This inn was picked based on prior feedback for the location and I was not disappointed. The exterior does not give away the pleasures to be found within. In particular, the staff have clearly been well trained, not just in being polite but in naturally engaging with the guests and in providing excellent customer service. The lovely lady who served breakfast was like my favourite aunt - warm, genuine and made me feel most welcome and spoilt. I had a recently refurbished room which was super comfortable and well equipped with some lovely little touches that exceeded expectations.
The dinner menu was of the pub chain style which was a bit disappointing; ' big boy' burger and 'foot-long' hot dog were pushed by the staff as exemplars. I opted for the fish special which was unfortunately over-cooked and had conflicting flavours. The wine list was also disappointing, again typical of pub chains,with low quality and high margins rather than quality.
However, as a venue for exploring the area this Inn is great value with a lovely location with a preserved port. I would not hesitate to recommend this venue and I'm sure that they will improve the menu and wine list. The staff are truly wonderful and the best I have seen for many a moon. Well done!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rashleigh Arms was built in 1851 on the foundations of old clay cellars and was given its name after the creator of Charlestown Harbour, formerly West Polmear, Charles Rashleigh. It also boasts probably one of the only Grade II listed car parks in the country, basically the site of old coal storage yards, and is situated in a World Heritage Site. The Rashleigh is ideally positioned in central Cornwall and provides an excellent jump off point for lots of great attractions with the world famous Eden Project and The Lost Gardens of Heligan within five miles radius. We are also within sight of the historic Tall Ships and Charlestown harbour, a world heritage site and an attraction in itself. The Pub has moved with times and although over 150 years old boasts eight four star gold rated rooms, a public bar, popular with the locals that shows all live sport and has great bands every fortnight. Our lounge bar is fantastic for relaxing in with large leather sofas and armchairs with a touch of historic Charlestown. The restaurant is modern, open plan and serves locally sourced food from 12 - 9pm every day; and if the weather's good our patio and garden is the ideal place to spend a few hours or more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rashleigh Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rashleigh Arms Hotel St Austell
- Rashleigh Arms Cornwall/St Austell