“Great Breakfast, friendly & helpful staff”
Review of Griggs Restaurant

Griggs Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 151 Restaurants in St Austell
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Griggs' Restaurant is set in the heart of Cornish countryside and is adjacent to our Country Store. Offering a large dining area and cosy sofa's for a relaxed feel as well as the option to dine al fresco on our balcony while you enjoy some stunning rural views of the surrounding farmland. With ample free parking and good public transport links, access to the restaurant is via a short flight of stairs or by lift.
Reviewed 18 January 2013

On a visit to the Griggs excellent country store. Thought I would try the restaurant for Breakfast & coffee.
What a surprise, light and airy room with views & balcony. Looks & feels like a top quality high street restaurant.
Friendly staff greeted us and took our order, breakfast & coffee came quickly & was of the highest quality, local produce cooked well, hard to fault.

Kerry V, Manager at Griggs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of our breakfast! We really appricate you taking the time to review us and are glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We try to locally source all our produce where possible and are keen to help local farmers and business where we can. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you

There are newer reviews for Griggs Restaurant

Reviewed 16 January 2013

we made a special effort one Saturday lunch to try this well promoted restaurant, first impressions were good very clean and new however looks decieve the service was very dissapointing. we were guided to about three different tables then dumped i have no other word to describe it, for 14 minutes i waited for my order to be taken no luck time to leave and find somewhere else. if you do go ensure you get the waitress to take your order immediately we were not the only ones to walk out.

2  Thank wrinklies2go
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Having visited Griggs Restaurant on a number of occasions I have never been disappointed with what is on offer. Your made to fell welcome the moment you arrive greeted and seated by the extremely friendly and very attentive waiting staff. On my last couple of visits I have sampled 2 beef dishes from the daily specials boards with all the beef coming from the restaurants own home breed and reared stock. All dishes on the menu and specials board are very reasonably priced especially given the portion on offer. Having enjoyed the Griggs experience me and my partner could not wait to try the much talked about the Griggs Sunday roast on Sunday 13th January the wait was over we arrived at approximately 1pm booking is definitely advised. The quality of the food was amazing once again, simply the best Roast potatoes ever when it came to desert there was a large selection of homemade deserts including my partner's all time favorite tiramisu having spent a lot of time in Italy due to work commitments she is often disappointed by what is on offer not this time to describe it in her own words it "was simply the best she had ever tasted" I opted for the homemade apple pie served with custard again this was just right the pastry melted in the mouth. We will defiantly be returning for another Sunday roast and will spread the word.
Also if you are visiting the restaurant we would recommend visiting the store you will be surprised what you will find there really is something for everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we really appriciate your lovely comments, and you are right, booking is definatly advised! We are glad you enojoyed our home reared and home bred beef, we also have home reared lamb availble at the moment, both very delicious! We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon. Thank you

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Reviews always leave the door open for agendas, negative or otherwise, to come into play, and a good rule of thumb is look in the car park or the restaurant.
If either is busy, the chances are that they can't all be wrong and the fare on offer is good.
If you want a Sunday lunch, be sure to book your table. Says it all really!!

Thank you for your comments. We at Griggs Restaurant will endeavour to try and please everyone and nothing is too much trouble. Booking is definatly advised on a Sunday though! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I regularly visit Griggs for my horse supplies, but when I last visited I decided to try out the restaurant for a quick bite as everyone had raved about it. Unfortunately I must have visited on a bad day.
We were greeted by a waitress – dustpan in hand (nice!) – who seemed VERY fed up. When we asked for colouring for my three year old sister, albeit on route to the table, she huffed “I’ll get it in a minute”. Fine, but there was one other table seated, she was hardly rushed off her feet, and there was no need for the blunt response – we’d just arrived.
We only wanted something small, and so when the waitress arrived we asked for some cheesy chips. I’m a ceoliac and always have to check whether chips are wheat coated. When I did, I got a very blank look and a “huh?!”. Nothing like knowing you’re in safe hands! I asked her to check with the kitchen, which she did, and returned to say that the packet didn’t say anything, so she couldn’t be sure. I couldn’t order anything to eat as there were no light snacks which were gluten free, so I had a coffee whilst my mum and sister ordered food.
On taking a second look at the menu because I really fancied those chips I noticed they offered skinny fries and assumed that if they came from a different company, they might be gluten free. I asked at the counter and was told by a different waitress that the reason I couldn’t have the chips originally was that they’d be using the fryer which they had battered a lot of fish in earlier in the day. Fair enough, until I heard another waitress say “We’ve got another fryer, can’t they use that?”. I posed the question and got a no in response, no explanation, just a no. Does this mean they couldn’t be bothered to clean the other fryer that evening, so it was just easier to tell me I couldn’t have them – I’ll have to assume so.
I was so disappointed because I’d heard such great things, but the staff really need to wise-up their allergy knowledge. Although I didn’t eat anything, to have ordered something an unsure waitress thought was gluten free wouldn’t exactly make me feel comfortable. Some enthusiasm wouldn’t go a miss, either.

2  Thank Lauren S
Kerry V, Manager at Griggs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

I am sorry hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us last Saturday evening. Our chefs try to accommodate customers needs as best they can, unfortunatly the chips have a flour coating and are unsuitable for a celiac diet, however three other potato alternatives were offered. The chefs would have been more than happy to drain a fryer however this would have taken roughly 45 minutes as they are self cleaning fryers. We do regret you not leaving very happy but we do take peoples allergies very seriously. We thank you for your feedback and we hope this does not put you off dining with us again.