“A Very Enjoyable Stay!”

Porth Avallen Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed 27 May 2011

This is now the third time that we have stayed at the Porth Avallen. This is a thoroughly warm and welcoming hotel, the food is fantastic and the hotel is very comfortable and set in lovely surroundings. Everyone is very friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about Cornwall. Although there are other hotels in the same area we wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else! We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Porth Avallen Hotel

Reviewed 3 May 2011

The location is fantastic. The Hotel is very nice and clean with friendly staff and nice grounds. Our rooms were very clean and quiet. The breakfast was GREAT. I would totally go again A*

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We booked Easter Sunday Lunch for 14, and were made to feel very welcome from the very first telephone conversation right through to paying the bill. The Table d'hote menu was excellent across three courses. The restaurant set a fabulous table with a superb view. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and all left discussing all aspects of the meal and the hotel. A Definate return journey will be planned I am sure!!!
Well done everyone at Porth Avallen!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Can't believe the other reviews I have read about this place. From the time we booked in to the time we left the staff were nothing other than very friendly & helpful. The food was delicious & plentiful (ok a bit pricey but hey, you're on holiday!!) The room was comfortable & clean & the views amazing.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

This hotel obviously owes much to its location. Set high above the beautiful village of Charlestown, the view from the hotel front garden is lovely. Once inside, however, our stay was not so lovely although the staff were friendly and efficient and the public rooms nice enough. Our bedroom took a bit of finding, up stairs, along narrow corridors, up more stairs, round corners, more corridors - quite a maze of a place. We discovered that it was actually easier to use the back door / fire exit to reach our car and to bring in our luggage that way (no help offered). Fair enough perhaps due to the older style building however our main complaint was the attitude of the owner - he really made us feel uncomfortable during our stay. Never a smile - he would walk past you without speaking, although if you said 'good morning' to him, he would grudgingly respond. It really felt as if you were 'in the way' by staying there and whenver he entered any of the public rooms it chilled the atmosphere somewhat.

There were a number of events over the few days of our stay that really grated - he gave our four year girl a row for leaving a door open in the bar which led outside to the garden. She was a bit upset and we were taken aback when he raised his voice at her. He also operates his own idea of licensing hours - we were told there was a licence until 1am due to the function we were attending and then suddenly around 11pm he announced that the bar was closed, even though the function was still in full swing. No warning or 'last orders' called! The following night we thought we would try and order a couple of drinks just around 11pm before he could do this again, howver our plan was foiled - he refused to let us order more than one drink each! No reason given!

We didn't dine in the hotel at night - the menu looked good although possibly a bit pricey. We did have an issue, though, at breakfastst. The menu is pretty wide and is all included in the B&B price, except croissants which, for some reason, are a £2.50 supplement. Now, the hotel is not cheap and we don't usually take very much from the breakfast menu, except tea/coffee, cereal and croissants but we would still have to pay the supplement, even though that was all we were having - not right, surely?

This hotel has such a lot going for it and it could be very good, but I'm afraid not whilst the current owner is in residence.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank HauditandDaudit
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Chose a 6 night stay as a surprise holiday for my wife; hotel has stunning views over Porth Avallon Bay. I booked the newly opened Suite on the top floor, essentially a loft conversion for a double bed room and integral bathroom. No Lifts to the third floor, and no assistance with the luggage was offered. Beautifully decorated bedroom, but were both surprised how small the bedroom was, offering very limited storage space for our clothes and etc. The plain glass panels in the bathroom allowed a clear view of anyone on the toilet to anyone on the bed.... not nice!! Showers invariably failed to work and the plumbing in general meant that you had to run a bath for about 60 minutes to get any appreciable levels of water. Very expensive compared to other 3 star hotels in Cornwall and Devon; not good value for money. Breakfast choice was limited to cereals served from tupperware containers and/or variations on the Full English breakfast. Dinner, on the other hand, was reasonable choice for omnivores, but veggies had limited choice, however all evening meals served to a high quality standard.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nigel H
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Hotel reception and bar :
I think it's lack of attention to detail that matters in this hotel. Everything looks very plush (big curtains and "posh" furniture") but when you look up close that's where you get disappointed - it's as if it is trying to pass off as something that it isn't (i.e.very high quality).
I think that they should be a little more honest about value for money here- establishing the highest prices that they think that they can get away with (and they obviously do! which is why it has the reviews it has on this website!).

Service:
Staff were very attentive but in my view not very professional - they tried to be your friend straight away - using very familiar tones, bit strange for an "expensive" hotel. Owner George is OK but a bit "moody" perhaps? Not too sure that he likes having customers! I steered clear of him after the first night...

Room:
We had one of the best rooms (apparently), but it was a bit pokey and you could hear the water heater every morning which was annoying. So I don't think it was anything special in fact when you think about it was pricey at a reduced rate of 120 GBP per night. I did have an average nights sleep .

Food:
The owner is a strange character - he told me it was the greatest range and freshest fish that I could get locally (obviously wanted me to eat in his restaurant - but did not give me any more information on local seafood restaurants) - they didn't have fresh mussels or crab (strange for Cornwall..?) and he did not really engage in the conversation that I tried to have with him about this and fish and how I like it cooked (he did not demonstrate any passion or excitement about cooking at all - it was more like a hard sell to get me to eat in his restaurant) . I think he thought I was fussy, but if you have guests to stay in your hotel - isn't it all about pleasing them and making their stay pleasant even if they don't eat in your restaurant every night? Saying that, the scallops were quite nice but the halibut steak did not have any taste at all.

View:
I thought the view of the bay was nice. However, when I think of the Porthavallen I don't think of the the view - I think "Trying to be something it is not - won't go back"

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business