“Busy”
Review of Holmbush Fishbar

Holmbush Fishbar
Ranked #71 of 153 Restaurants in St Austell
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Always a queue outside, but worth the wait fish and chips are very good. Staff work hard and always chatty.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Fish & Chips are great when hot and succulent! We are very disappointed . We have just had our second experience of warm soggy fish and chips from here - Advert states 'Freshly Cooked' but this perhaps means cooked an hour before and kept warm in cupboard until sold. Want to support you but why don't you only cook fish & chips to order between peak times. Giving out £30 worth of warm dried out fish is not going to enhance your trade or reputation because next time, unfortunately, means we will go somewhere else. Scampi (cooked to order) was hot and OK.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

food always fresh and hot recommend to anybody you sometimes have to queue as it is so popular. keep up the good work

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Been calling in here for years now though not on a particular regular basis as I don't live in the country but normally a couple of times each time I am. Normal fare is Haddock & Chips (with, of course, the obligatory mushy peas) but this time we went for the usual plus Scampi and I ventured for, as they looked really good, a fishcake. The Haddock was really well cooked and excellent. The batter was light and not at all greasy. The Scampi was a good portion (10pcs) and the mushy peas were tasty too. The fishcake however was a mistake. Completely tasteless, not seasoned and tasted more of bland potato than of fish. Was a shame and I'll certainly avoid them in future. Shows you that you need to believe the old motto, stick to what a place does best, so it'll be Haddock and/or Scampi & chips with mushy peas in future. Yes they're not cheap but then quality never is and gone are the days that fish & chips was the poor mans meal. A few years back 2 portions of Haddock & Chips and mushy peas cost £11,50 they now cost £14,10........... Not cheap but well worth the outlay..........

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I almost walked out of this chippy when I saw the prices, but as I'd promised my elderly mum chips I decided to go ahead. So, at over £2.50 for a large chips, I expected something very large and very good. Disappointingly the serving lady simply filled a polystyrene tray measuring about 20cmx10cm. Many places would have piled a load of chips on top before folding the paper on top. Here she did not, so the portion size was miserable for the price.

So, to the chips themselves. Quite honestly, the worst chips I've ever had. Some horrid burnt marks on the sides of some of the chips and all the chips were limp, lukewarm, and mushy, with not a hint of crispiness or browning on the edges. About a quarter of the portion was made up of very hard and very crispy inedible end bits.

Apparently this place has won awards. Either the awards are for the worst and most expensive chips in the UK, or they're from an off the shelf pay your money take your awards outfit i.e. not officially recognised.

My advice, don't get your fish and chips here. As others have said, they are simply awful. I can't believe this business can get away with selling such appalling food.