in the public areas.

As part of our booking, myself and my son played golf on two days, on the hotel's 18 hole course. A beautiful and very well kept course, with the first few holes hugging the cliff edge. On both days, the course was busy in the morning and seemed almost empty in the afternoon and a regular told us that this was the usual weekday pattern. So if you want less queues at the tee box, you might want to consider an afternoon tee off time. If you do play in the morning and you want a buggy, book in advance. Although they have a fair number of buggys, there are a lot of senior players and the buggys were in high demand. Saying that, walking the course on foot gave us a chance to appreciate how attractive it is.

We had lunch on the terrace of the club house on one day and it was very pleasant indeed. We had baguettes and my son's ham and my beef was high quality - thick cut and plentiful.

All in all, this is a fantastic place and we had a wonderful time. OK, the beautiful weather helped but this is a really good hotel and we had a very enjoyable stay. My wife is already planning for us to return, with a group of friends.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your detailed and informative review, i was delighted to read of your experience with us and thank you for our 5 star rating.
We try to ensure that there is plenty to see and do in and around the hotel for our guests, so I was very pleased to hear that the hotel far exceeded all the criteria.
I was very satisfied you felt your rooms were well appointed and that you were able to enjoy the lovely sea views from the single room. The hotel rooms all vary in size and shape and all the standard rooms inland and sea view tend to be of a similar size.
Your comment with regards to our staff being a credit to the hotel is very pleasing to read. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto our management team and staff. We strive to provide excellent customer service throughout the hotel and your feedback is an essential part of our development.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your future stay, if you require any assistance with your group booking please call our reservations team directly who can then take care of anything for you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Didn't actually stay at the hotel, but booked to have a full body massage at the spa there. Wasn't actually too expensive and it was very very relaxing, in a lovely large therapy room with a star-effect ceiling and the staff were very nice. From what I could see of the rest of the spa area (pool, gym etc), it was very very nice, with lots of nice touches to add a little luxury.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank wakingdreams
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlyon Bay, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for leaving your review about your recent visit to our spa, i was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. The twinkle light ceilings have been a great feature for our therapy rooms adding to the relaxing ambience of the spa. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel for a future visit, where hopefully you can explore more of the hotel and facilities available.
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We got married here on 26th may 2014, bank holiday Monday. Everything went perfectly well on the day with the help of our excellent wedding planner (senior assistant manager) Marta Supranowicz who could not have been more helpful both on the day and in the run up. This is a fantastic venue for a wedding with the stunning sea views and the very helpful and friendly staff. The food was a very high standard with plenty of it and the fact that we were able to give our guest a choice of starter, main and dessert was a bonus.
We moved over to the golf club for our evening reception which continued with the excellent service and even better beautiful sea views.
We highly recommend this hotel for weddings as it totally made day extra special.
Thank you to all the management and staff involved

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulAmy2014
Firstly i would like to congratulate you both on your marriage; i was so pleased to hear that your recent wedding celebrations went perfectly well. Marta is extremely dedicated in ensuring each and every bride and groom have the day that they have always dreamed of. I know that Marta will be very touched to read your comments, as will the rest of the management and staff here at the hotel. We wish you both many happy years together and we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for future celebrations. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa

Been to The Carlyon Bay? Share your experiences!