“6 counties trip”

Ranked #14 of 97 St Austell B&B and Inns
Basildon
“6 counties trip”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We arrived at what we thought would be a great stay, we were showed to our room which was nicely furnished with contemporary furnishings ( the room was called the gig) we proceeded to have a couple of drinks in the bar and check out the evening menu which was perfectly acceptable to two weary travellers, we had a couple of drinks in the bar and then went up to the room as my wife wanted to have a relaxing soak n the bath, this was when the trouble started she ran the Tap and called me in as the water was the colour of tea, we asked for the manager to come up and see this for himself only for him to reply that he knew there was a problem but unless the owners upgraded the water inlet then there was little he could do, he did however advise that the owners knew this and still insisted that all the rooms were sold. This is the one and only time my wife and I had to seek alternative accommodation, he was very apologetic and the service up until then was good, I would never recommend this hotel unless they fix the water situation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul G
StAustellManagement, Accommodation Manager at Rashleigh Arms, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent visit. I am really sorry that you had such a negative experience and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise.

The Rashleigh Arms is an older building which needs regular maintenance and there is a rolling refurbishment programme in place. Recently there have been intermittent issues with the water supply and I would like to assure you that we have been working closely with the local authorities and that the entire system is going to be overhauled within the next month.

I am pleased that overall the service you received was good and that the Manager did his utmost to alleviate the problems. On speaking with him he explained that he did run the water for you until it was clear and also offered compensation however he understood why you wanted to seek alternative accommodation after this incident.

I have sent you a direct message as we hope that you will visit us again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Candace Jury
Accommodation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cambridge
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Despite looking inviting and having a reasonable good choice of food and drink on offer, The Rasleigh Arms let itself down with poor customer service. After waiting well over an hour for our food, the first two meals, for my wife and daughter arrived followed by another 15 minute wait for my sons and my meal to arrive. Although the food was tasty and well cooked, my wife's portion was so small I doubt it would have satisfied an infant. When asked by the waitress if everything was OK, the comment about portion size was passed off by a shrug of the shoulder and promptly ignored. There are plenty of other good pubs and restaurants locally - give the Rasliegh Arms a miss.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in July while attending a wedding in nearby Carlyon Bay.
I loved our room. It was quaint, charming and very clean. And because we booked on hotels.com, we good a good deal in comparison to other nearby/seaside accommodations (during peak tourism dates). Accommodations + hot breakfast for 330 pounds. Breakfast was delicious and portion sizes were large. It was a definite bonus to staying at the Rashleigh Arm -- if you can make it downstairs before 9:30 AM while you're on vacation (which I only managed to do 1 out of 3 days).
The owner was very friendly and hospitable. She showed us to our room which had a partial view of the water over the roofs of the houses between us and the sea and overlooked the outdoor patio which was bustling with people and sounds until about 11 PM. We're heavy sleepers at night so the noise didn't bother us.
The only sore point -- and this isn't the inn's fault -- is that every morning at 5 AM the seagulls would start squawking and squabbling outside out window. So be warned. If you want dead quiet in the morning, you should probably sleep farther away from the sea (and thus, the birds). Or bring earplugs, which we eventually ended up using.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early and require no noise to fall asleep, don't book the Sail room which overl...
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had a small family gathering at this hotel... However I was so upset and shocked by the rude ladies behind the bar .... The food which was as best I can describe as very 80's ...the out door hygiene I could honestly describe as... Dirty cigarette buts all over the floor!!!! I would never go ther e again, I would never waste my hard earned money on this .... These people just want your money and the bar staff commented several times to other locals about the tourists......mental really !! I gave someone my money that I earned working hard ...and it was wasted !!!

Room Tip: Do not touch !! Go to the premier inn which was clean , friendly and value for money !!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
StAustellManagement, Revenue Manager at Rashleigh Arms, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your recent review. With regards to the standards of the food and levels of service you encountered I can only apologise - we certainly take your comments very seriously and will be looking into the points raised. I was surprised to read your comments about the outside areas; hygiene and cleanliness are of utmost importance to us and this is by no means representative of our normal standards. I have sent you a direct message as I would personally like to talk to you about your visit in more detail. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Candace Jury
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Beautiful setting, good quality rooms
Extremely expensive, quoted £75 on the phone, booked and arrived late evening and told cost £95 (One person), what can you do late at night.
Extremely noisy, beer garden outside one window, other window on the main road. Do not sleep all night. Other customers also complaining at reception in the morning.
Assistant manageress Nick'y, very rude and stated that she could not control the traffic or other noise like the beer garden and extractor fans going until after midnight. Their windows are single glazed, a dramatic improvement can be gained with fitting Secondary Glazing.
Nick'y also stated that she would get the manager or brewery to email or call me, guess what, no email or phone call.
Basically all they want is to take your money and really do not care if you do not enjoy your stay, because of the location more people will come.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Belfast
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed in "Gig" room, and found the room to be modern, well equipped and comfortable. Also had a small sofa, coffee table. The room is situated on the top floor by roof fans for the hotel so can be noisy, but we were assured at check in that these were switched off at night - and they were.

Also meant that the room was quite hot (but fan was provided).

Bar food was excellent, so was breakfast. Large pub garden with plenty of tables so you can eat outside - watch out for seagulls though.

Hotel is short walk from harbour and has ample on site parking. Would recommend as a great base for exploring this part of Cornwall.

UK
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the "SAIL" room ( they have names instead of numbers...quaint ... which was well equipped nice and clean with white linen in a lovely new england decorated room, the location is terriffic not only because its 2 minutes walk from the beach/ seafront, but its only 10 minutes from the Eden Project, which was the focus of our visit, food is good and service OK, staff very helpful...nicely run... would recommend

Room Tip: We stayed in SAIL which overlooks the garden, was a little noisey up until 11:30